Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Shbobdb posted:

Anyone have any tips for maintaining motivation while you are crushing it? Early into the half, I managed to nail a huge account so I was riding at 120%. With my pre-existing customers, looking to close the half at a little over 160%. Not bad. Gonna get a whole new target, but that's OK. I haven't been dogging it, per se, I have a wedding to pay for and every extra dollar matters. But I got lucky and landed a huge account and I'll admit that I've been lazier than I should have been since then. It's too late for me not to have a seriously increased number next half, but I have been trying to manage expectations about the repeatability of this kind of a deal. Trying to get back into it (got a couple of really strong prospects, things are going well) but it's hard to act hungry after an all-you-can-eat buffet.

I've been moving, but less than I'd like. Well, that's not true. Yangming teaches that thought/desire and action are one-and-the-same. But that is where self-cultivation comes in. Any suggestions for how to act hungry when you are full? How to set-up the next half (especially after you've really hosed your numbers) without accidentally loving your numbers even more? Right now all I've got is the "aloof salesman game" to draw things out and accepting the attrition But that is a sloppy move and I'd rather get greased with the system.

Everyday is a new day. Laziness is unavoidable, but if the job you are doing is because it's what you enjoy, that allows you to keep a better focus even when you either max out or are comfortable.

I max out a lot at my job, and try to be nice and let others get some extra sales, but they just usually won't take the numbers anyway, so usually I just go "gently caress it" and keep moving hard. You gotta enjoy what you do.

And I would add there is a difference between killing numbers and working to the point of burning out. Avoid burning out at all costs, take advantage of time off, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
Those of you doing B2B sales, what does your normal day look like? Is your role purely new business or do you also manage your existing accounts? If you're managing your existing accounts how often are you in touch with them?

I'm relatively new to enterprise B2B sales and trying to get my routines established so was just looking for some anecdotal stories.

prezbuluskey
Jul 23, 2007
A life, Jimmy, you know what that is? It's the shit that happens while you're waiting for moments that never come.

Lyon posted:

Those of you doing B2B sales, what does your normal day look like? Is your role purely new business or do you also manage your existing accounts? If you're managing your existing accounts how often are you in touch with them?

I'm relatively new to enterprise B2B sales and trying to get my routines established so was just looking for some anecdotal stories.

The way things are set up where I am is that there is a business development side and account management side. BD is referred to as sales and once the sale is made it goes to the AM side permanently, where the account is managed for check ins, intro calls, and renewals. AMs and BDs work together but not necessarily on a regular basis.

Who Is Paul Blart
Oct 22, 2010

Lyon posted:

At my company my time is split between the two. I'm in inside b2b sales and I have no outside counterpart, so I tend to split my one between cold calling into new accounts and managing my relationships with already existing customers.

It depends on where you are in your career; the newer you are the more prospecting you'll need to do, but once you have a good book of business and some quality customers you can back off on prospecting a bit and spend your tie expanding your wallet share within those customers. Just don't stop prospecting altogether, that's when people wind up screwed when your contacts quit or lose their job.

lazercunt
Oct 26, 2007

It was a narcotics raid, not a Fritos raid.

Lyon posted:

I work only in B2B, only established accounts. I'm a tobacco rep, and work with retailers (yay). For established business, I'm always looking for "gaps" in business, on top of the normal stuff (ie signage changes, price changes, holiday booking and things). For our business, we lead in every category, so finding incremental growth is difficult.

Established business is much more about relationships and partnership for success. I meet with these accounts every month. I can't just make the sale and walk away, even if it bumps my numbers one month and hurts another. It's really about building a lasting infrastructure so that your clients can continue to grow, biased to you.

In terms of keeping in touch, I'm making a sales call at their store once a month, about an hour a month. On top of that, I'm taking calls and putting out fires over the phone or email when I need to. If something comes up in the middle of my sales cycle that seems DEFCON 1 then I can make it happen, but I prefer to keep my call coverage done by geography so I can keep it as consistent as possible and minimize windshield time.

For my wholesale accounts, I'm in touch with them almost daily. They love me and I love them, and it's beyond useful to have great relationships with them when I have retailers who get supplied by them. Makes ordering new product much less of a hassle, and you can pick up some interesting info on the side.

My day usually has 6 or 7 sales calls. I put 30 minutes or so up-front of planning, looking at data, and jotting down some notes about what I want to sell in that day. Once I'm at the call, I take a second to review those notes, any follow-ups, and get my stuff together. Then it's assess, sell, and execute. Take down any follow-up notes and go on to the next one. You should always have something to follow up on. If you didn't, you forgot something.

Alastor_the_Stylish
Jul 25, 2006

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

What would be a good way to tell a salesman to chill out and give the engineers enough information do their jobs? We have one salesman at our company who thinks the Engineering department is a wealth of unlimited designs and price estimates available at an instant. He'll submit a request for a design based on one email from a customer, then with each subsequent email in that conversation as he narrows down the specs he'll submit another engineering request for another design each with a more refined set of specs.

Otherwise, he'll submit a request with some specs and then when engineering comes up with a design he'll say "Actually I was expecting something more like we did for this other customer..." when there's a specific place for reference material on the request form. I get that there's a certain part of the sales personality that needs to say yes before the customer asks the question, but the way this is going now has to stop.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
It depends on what you are offering, but I wouldn't worry about that particular rep too much. Also ask them how their numbers are doing -- my guess is they aren't great. A big part of sales is navigating between what the customer wants, what the customer needs and what we can offer. Techs can finesse that last one a little bit but that shouldn't be the "go to" response.

One thing you can do to help is arrange a conference call with the sales team for product training. Or possibly a one-on-one call with this rep (people usually don't like to be singled out, so a team call is probably better). If they keep needing custom solutions, it sounds like they may not fully understand the product they are selling. That leads to all kinds of weird panics where the rep has overpromised, so now it's your job to fix the mess they made with a custom solution. Oh, and it needs to be done ASAP of course.

Part of it too is that a lot of reps think that engineers sit around all day doing nothing, waiting in reserve for a rep to call and "activate" them for a special task. Obviously, that is not the case. Politely letting them know that you are very busy so having more information from the start will let you better deliver what they need.

But my guess is more training is needed. Talk with their manager about getting more training for them.

Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

I just want to say kudos to you guys for being in this profession and being good at it. I was in commission-based sales for about a year and it was... well, let's just say that I am the most milquetoast person you will ever meet and both customers and my co-workers walked all over me. :sigh:

I only got the job because I had been unemployed for a while and was desperate, and I think I only kept the job for as long as I did because the boss felt sorry for pitiful little me. Even so I hardly made any money because I am just that dismal at selling anything.

So yeah, props to you guys for doing this stuff.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Honestly, I love it -- I don't know why I ever did anything else. Emotionally speaking, my worst days in sales are on par with my better-than-average days as a bench scientist. You just gotta put yourself out there (and have a massively underdeveloped territory, so customers are screaming for attention).

lazercunt
Oct 26, 2007

Shbobdb posted:

Honestly, I love it -- I don't know why I ever did anything else. Emotionally speaking, my worst days in sales are on par with my better-than-average days as a bench scientist. You just gotta put yourself out there (and have a massively underdeveloped territory, so customers are screaming for attention).

Sales is a ton of fun, but I think you can let it drag you down if you aren't careful. It's easy to get into a funk if you let a bad call influence your next one. Especially at the end of a sales cycle, if you end up being cluttered with poo poo calls that you've postponed because you know they suck.

But if you can keep an open and positive mind about things and try to find the little victories and opportunities in every call, it can be very rewarding.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
I love my sales job and wouldn't do anything else. My work/life balance is amazing, my paycheck, HOLY poo poo, a quarter's commission is more than I made in year at my previous job. The job I have now is easily the best job I've ever had, and it is a great set-up for an amazing career.

While it is easily the best thing ever, sales is also something that no one imagines themselves rockin'. You know? My Dad was a salesman and I sure as poo poo didn't want to be a salesman. Now I am one and I love the poo poo out of it. But there is like, I don't know, an emptiness, I guess?

Right now I'm channelling that emptiness towards climbing the corporate ladder because it is there. Also because my income has doubled every year for the last 4 years and I figure I may as well keep chasing that dragon for as long as I can.

I mean, I'm already a baller were it not for the Joneses and I'm pretty sure I'm loving Jones' wife so even if he has a bigger house I still kinda win.

But that isn't sustainable. So, long-term, what do you do? I can't bank on youth and exponential growth. Middle-management and having kids seems the standard response and I'm very amenable to that path, but let me know what else you've got. I like seeing my options while I still have the ability to decide.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
Anyone try Jim Camp negotiation? I read 50 pages of one his ebooks (it got redundant after that), and was wondering what exactly his magic checklist is. I've had good luck in implementing other techniques but wondered what anyone else knew.

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Shbobdb posted:

THE EMPTINESS

I think all sales people have this feeling. No matter how great I am doing, there isn't a since of accomplishment I think. Landing large accounts/prestigious accounts, getting paid poo poo tons, or knowing you won over [rival company name here] feels great and all. But that void is still there it seems. The work to life balance is amazing though.

For me the emptiness is lack of challenge and grass is greener, I believe. But whenever I think of making a switch over to operations, I just listen to them on break bitch about not having enough money. That keeps me motivated.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
I'm slowly getting into HVAC/Temperature Controls sales. I've worked a bit with it in the past, installing digital systems into commercial buildings and providing layouts for frontends over the internet. I also have a few years in cellphone sales and several in PC/printer tech support.

I worked for Samsung for a few months earlier this year and they provided some pretty good sales, but it was retail and holy poo poo does that get long in the tooth. It was a ton of fun though talking about the GS5 every day but honestly the constant weekends and terrible environment were burning me out. That and no commission so it didn't matter how many I sold and if I wanted to move up I had to relocate 150 miles just to be a supervisor.

What I'll primarily now be doing is being a middleman between our techs who do installs/service/maintenance and the guys who pay the bills. What I've discovered in this industry is that so many times you get little to no interaction about what's been done and no real statement other than the word of the tech. So for the first 6 months or so I'm just going to be learning the ins and outs of the company and how they run business, trying to take in as much as possible. I guess sales in this industry isn't all that common for commercial, but rather residential which we don't or won't do.

The thing I'm worried about is if I don't like it in a year or so, my father works in the same industry and works 50-60 hours a week and is stressed constantly but I believe that's the company's fault for not giving him some underlings to distribute his workload. But he's also regarded as one of the most respected guys in the state according to many companies.

I guess I'm not sure how to tackle this other than just simply getting my feet wet. From the little googling I've done I've found a bunch of stuff on residential sales but not so much on commercial.

lazercunt
Oct 26, 2007

Snatch Duster posted:

I think all sales people have this feeling. No matter how great I am doing, there isn't a since of accomplishment I think. Landing large accounts/prestigious accounts, getting paid poo poo tons, or knowing you won over [rival company name here] feels great and all. But that void is still there it seems. The work to life balance is amazing though.

For me the emptiness is lack of challenge and grass is greener, I believe. But whenever I think of making a switch over to operations, I just listen to them on break bitch about not having enough money. That keeps me motivated.

I think it might be more for people in new account/cold calling kind of sales. I only do established account sales (I'm a tobacco rep) and I don't think it has the same feeling. Everyone knows who I am and remembers me when I walk in the door, for better or worse, and that's a cool feeling.

There's absolutely times that it can be draining as hell to slog through, but seeing the change in the business towards my products, and seeing the real impacts of everything we do and the way it impacts my clients is a good feeling. Find value in the ways you can positively impact the client and evaluate success on that.

In response to the Jim Camp negotiation thing, it's a pretty simple philosophy. Ask questions, don't make assumptions, and negotiate based on the principles of of the topic. I think a better, clearer philosophy for that kind of negotiation is in something like Getting to Yes.

In my business, the first question to ask is "what are your goals with the category?" It could be "make more money," and it usually is, but you'll find people who are motivated by different things. Bob looks at Category X as a loss leader for his business, but Jim sees the same category as a competitive way to differentiate. You should know your product's features and benefits and how they fit into different client visions, and sell appropriately. If someone says no, come back quickly. They spend dead air building resistance.

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

lazercunt posted:

I think it might be more for people in new account/cold calling kind of sales. I only do established account sales (I'm a tobacco rep) and I don't think it has the same feeling. Everyone knows who I am and remembers me when I walk in the door, for better or worse, and that's a cool feeling.

There's absolutely times that it can be draining as hell to slog through, but seeing the change in the business towards my products, and seeing the real impacts of everything we do and the way it impacts my clients is a good feeling. Find value in the ways you can positively impact the client and evaluate success on that.

In response to the Jim Camp negotiation thing, it's a pretty simple philosophy. Ask questions, don't make assumptions, and negotiate based on the principles of of the topic. I think a better, clearer philosophy for that kind of negotiation is in something like Getting to Yes.

In my business, the first question to ask is "what are your goals with the category?" It could be "make more money," and it usually is, but you'll find people who are motivated by different things. Bob looks at Category X as a loss leader for his business, but Jim sees the same category as a competitive way to differentiate. You should know your product's features and benefits and how they fit into different client visions, and sell appropriately. If someone says no, come back quickly. They spend dead air building resistance.

Cold calling is lovely but you have to do it. To me, it never was soul crushing, I am at the point in my career where 80% of my new business is referrals. The challenge is gone and the high of closing is mild at best.

Jim Camp is like every book on selling I have read. After reading SPIN Selling, I immediately compare the new books process to SPIN. Its like Kant but for sales.

I been training two new people and I love seeing them grow, but when comparing them to me at that time in my career they are slacking. Are there any good reads on motivating or structuring junior sales roles?

Fisticuffs
Aug 9, 2007

Okay you a goon but what's a goon to a goblin?
Thread,

I work in inside sales and have for about two years now. Honestly, I hated my last position even though it was the best paying job I had ever had at that point ($30k + commission landed me at about $45k, at goal for the year was $48k). That job was even fairly easy, and I made goal most months as evidenced by the above. I didn't have to do any prospecting and all the leads were at least somewhat warm. Calls weren't and aren't that bad, but I psyched myself out of making them a lot. My typical pattern was to meet my revenue goal in week three or halfway through the last week of the month and spend the rest of the time making up for not meeking my productivity metrics to that point. I was spinning my wheels so I moved across country to save money and hopefully start a business a few years down the line.

I got another sales gig and it's a much better opportunity. My base is literally double what I was making before and the at goal money is about double as well. I'm not sure I'll like the work much more(the last product I sold was a great product which genuinely helped people and completing sales was also satisfying there so that should be a constant), but being that I have a much larger opportunity to make money and I have the long term goal of getting the gently caress out and starting a business in another field... how can I best set myself up to crush it here for the next two or three years?

My first thought is to just make sure I'm pounding the phones harder than I used to. I'm going to shoot for at least 115% of our productivity metrics over the course of every month, which should give me a really good chance to consistently meet goal. I'll be prospecting my own leads for the first time, which I am somewhat anxious about... I just want to make sure I do as well as I can. I'm looking over all the book reviews in this thread and I'm going over the Xerox method to see if there are any nuggets that may be salient to me but... is there anything else? My start date isn't until a month from now... how can I prepare myself to really hit the ground running here?

Fisticuffs fucked around with this message at 09:09 on Aug 14, 2014

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Fisticuffs posted:

Thread,

I work in inside sales and have for about two years now. Honestly, I hated my last position even though it was the best paying job I had ever had at that point ($30k + commission landed me at about $45k, at goal for the year was $48k). That job was even fairly easy, and I made goal most months as evidenced by the above. I didn't have to do any prospecting and all the leads were at least somewhat warm. Calls weren't and aren't that bad, but I psyched myself out of making them a lot. My typical pattern was to meet my revenue goal in week three or halfway through the last week of the month and spend the rest of the time making up for not meeking my productivity metrics to that point. I was spinning my wheels so I moved across country to save money and hopefully start a business a few years down the line.

I got another sales gig and it's a much better opportunity. My base is literally double what I was making before and the at goal money is about double as well. I'm not sure I'll like the work much more(the last product I sold was a great product which genuinely helped people and completing sales was also satisfying there so that should be a constant), but being that I have a much larger opportunity to make money and I have the long term goal of getting the gently caress out and starting a business in another field... how can I best set myself up to crush it here for the next two or three years?

My first thought is to just make sure I'm pounding the phones harder than I used to. I'm going to shoot for at least 115% of our productivity metrics over the course of every month, which should give me a really good chance to consistently meet goal. I'll be prospecting my own leads for the first time, which I am somewhat anxious about... I just want to make sure I do as well as I can. I'm looking over all the book reviews in this thread and I'm going over the Xerox method to see if there are any nuggets that may be salient to me but... is there anything else? My start date isn't until a month from now... how can I prepare myself to really hit the ground running here?

I highly recommend moving into referral selling as fast as possible. Every referral needs to be a solid lead, otherwise they are luke warm leads that you get from management and you'll be slamming your head into the phone everyday cold calling. Asking off hand or mentioning you work off of referrals will not generate quality leads, at best you'll get a bunch of throw away names. You need to be methodical with your approach. Make everything about you scream "I WORK OFF OF REFERRALS, YOU ARE LUCKY I EVEN FOUND YOU!"

To nurture this aura that you are a referral guy, there is several things you need to do. Your voicemail tells the caller that you are engaged with client because as they know, your clients are the most important thing to you. But you will call them back at [dedicated time] in the order that you received the calls. Or they can reach you at your email. The next thing you do is open and subtly drop in that you work mainly off of referrals in your selling phase with new prospects. This will prep them later for you asking to set up a meeting to go over referrals.

Offering compensation as a bonus for referrals that become clients is another great way to warm clients up to the idea. This creates a win/win/win scenario which people are always open to. You get new business, your client gets $$$ off his next bill, and your new client gets product/service she needs.

Once you have satisfied your customers needs and they are happy with you, schedule a referral meeting. Before the meeting, spend 45 minutes going through your client's LinkedIn account and find connections that could use your product/service. Ask your client how well they know these people, could they use my product/service, is it ok if I name drop you. Then take notes on each possible referral. Come up with 5 - 7 possible referrals, a few will be garbage but maybe 3 will be a strong lead. At this point your client should be excited by the possibility of getting compensation, helping you, and looking like a hero to your referrals that she'll give you several more that she has thought of during the meeting.

It is also key to remind your clients that you do sales, but the most important thing to you isn't money but referrals. Your clients and potential clients success is what drives you, and that you work super duper hard for them. Referrals isn't a nice bonus for a job well done, it is your compensation.

Lando2
Jan 16, 2010

Turns out just hunks
I'm wondering if anyone can elaborate on Car Sales (Krono99). It's something I've always had an interest in but I don't know the ins and outs of which dealerships to apply to, used or new or combination. Should I start on commission right away or look for a salary + commission?

A local place I applied to by an airport basically wants me to work for them immediately. I originally saw their ad on Craigslist and sent over an email. Walked in the next day, saw the lot (Basic used car lot with trailer) and had a chat with the sales manager. Everything seemed okay but I was hesitant to accept because it was my first interview. The owner called me today and we got to talking, explaining his philosophy and basically told me if I want to make money I should just show up and sell (With some training to get me started). Basically they get low foot traffic but most of their business is through online advertising. They are in the midst of moving to a bigger lot apparently which I suppose is a good sign. I am considering walking in tomorrow with a couple forms they need to sign to get my license and just saying "gently caress it, I need the experience" and working everyday for the next month to see what it's like.

There are a few other new car dealerships that have openings but I've heard that selling new cars wouldn't pay as much due to the smaller profits. One of the local places also has some kind of training requirement that all new hires have to go through apparently. Is this normal and should I apply for it?

I'm on sort of a semi vacation but already bored after the few weeks I've been here so I basically want to work non-stop for a few months. I had some more questions but I can't remember what they were.

Oh maybe some advice on how to sell. I've read some articles, some AMA's on "that site" and a blog or two that make it look easy. I'm headed to the book store tomorrow as well.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Lando2 posted:

Oh maybe some advice on how to sell. I've read some articles, some AMA's on "that site" and a blog or two that make it look easy. I'm headed to the book store tomorrow as well.

No way.
In every retail sales environment, you have one or two dudes that are just total killers, topping the board every month and earning more in their commission than their manager takes home in salary. Then you have people who do alright. Then people who are one slow month away from missing their draw and getting fired, and the rotating cast of "new guys".

A retail sales job is a lot of things, but simultaneously "easy and lucrative" is not one of them.

lazercunt
Oct 26, 2007

canyoneer posted:

No way.
In every retail sales environment, you have one or two dudes that are just total killers, topping the board every month and earning more in their commission than their manager takes home in salary. Then you have people who do alright. Then people who are one slow month away from missing their draw and getting fired, and the rotating cast of "new guys".

A retail sales job is a lot of things, but simultaneously "easy and lucrative" is not one of them.

I love getting headhunters on LinkedIn saying things like "average salesperson makes 250k" and whatever else, but never saying how many people last past the first six months, year, etc. If people suck in commission-based sales, they quit, since they aren't making money and still probably have to put food on the table.

There's no easy job that makes you lots of money. If it was easy, everyone would do it and you wouldn't get paid as much. Good salespeople make it look easy because they are good at it, and it sounds easy to everyone else because it's been boiled down to so many different 4-5 step systems (I prefer DARFing it) that people forget that it can actually be really hard.

I work in an industry where the average client spends more on my product than anything else they carry, and it's hard to get people to pay attention to me all the time. I can't imagine how hard it is to do cold/warm calling and chasing leads all day, but that must be tough. It can also be hard emotionally. People in this thread have already noted that sales has the tendency to be soul-sucking, and it's hard to have people deny you every day, hour after hour, even if you do live for that one sale.

Sales is hard. It isn't learned in a book or in an AMA. It's learned by work experience with professionals/mentors/managers/etc. providing feedback, and figuring out what works. Books are great. Try a method, adapt a method, create what works for you, and build your personal sales story.

Philosopher King
Oct 25, 2006
I've worked in retail banking sales for about 4 years now and I've been through all the ups and mostly downs bullshit of it. How does one transition into a real sales job that doesn't blow rear end?

canyoneer posted:

No way.

Don't forget the part where no matter what you do, your location is the primary determination of how well you'll do.

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
A lot of people complain about cold calling, even I do at times, but it isn't that bad once you get use to rejection. The big thing for people is that your success, failure, growth, and responsibility is on you, no one else. If you work in operations, logistics, management, etc, you can blame anyone and everything on your failures. In Sales, its your fault and rightly so.

Did you grind out phones this week? Have you learned what not to say? Have you grown balls and asked for the money? How persistent with follows up are you? Are you prepared for the eventually of taking calls outside of work hours? This poo poo, you have to own because it comes with the role. If you want an easy salary where you punch in and punch out, do not do sales.

The best sales jobs are the ones where you make money without having to do data entry, legal crap, and point of contact for clients. Where you are just bringing money doing what you do, selling.

A great salesman's blog I been following is Steli Efti, the CEO of Close.io.
http://blog.close.io/

Julio Cesar Fatass
Jul 24, 2007

"...."
I'm a new financial advisor. It's hell getting new clients; 100% cold calling scrubbed lists. Love the autonomy, love the industry, but cold calling literally had me suicidal inside a month. I've spent four months spinning my wheels trying to make it not cold calling but that's clearly not going to cut it.

Aside from brain drugs, which I'm on now, what strategies for dealing with cold calling are there?

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Just do it. It is a high-throughput, low-yield process. There is no magic trick to it, it is just raw grinding. There are a lot of things you can do to improve your cold calling techniques but the actual experience of it is constant. If you can, mix site visits with phone and e-mail campaigns. That way when you are starting to get burned out on one, you can switch to the other.

lazercunt
Oct 26, 2007

Philosopher King posted:

I've worked in retail banking sales for about 4 years now and I've been through all the ups and mostly downs bullshit of it. How does one transition into a real sales job that doesn't blow rear end?

Check your LinkedIn messages, usually there's one or two headhunters trying to get a hold of you in there. Use your network, have informational interviews to get your foot in the door, all that good stuff they teach in the college how-to-get-a-job business school course.

Also if you don't want to cold call but still want to sell your soul to the devil, there's always TSM positions available around the nation with AGDC.

yospos cru: Wit_sponge, relative_q, roguestar, Model M, Sir_Donkeypunch, tom collins, three, rufo, camh, homeless snail, sex offendin link, pik_d, graph, scaevolus, schultzi, mrbucket, the evan
what it do
DEAD KEN POST REPLACER

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
Anyone here work in liquor sales or in tech sales geared specifically to bars/restaurants? I have a good sales personality and am tech-savvy, have good connections in the Bay Area and have worked here in the service industry for 14 years... 7 as a bartender. I've won bartending awards and competitions and have quite a few professional certifications, but I'm approaching 30 and want to really start building my best egg without working til 4am four nights a week. Seems like my options are either brand ambassador (I think my mouth and personality are a bit too big for this) or sales, I'm majorly leaning towards sales. Someone with insight in this area would be great. Bookmarked the thread too, some great suggestions for reading and research here.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
I worked selling beer for a distributor in Brooklyn for a minute. It's a good, solid gig. Sounds like you have connections (I didn't). It was basically an easy job, though the amount of random fights you'll get into with Irish bar managers is surprisingly high. They are basically OK people and if you stand your ground, they'll like you a hell of a lot more than if you don't. Don't be worried about yelling back. Living in Oakland now, I imagine the Bay is a chiller scene than NYC.

Find the nearest distributors offices and just walk in. Again, you've got connections, talk with the salespeople that go to your bar. I got into sales because I asked a salesman with whom I regularly interacted how to get into sales. He hooked me up. Didn't get me a job but got me into a position where I could get a job.

It's like the Masons: to be one, ask one.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Oh hey, a sales thread. I've been selling IT services for the past 6 years, though I'm about to be looking for a new role. Specifically, what I sell revolves around data management - sometimes straight DBA work, but more frequently it will be data warehousing or ETL stuff.

It's a job like any other, just requires a certain type of personality to be successful. As for methods, check out Neil Rackham's SPIN selling. When you start talking about hundreds of thousands of dollars, or millions, it helps to have a more structured approach.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003

Shooting Blanks posted:

Oh hey, a sales thread. I've been selling IT services for the past 6 years, though I'm about to be looking for a new role. Specifically, what I sell revolves around data management - sometimes straight DBA work, but more frequently it will be data warehousing or ETL stuff.

It's a job like any other, just requires a certain type of personality to be successful. As for methods, check out Neil Rackham's SPIN selling. When you start talking about hundreds of thousands of dollars, or millions, it helps to have a more structured approach.

Thanks for the recommendation of SPIN selling, this book has been pretty much been exactly what I was looking for. While some of the situations/interviews seem a bit contrived I think the overall message is spot on and I plan on trying to internalize this process.

bug chaser chaser
Dec 11, 2006

For a resume in a business development role, would you take client retention into account or just leads converted into clients? I'm in a position where I might get prospects to put money forward for a trial period but then many won't commit after that, so how do I put this in a resume and have it be positive?

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

this little bastard posted:

For a resume in a business development role, would you take client retention into account or just leads converted into clients? I'm in a position where I might get prospects to put money forward for a trial period but then many won't commit after that, so how do I put this in a resume and have it be positive?

Growth Hacking Expert.

Client retention shouldn't be important to NBD because you are focused on new clients, not maintaining a relationship with an existing ones.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
I was hired out of college into a sales position by a company that does enterprise software and Managed print services. I started selling copiers up and down the street as well as acting as account manager/exec. I was ok at it, but I moved into doing bids/rfps for local, state and federal entities as well as large corporations. I personally have one of the largest school districts in the nation, some colleges and we've been very successful in the education vertical market.

I hated the phones, preferred to cold call, but still didnt like trying to sell people a single copier. Now I sit at a desk and read/fill itbs and rfps all day. Im responsible for project management and implementation when we win, but work closely with our it dudes when it involves software.

Its p nice

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003

Waroduce posted:

I was hired out of college into a sales position by a company that does enterprise software and Managed print services. I started selling copiers up and down the street as well as acting as account manager/exec. I was ok at it, but I moved into doing bids/rfps for local, state and federal entities as well as large corporations. I personally have one of the largest school districts in the nation, some colleges and we've been very successful in the education vertical market.

I hated the phones, preferred to cold call, but still didnt like trying to sell people a single copier. Now I sit at a desk and read/fill itbs and rfps all day. Im responsible for project management and implementation when we win, but work closely with our it dudes when it involves software.

Its p nice

Man I wish my company had someone in this type of position. RFPs are the devil... especially government ones. Literally hundreds of questions and then they want the 7 copies of the RFP printed and bound, six in some archaic electronic format, and two chickens slaughtered at the crest of the full moon.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

Lyon posted:

Man I wish my company had someone in this type of position. RFPs are the devil... especially government ones. Literally hundreds of questions and then they want the 7 copies of the RFP printed and bound, six in some archaic electronic format, and two chickens slaughtered at the crest of the full moon.

One I'm working on now requires 1 original, 1 copy on USB and SIXTEEN copies, of a several hundred page proposal .

I enjoy dropping them off or mailing them in comically large cardboard boxes when people require poo poo like that

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
Working on an rfp, looking through a list of equipment and sites for a college

offical college gun range? A good idea

none of you dox me

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Waroduce posted:

Working on an rfp, looking through a list of equipment and sites for a college

offical college gun range? A good idea

none of you dox me

Lots of them have it. Many times it's run by the ROTC program, and they use pellet guns due to city ordinances or whatever.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

canyoneer posted:

Lots of them have it. Many times it's run by the ROTC program, and they use pellet guns due to city ordinances or whatever.

No poo poo? I have colleges and have never seen it before. I guess rotc isnt big around here. Idk. Makes sense though

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

Waroduce posted:

No poo poo? I have colleges and have never seen it before. I guess rotc isnt big around here. Idk. Makes sense though

Campus police departments will use them too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

invision
Mar 2, 2009

I DIDN'T GET ENOUGH RAPE LAST TIME, MAY I HAVE SOME MORE?
http://www.thisamericanlife.org/radio-archives/episode/513/129-cars

Pretty good.

• Locked thread