Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ultimatemegax
Feb 20, 2006

Damn Kiva symbols....

Xythar posted:

I'll also be checking out that bunny cafe show (no, not that kind of bunny cafe) because it's by White Fox and sounds like it could be cute. Beyond that, just whatever else catches my attention, really.
Be cautious about choosing shows by studios. The more important issue is to look at the main staff (Director/Series Composition/Chief Animation Director). The Director for this show is Hiroyuki Hashimoto in his first production as director. He's directed several episodes of different series ranging from 3 episodes of Angel Beats, an episode of Ben-to, an episode of Maou-sama, and an episode of Sonico. The Series Composer is Kazuyuki Fudeyasu, who composed the Hajime no Ippo series, Magical War from this season, and Ben-to. The Chief AD is Yousuke Okuda in his first job as Chief AD, which may not bode well since he's not had a lot of experience as an AD. This is throwing up some warning messages in my view. If you're thinking the same staff from Steins;Gate and Maou-sama are on this, you're incorrect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultimatemegax
Feb 20, 2006

Damn Kiva symbols....

aers posted:

megax can tell you more but anime doesn't work this way. Studios don't make a ton of money from LN adaptations due to the way anime is funded (production committees etc).

Also KLK doesn't have budget issues.

KLK has scheduling issues (as has become apparent by all the delays for simulcasting). The lack of quality that's been touted as "Aniplex giving Trigger a small budget" is due to a new company not being able to schedule a 20+ episode series (which is why it's kinda stupid to give them that amount of time, but eh).

Most anime studios don't make a ton of money to begin with. Sunrise, IG, and KyoAni are the big names from late night series that make the most money, but you'll see Pierrot and Toei make money from their daytime series due to being on those production committees and getting money from merch revenue. Khara and Ghibli are their own little worlds where they can self-fund creations. The other studios may contribute some (and get some back) from committees, but a lot don't even do that. Even original series only benefit the studio some if they hold the "original creator" title that'll give them some revenue back from literally everything.

Trigger's parent company is on the committee for KLK, but they aren't. They may get some of that flowing down to them or not. They'll get a good check as part of the "original creator" but that's all that is guaranteed.

LN adaptations are done when a publisher wants to promote a series. GA Bunko (that publisher) doesn't often get on the committee (I've seen Softbank Creative, their parent company on a couple though). This will be mostly funded by a video/audio distrubtor. Ultra Super Pictures should get some revenue from it, but who knows about Trigger themselves.

ultimatemegax
Feb 20, 2006

Damn Kiva symbols....

Cao Ni Ma posted:

The delays have nothing to do with scheduling. All the official non english translations have been delivered on time although the quality of them is pretty much speed subs more than anything.

Trigger does have staff that could pump really good animation, the issue is that they keep farming off people to work on other studios larger projects. I had assume that with valvrave and yozakura ending last season they could concentrate their efforts on KLK but instead opt in to work on yet another derivative LN adaptation :(.

From someone who knows a lot more about this than either of us:

"Justin Sevakis posted:

Anime TV production schedules are insane, and often times a new episode is finished only hours before it's supposed to premiere. That isn't enough time to translate, timecode the subtitle script, proof-read, submit for approval, wait for any changes from the licensor, implement those changes, and export. It's just not. Hence, simulcasts occasionally get delayed.

There are occasions where a non-English subtitled version gets put up before the English one. I'm not entirely sure why this is, but I do know that most licensors don't have staff that speak every language (usually just English), and so the approvals process for those languages is probably greatly diminished compared to English, if they even have to get approvals at all.

With that step removed from the subtitle process, things would indeed go a lot faster, and result in a lot fewer delays.

With Samurai Flamenco of all things coming out on time (pre-screenings have reported that storyboards were shown because it wasn't done then), it points back to delays with Trigger being the cause. There's been weeks where an episode is on time and weeks where it gets delayed more than 36 hours, which really says "something's going on with scheduling" more than "something's wrong with Aniplex." None of the other Aniplex titles have been delayed this much (maybe a couple hours iirc).

The second half of your post points to why the scheduling is so poor: management has allocated too few people in little time to work on it. Nothing to do with "budget" at all.

ultimatemegax
Feb 20, 2006

Damn Kiva symbols....

Cao Ni Ma posted:

I know that, its just that you are saying that the delays in the translations are directly attributed to that when thats not been the case for the other 4 languages the anime is getting simulcasted in.

I do not doubt that they are cutting it close, but this is an issue with just about every anime that gets released now days.
When a show that we know has scheduling problems comes out on time every week in multiple languages, but another show is variable in its delay for English, that would indicate it has worse scheduling than the other show. That's really the only explanation that makes sense.

ultimatemegax
Feb 20, 2006

Damn Kiva symbols....

a kitten posted:

It's listed as 13, but man do I hope that that is somehow wrong and they just keep cranking them out. Kana Hanazawa is already in 400 things, what's one 5 minute show? She can probably do that on her lunch break!
They're wrong. It's 21 episodes long as the second DVD-box holds episodes 11-21.

ultimatemegax
Feb 20, 2006

Damn Kiva symbols....

Aleksei Vasiliev posted:

Only 13 episodes are airing, they're correct but somewhat misleading.
No. The listing I provided said "各巻に未放送・未配信のオリジナルアニメを収録。" (Each box includes an un-televised, un-streamed original short.) That wouldn't be present if 8 out of the 21 episodes weren't airing somewhere. TV Tokyo and AT-X are on the committee and will likely air the shorts continuing into Spring.

ultimatemegax
Feb 20, 2006

Damn Kiva symbols....

Paracelsus posted:

More likely it's the production committee that jointly holds the rights. Remember, studios rarely directly foot the entire bill for a series, so it's going to be a work for hire and the rights are held by the employer. In Japan when the employer is a juridical person rather than a natural one the term of the copyright is limited to 50 years, but cinematographic works have a term of 70 years and I'm not clear on how the two rules interact.
"Original Creator": Gainax (TV Series)/Hideaki Anno (New Theatrical Editions) - Gets cut of everything as original creator.
"Production": TV Tokyo/NAS (TV Series)/ Studio Khara (New Theatrical Editions) - Paid for production to be made

There's several different copyrights for the series. Recent ones have been Gainax-Khara/Project Eva (showing Gainax/Khara as original creators and the committee (TV Tokyo/NAS/King Records most likely) as the anime rights holders for various purposes) and Gainax-Khara/Eva Production committee (same thing).

(In short, Gainax is still getting Eva money.)

ultimatemegax
Feb 20, 2006

Damn Kiva symbols....

Delusibeta posted:

And nobody has announced that they picked it up for the UK yet, which is really annoying considering the UK was explicitly excluded from the Crunchyroll listing. Someone has it, but they haven't started streaming it yet.
Funimation will often pick up all English speaking territory rights for a show and sublicense the UK rights to someone in the UK. Right now it just appears like they're sitting on them and the UK gets to suffer from their greed.

ultimatemegax
Feb 20, 2006

Damn Kiva symbols....

Shere posted:

Sounded great to me, of course it's irrelevant because Aniplex is charging an amount of money that is many, many, things before it's an anime I liked.

I just don't understand why, especially when Funimation seems to be having tons of success at more reasonable price points, even when they do the stupid thing where they break a show into two half sets at $40 a pop. Even NIS America has more reasonable price points, and I often balk at what they charge.

I'm just bitter that I'll never own Fate/Zero, really.

There's been a decline in people who buy anime, even the really really really cheap Funimation SAVE sets which have now become what people claim should be the price for everything. Funi has a few series which have a large fanbase that'll buy every set (DBZ, One Piece, Fairy Tail) which brings in a lot of profits for those cheap sets. They more than subsidize things like "Princess Jellyfish" which couldn't even sell out it's LE.

AoA doesn't have that and only licenses from their parent company. They're also under pressure from said parent company to stop people reverse importing Aniplex shows back into Japan to raise the parent company's profits (do a search on Amazon Japan and be surprised how many Funi/Sentai/Viz titles pop up). Thus to remain profitable and to satisfy the parent company and collectors, they put out these LEs in singles with bonus items like the soundtrack or interviews. Kill la Kill had 5 bonus discs they could bring over (music/documentaries), so that's likely why it's 5 volumes. They also have to cover the cost of dubbing as infrequently as they do (costs are lower for Funi/Sentai due to owning their own studios).

NISA manages costs very well. Everything gets that same size box with 2 small cases and the book. Thus they can easily cover the costs of print runs of their premium editions and use cheaper materials for the re-printings in the standard editions. Toradora has a newer size box, but Cardcaptor Sakura is using it as well and both titles will cover the additional costs to print those.

In short, blame people for not buying anime for how expensive it's gotten. If more people bought, companies like Funi/Sentai/Viz could pay more to the Japanese side (who actually fund these shows for more than pennies on the dollars you pay for an R1 set) and AoA wouldn't have been made.

ultimatemegax
Feb 20, 2006

Damn Kiva symbols....

uuuummm posted:

Thanks for that informative explanation. So, what should poor slackers like myself do if we want to support the creators but can't afford the dvds? Buy figures? Crunchyroll? Anonymous donations? Trigger need a budget for Inferno Cop 2.
Ultimately buying stuff made outside Japan doesn't really have a good ratio of money going back to Japan per product. Figures depend on who's on the committee. With Good Smile owning part of Ultra Super Pictures, the company Trigger is a part of, figures would be a good option here if they're from GSC. The chief company responsible for funding KLK was Aniplex, so importing the CDs is another great choice. They're cheaper and you put back money straight into that production.

If you want to support Trigger directly, they've made it somewhat easier by opening their own store. Shipping is more expensive there, but will give a lot of that MSRP to their own company rather than to a third party store.

Note: not every studio has a store or are on the committee. Be smart and look up who is on the committee to get best return for your money if you want to spend this way. Crunchyroll pays Aniplex of Japan a small amount to simulcast it, so watch it legally, but don't think it'll give a lot back.

ultimatemegax
Feb 20, 2006

Damn Kiva symbols....

The Monkey Man posted:

I frequently see a credit for "Planning" in anime; the only other place where I've seen this credit is in Japanese monster movies. What exactly do people credited with "Planning" do?
Those people tend to be the ones who had the idea to make a certain work (TV series, OVA, movie, etc) and plan how the multimedia links will go alongside when it'll air and such. For example, if you have Aniplex and Bandai Namco Games members on your planning board, you'll organize the time of airing/screening to match with the video game release to hype it while it's airing. Usually those people are credited in the order of how much their company contributed to the work. Other details are handled by producers, but the big decisions (will it be animated, budget, time to make, length (not necessarily movie length, but episode length), etc) are handled by the planners.

ultimatemegax
Feb 20, 2006

Damn Kiva symbols....
Posting this so there's no mistakes in translation/hearsay.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gVroDBNMJLI
Newtype and Sankyo have collaborated and paid Kyoto Animation to make a short music video to promote Sankyo's upcoming "Super The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya" pachinko game. They've taken the video and converted it into 707 frames spread around Japan on billboards, convenience stores, magazines, and websites. Users can upload these frames to the official website where they'll be placed in proper position for the music video (set to "Lost my music").

This is not a new anime series, movie, ova, etc. It's simply a video to promote the pachinko game.

ultimatemegax
Feb 20, 2006

Damn Kiva symbols....

Furious Lobster posted:

Not sure if the above is surprising/newsworthy, I'm a little confused, but it's much like the commercial that Makoto Shinkai made for a correspondence education service.

It's more that there'll be someone who sees "new Haruhi anime!" and jumps to the conclusion that it's a full length series, movie, or OVA and I wanted to stop the idiocy before it starts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultimatemegax
Feb 20, 2006

Damn Kiva symbols....

Namtab posted:

Pretty much everything after disappearance has, iirc, been filler poo poo (I haven't read the latest one that got released after a 4 year gap or w/e), except for the three paragraphs they took to resolve the last of the timetravel stuff in Disappearance.

Haruhi season 2 should really just be treated as season 1.5 cause it's literally all filler material, except for the fact that endless eight is kinda the precursor to the disappearance movie.

I don't think the author actually knows where he wants the series to go or how he wants it to end.
Basically everything prior to Disappearance is building up the characters and how they find ways to keep Haruhi out of what she'll do. It's all internal issues within the Brigade. Everything afterwards becomes outside-related. It feels different because it is. I personally like Intrigues and loved the second Surprise novel (unrelated to actually working on the thing), but peoples' tastes vary.

What everyone (including licensors) want to call "season 2" is honestly adding episodes to what aired in 2006 and was addressed as such. It's officially called a "new animation" and was sold in a way to fit with the previous volumes. Western fans want to ignore that those 14 episodes have never been aired by themselves instead of thinking of the series as now a 28 episode set, as it's aired since 2009 on multiple occasions and was sold as such in the BD-box. It's not a "marketing event" or meant to fool people into thinking a second season wasn't coming; it made the drat thing into one season.

Tanigawa said in a discussion with Ito and two Sneaker editors that he already had the plot of the next novel figured out back in April 2011, but evidently he's had a huge case of writers' cramp regarding it. He's wrote one short that was Haruhi-related ("Random Numbers", something you're not missing out on) and one short that wasn't ("Round-Trip", a love story published in a Sneaker anthology) since 2011. Who knows what's happening with him, but it's easily cramping any anime continuation of the main series (Yuki-chan is promoting that manga).

• Locked thread