Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

I usually delete repeats of TAL, but this one was so good I had to listen to it again.

I will never buy a car from a dealership.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Yeah, I'd always go to the college gun range to pick up ROTC chicks. It was a good thing.

mim
Apr 25, 2010

Thomamelas posted:

Campus police departments will use them too.

Rifle and Pistol are NCAA sports as well. With competitions and championships and everything.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate
Plus campuses are generally pretty large so they can make some money renting them out to private functions.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Working in freight brokering for a year now, I guess I should stop by this thread. Currently reading SPIN as has been mentioned a few times, actually has given me motivation to finish it sooner.

~more to come later~

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
Sales sales sales

Got short-listed on a bid, presentation in the middle of nowhere, small, hick rear end town with alotta churches and wallmart and jesus billboards

Do not want

Why is your hq here, wtf.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

I need you guys to give me some input here.

I'm currently working a fairly "secure" job at a major company (think national champion). Whenever I tell anyone about my job title and the company I work for I get serious respect for it and most people assume I'm a baller who makes tons of money.

The reality is my salary is sub par and I'm just barely making ends meet. Furthermore while my boss is extremely nice and will go up to bat for me if other departments antagonize me he also is holding me back. Our company is kinda cash strapped too and loaded up with mostly old men who are just waiting for their retirement severance package. Overall the environment is "safe" but it has no room for growth or ambition for a young person like me.

So I started trying to figure out where I wanted to go and the idea of becoming a sales person dawned on me.

Long story short I met a person while I was doing a sidejob to supplement my income. He immediately referred me to an inside sales role inside a very famous San Fransisco based software services company. It's loaded with young people, they get promoted fairly quickly (within a year) and it supposedly is an environment where I'll be given all the help and training I need to succeed.

Needless to say right from the screening phonecall up to the scheduling of the interview I have felt like these people have been aggressively trying to "sell" ME on switching to this job rather than me trying to sell them to accept me for it. This made me feel very apprehensive. They're trying way too hard to tell me how awesome the job is, how I can make up to 15k + in commissions and how everyone around me is helpful. The recruiter who put me into the interview process even phoned me to tell me how the interview is gonna go down. Then the guy who referred me also called me to give me some pointers.

I told him flat out that I'm taking a huge risk here. I'm giving up a stable job for a highly risky venture. I asked a lot of questions pointing out my skepticism about what really happens when I take this job. Needless to say he told me I'm extremely bright, that I clearly did my research and went above and beyond what a typical candidate would do before taking this job. He thinks that my inquisitive nature an eagerness to prove myself will ensure that not only will I nail the interview but also be a top performer with the company as well. I even mentioned how the recruiter used sales tactics like "this is a really competitive job, there are people with sales experience who are also being considered besides yourself." The moment I got my interview confirmation set I immediately knew he was full of poo poo. He only said that to make me feel like this job was in high demand. From my perspective he came across as desperate.

Anyway I really want to try my hand at sales because I find I'm outgoing, hungry for money and because if I perform well my career opportunities are limitless especially at a company like this one where good performers receive fast promotions. I also think if you perform well the numbers don't lie and nobody can really use politics or bullshit to get you fired.

That said I'm worried that how good of a sales person I am is entirely determined not by myself but the markets and the product I sell. I'm also worried that I, don't have what it takes since I've never done it before. I find it suspicious how hard they are trying to woo me to take this job.

Based on what you guys know about sales, should I believe the promises they're making me? Would I totally hate my life if I gave up my cushy (but poorly paid) job for the potential of promotions and huge commission earnings?

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

They may be trying to get more sales people because they are growing at a fast pace (this would describe my company) which could be why they seem to be pursuing you.

My job, which is essentially sales (freight broker), has been my first sales job and I'm picking up some positive vibes from your post regarding your attitude so while I can offer nothing about your specific choices I think you should definitely consider it.

Main thing to keep in mind, make sure you understand the pay structure and commission before you start.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011

Totally TWISTED posted:

They may be trying to get more sales people because they are growing at a fast pace (this would describe my company) which could be why they seem to be pursuing you.

My job, which is essentially sales (freight broker), has been my first sales job and I'm picking up some positive vibes from your post regarding your attitude so while I can offer nothing about your specific choices I think you should definitely consider it.

Main thing to keep in mind, make sure you understand the pay structure and commission before you start.

50k base salary + 16k in possible commissions. The base is already 5k more than what I make now. I don't sell so much as I "qualify" interested parties who have come to the company. My objective essentially is to pass on high quality leads to another representative who actually closes the deal. The theory and concept of it all gives me serious energy. I like this entire notion that every time I pick up that phone I am talking to a new opportunity. I like that I have the responsibility and authority that I can refer "hot" clients to the account exec and get serious recognition for it if he closes the deal. Everyone is young, aggressive and ambitious there. At my company it's just white picket fences and home improvement projects while the paycheque rolls in and I stare at a monitor and hear about another airline deal getting closed by OUR sales staff who I support. It sucks. I want to make a difference. I want to bring in revenue for a company. As long as I bring in business no one can touch me, I'll be invincible. I just need to know HOW and I need to have the confidence that I can do it or else I'll be on the street with car payments and rent to pay and no job to show for it.

Kraftwerk fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Jan 12, 2015

Shadowgate
May 6, 2007

Soiled Meat
Man I would take that job if I were you. This is exactly how you get started out in sales, taking a job that might be risky and tough, but getting that experience to jump ship later on for something better.

It sounds like the money is better than what you make now, your attitude is good, and the company has significant growth.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003

Kraftwerk posted:

50k base salary + 16k in possible commissions. The base is already 5k more than what I make now. I don't sell so much as I "qualify" interested parties who have come to the company. My objective essentially is to pass on high quality leads to another representative who actually closes the deal. The theory and concept of it all gives me serious energy. I like this entire notion that every time I pick up that phone I am talking to a new opportunity. I like that I have the responsibility and authority that I can refer "hot" clients to the account exec and get serious recognition for it if he closes the deal. Everyone is young, aggressive and ambitious there. At my company it's just white picket fences and home improvement projects while the paycheque rolls in and I stare at a monitor and hear about another airline deal getting closed by OUR sales staff who I support. It sucks. I want to make a difference. I want to bring in revenue for a company. As long as I bring in business no one can touch me, I'll be invincible. I just need to know HOW and I need to have the confidence that I can do it or else I'll be on the street with car payments and rent to pay and no job to show for it.

It sounds like your typical cold calling entry level sales gig which is how I got started in sales (and I'm sure many others). Basically expect to be on the phone every single day and to be making about 100-200 calls (depending on your company/boss/types of leads/etc). Your job is to schedule appointments for the actual inside and/or outside sales representatives who will then continue the sales process. I worked a gig like this for 1.5 years (although the last half year was as a team leader so my responsibilities changed a bit) before I found a sales job where I actually got to work the leads and close deals myself. The job is a great stepping stone into a sales career but be aware that that this type of work can become very draining and all that enthusiasm they're showing now can become toxic/poisonous. Google the lawsuits that are currently being filed against Zillow by some of their former inside sales staff for an idea of what a toxic environment can look like (sexism, ageism, etc). That being said I really enjoyed the job while I was there, it provided me the ability to progress my career, and I made a lot of life long friends.

As for day to to day expectations... we were expected to make 150-200 calls a day and set a minimum of two appointments per day (averaging 10/week). We were provided with leads but you very quickly learned to be in the top of the group you had to dig up your own leads on LinkedIn or sites like Jigsaw (Data.com now I think). We were paid $32,000 (lower CoL than the bay area by a wide margin so probably about the same after adjusting) and made $30/appointment with a manager or below, $40/appointment with a director, and $50/appointment with a VP or C level executive. We also got paid a % of any deal that closed based on an appointments that we set. There was a board that showed everyone's current number of appointments set that week, appointments set for the month, year, and each person's completion % (number of appointments kept divided by number of appointments set) so it can be pretty competitive within the group.

I did pretty well and probably averaged around $800/mo in commission and it is definitely a skill that you will need for any future sales job. It really depends on your personality and whether or not the constant rejection will bother you. I say go for it.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate
This might be a weird question but how hard is it is cold-call a buyer like me (or just show up at my office door like most do?).

Lyon posted:

As for day to to day expectations... we were expected to make 150-200 calls a day and set a minimum of two appointments per day (averaging 10/week). We were provided with leads but you very quickly learned to be in the top of the group you had to dig up your own leads on LinkedIn or sites like Jigsaw (Data.com now I think). We were paid $32,000 (lower CoL than the bay area by a wide margin so probably about the same after adjusting) and made $30/appointment with a manager or below, $40/appointment with a director, and $50/appointment with a VP or C level executive. We also got paid a % of any deal that closed based on an appointments that we set. There was a board that showed everyone's current number of appointments set that week, appointments set for the month, year, and each person's completion % (number of appointments kept divided by number of appointments set) so it can be pretty competitive within the group.

How would your bonus work on a level where a director/VP/C level has no buying authority like in mine? Would you get the 50 dollars for meeting with me?

Also how much would any of you kill to get a sweet government contract?

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011

I definitely got the impression they are a frat culture. My referrer plays competitive sports with one of the managers. They all know each other. After hours they all party together and stuff. They've spoken about me privately before the interview even took place.

I dislike how theyre sweet talking me and feeding my ego about this job. I find that really suspicious. This guy brings serious volume in terms of referrals and likely stands to make money off me.

My family friends and trustworthy coworkers are all telling me not to take this job.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003

sbaldrick posted:

This might be a weird question but how hard is it is cold-call a buyer like me (or just show up at my office door like most do?).

How would your bonus work on a level where a director/VP/C level has no buying authority like in mine? Would you get the 50 dollars for meeting with me?

Also how much would any of you kill to get a sweet government contract?

Cold calling is easy, honestly just getting started is the hardest part. Once you've made one phone call and get into a groove it isn't a big deal. As to how hard it is to convince someone to take a meeting well that totally depends on the person, the day, what you're trying to sell, etc. Leads who have visited your website or your booth at a trade show and expressed interest are the easiest and completely unannounced calls are the hardest. At the end of the day the biggest thing is finding the right person to talk to. You won't take a meeting about laptop/mobile device security if you're the network engineer working in the NOC. Hopefully though that guy refers me to the right guy along with some other relevant information from the conversation and now that next conversation is with the right guy and with some info so I sound legit.

So long as the person's title checked out you would get paid $50 for a VP/C level even if they had no authority or interest to purchase. They can't penalize you for that, we have like 30 seconds on the phone to convince these people to take a meeting so you got paid as long as the title checked out.

Government contracts are highly sought after. I sell laboratory software now and it is drat hard to win those deals (the RFPs alone are asinine let alone all the presentations and other red tape you have to get through) but once you're in you can build a whole business on government contracts.

Kraftwerk posted:

I definitely got the impression they are a frat culture. My referrer plays competitive sports with one of the managers. They all know each other. After hours they all party together and stuff. They've spoken about me privately before the interview even took place.

I dislike how theyre sweet talking me and feeding my ego about this job. I find that really suspicious. This guy brings serious volume in terms of referrals and likely stands to make money off me.

My family friends and trustworthy coworkers are all telling me not to take this job.

My first sales job had a frat culture and it had its good points and bad points, more positive than negative though. Inside sales (and sales in general) always has some degree of churn and burn as part of the job. Some people don't like sales or they can't hack it so people are frequently moving in and out (often times people use it as an doorway into a different job within the company too if they don't enjoy sales but are otherwise a good employee). People tend to look down on sales because it has a bad reputation (car salesmen, door to door, telemarketers) but without sales a business can't survive, someone has to be selling the product to generate revenue. B2B sales can be highly lucrative and rewarding.

Go interview, talk to the people you'll be working with, and ideally they'll let you sit with someone actually working so you can see what they day-to-day is like.

Shadowgate
May 6, 2007

Soiled Meat
What is your potential for advancement in your current role? How does that compare to a career in sales?

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011

My potential for advancement in my current role depends on two factors.

1) How well I network internally to get to higher better paid positions in other departments

2) Somehow navigating through the asinine performance review process to incremental salary increases where it takes me 15 years to hit maybe 70-80k. The aircraft program I'm on won't last that long so I'll either be laid off or transferred internally.

As long as the program is selling and active I will be employed. I just won't advance very quickly or make much money.

The sales position I'm being considered for will feature management as well as staff interviews. I have never worked a sales job in my life. It's all theory. I don't know if I'm suited for it which is why I consider it risky.

I've studied the linked in profiles of my managers most of them did the job for a year and were rapidly promoted through the ranks. If I give up my job for a failed venture in sales I'll be busted down to 35k a year doing bitchwork for double the hours.

Hours is another thing. I make a solid 45k per year low stress, zero politics environment. I go home every day at 4:30, I get three weeks vacation and a solid benefits and retirement package. I'm guaranteed to be working more at the new position.

EDIT: I'm gonna be vague here but the company I'm talking to has a blue cloud on their logo and their initials are SF. Don't want this showing up in a google search as I've already given away enough that they could probably identify me.

Kraftwerk fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Jan 12, 2015

Gravitee
Nov 20, 2003

I just put money in the Magic Fingers!

"Kraftwerk" posted:

EDIT: I'm gonna be vague here but the company I'm talking to has a blue cloud on their logo and their initials are SF. Don't want this showing up in a google search as I've already given away enough that they could probably identify me.

As an inside sales person, I use that blue cloud every day! Good luck!

Shadowgate
May 6, 2007

Soiled Meat
Yeah dude, go work there. It's going to be a good experience and you'll be making six figures in a few years if you want.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011

So far you guys have told me how great it is, but you're all successful proven sales people. I have no sales experience. If I was unemployed and had nothing to lose this decision would be a no brainer. But taking this job, means losing my old one and putting myself in their hands. I find the risk extremely frightening.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Kraftwerk posted:

So far you guys have told me how great it is, but you're all successful proven sales people. I have no sales experience. If I was unemployed and had nothing to lose this decision would be a no brainer. But taking this job, means losing my old one and putting myself in their hands. I find the risk extremely frightening.

I left my no sale experience and no formal business "white collar" experience job and now make 50% more a year than I did 13 months ago.

I don't deny that I was worried and that the transition wasn't extremely hard.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003

Kraftwerk posted:

SF definitely seems like a great company to start at. They have great brand recognition, pretty much every sales team that uses a CRM uses SF at this point. When you call up sales managers/directors/vps they will most likely take your call or at least listen to you when you get them on the line. Working for SF has got to be almost like having a all 'warm' leads (or at least lukewarm leads) which would be a very nice change of pace compared to several of the gigs I've worked. I imagine working at SF would let you ease into a sales career pretty well. Not to say that it will be easy by any means but you could work for far far worse companies.

Shadowgate
May 6, 2007

Soiled Meat

Kraftwerk posted:

This is how pretty much all of us got started. Starting out at a big well known company is probably the best way to dive into it. Like Lyon mentioned, everyone knows SF and that makes your life exponentially easier. There is nothing worse than cold calling for some unknown company or product.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011

I've had enough of sitting here in my hidey hole. If I get an offer I'm taking it. The consequences be damned. I have three years banked on my resume with this company. I think enough is enough. I'm sure I can get a new job if I lose this one. At least I'll know for sure if sales is for me.

All I feel right now is adrenaline at the thought of closing deals. I got so pumped up I tried to convince my friend to get me access to his company's VP so I can convince them to upgrade their legacy CRM tool.

Shadowgate
May 6, 2007

Soiled Meat

Kraftwerk posted:

I've had enough of sitting here in my hidey hole. If I get an offer I'm taking it. The consequences be damned. I have three years banked on my resume with this company. I think enough is enough. I'm sure I can get a new job if I lose this one. At least I'll know for sure if sales is for me.

All I feel right now is adrenaline at the thought of closing deals. I got so pumped up I tried to convince my friend to get me access to his company's VP so I can convince them to upgrade their legacy CRM tool.

Sweet man, I think it's a great move. Let us know how it turns out.

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Good luck man, but keep in mind you will want to jump to another company out here. That pay is sub par even for entry level. However, if you only care about promotions i would suggest not doing sales. If you turn out as a steller salesman, you will make more money selling as opposed to managing.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011

I live in Canada so I imagine the low pay has something to do with that.

ConspicuousEvil
Feb 29, 2004
Pillbug
Does anyone have any experience doing sales at UPS? I have a phone interview with them tomorrow and would love some insider perspective. I've never done sales before (former teacher), so I'm not entirely sure I'll like it, but with a company that large, I imagine there's upside in terms of mobility.

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

ConspicuousEvil posted:

Does anyone have any experience doing sales at UPS? I have a phone interview with them tomorrow and would love some insider perspective. I've never done sales before (former teacher), so I'm not entirely sure I'll like it, but with a company that large, I imagine there's upside in terms of mobility.

I had a nice middle age lady work with me recently that did UPS sales for a decade. She said she liked it but it was boring at times. When she did it there was a lot traveling because she was in a rural area, also this was in the 90s. Bet things have changed and its probably decent.

With that said, never go into sales with the mind set of getting promoted. You will fail at sales or you will fail at being promoted. Very few salesman want to gef promoted out of commissions.

lazercunt
Oct 26, 2007

It was a narcotics raid, not a Fritos raid.

Level 3 storm warnings here in the midwest, so I haven't been out today making sales calls. Been working on a bunch of data analysis work to better understand my business. 7 hours into the process, it's amazing what I haven't noticed or figured out in my previous 8 months with these clients (I do only continuing business development).

Friendly reminder that the more you know about your clients and prospects, the better off you are!

yospos cru: Wit_sponge, relative_q, roguestar, Model M, Sir_Donkeypunch, tom collins, three, rufo, camh, homeless snail, sex offendin link, pik_d, graph, scaevolus, schultzi, mrbucket, the evan
what it do
DEAD KEN POST REPLACER

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005
Does anyone have advice about working in recruitment? I'm particular interested in honest ways to go about name collecting.

Also I looked for the SPIN selling book but it's not on kindle. Any good books about working in sales on Kindle?

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
Selling to VITO was required during my training, I remeber it being ok, but SPIN selling is super awesome. I highly recommend you get your hands on it somehow.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
Going to a regional Law tradeshow/convention where vendors are "encouraged" to dress as their favorite superhero. Id normally bail, but one of our clients invited us and they are a top 10 law firm in the state

Still wtf

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Waroduce posted:

Going to a regional Law tradeshow/convention where vendors are "encouraged" to dress as their favorite superhero. Id normally bail, but one of our clients invited us and they are a top 10 law firm in the state

Still wtf

Dress as Harvey Birdman Attorney at Law, I bet your client will love that.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Kraftwerk posted:

That's the attitude you need. Sales is risky. Your base pay should take care of your rent and ramen. Commission is what you actually live on and your commission will be somewhat variable. But the drive to create the life you want is what really matters and what is so exciting.

lazercunt
Oct 26, 2007

Leaving the CPG world in June for an consulting/research sales position! Same base salary, but a commission! I work in tobacco now, where there is literally no commission. Money is good here, but I'd like to have earnings potential and motivation to do my job. And get the gently caress out of northwest ohio.

e: to clarify, if I hit expected quota, I'll be essentially making a 19k raise. If I sold 0, I'd break even. I don't plan on selling 0.

yospos cru: Wit_sponge, relative_q, roguestar, Model M, Sir_Donkeypunch, tom collins, three, rufo, camh, homeless snail, sex offendin link, pik_d, graph, scaevolus, schultzi, mrbucket, the evan
what it do
DEAD KEN POST REPLACER

lazercunt fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Mar 11, 2015

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
Hows tobacco? I have no soul and would not mind selling or negotiating for big tobacco/oil/pharma

Stripper attitude, only money makes me move

E: my girl is actually in the phd program for a top 5 chemistry program and has professor that place students into their own businesses, several of them work pharmaceuticals and when they found out I was in sales and successful at social events asked if id be interested in a position. I dont know dick about pharma though. Is anyone in it here?

Waroduce fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Mar 12, 2015

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011

Waroduce posted:

Hows tobacco? I have no soul and would not mind selling or negotiating for big tobacco/oil/pharma

E: my girl is actually in the phd program for a top 5 chemistry program and has professor that place students into their own businesses, several of them work pharmaceuticals and when they found out I was in sales and successful at social events asked if id be interested in a position. I dont know dick about pharma though. Is anyone in it here?

If you can teach yourself some of the high level basics behind pharmaceuticals I highly recommend you become a pharm rep. The perks are ridiculous. Your main job is to go around meeting various family doctors (General Practitioners) and getting them to prescribe your drugs. Often your company gives you a blank cheque to wine and dine them and do whatever it takes to sign them on. Some doctors will gently caress with you and enjoy the perks without committing but many more will do it. There is so much money to be had.

lazercunt
Oct 26, 2007

Waroduce posted:

This is sales, you don't need to know poo poo about anything. Tobacco is fun, if you want an easy sales job. You could get by reasonably well on 6 hours a day. If you don't work for a big 3 firm (soon to be big 2) life probably sucks though because no one gives a poo poo about your discount brand of whatever.

Tobacco sales, especially at retail, is execution-based rather than sales-based. You aren't just selling and forgetting, you execute your platform and promotions and do it all, including your merchandising.

what it do
DEAD KEN POST REPLACER

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Girl I worked with interned with Altria for a summer. Drove a zillion miles to climb up light poles in convenience store lots to change out signs, get in shouting matches with franchise store owners because they didn't display the promotional sign prominently enough and don't qualify for the rebate, blah blah blah.

Didn't get the impression that she enjoyed it, but an intern's experience might be different from what a regular employee does.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rjderouin
May 21, 2007
I work trade shows and consumer shows for the video game / board game industry as a sales person / booth manager/ jack of all trades. Curious to hear from anyone working that same type of work in different industries or especially in the same industry? What is your work load like, how many conventions do you do a year? Does anyone actually pay Freeman 1500 to move two pallets 100 feet? I do about 15 - 25 conventions yearly, on the road maybe 100 days of the year, is this normal for your industry? More? Less? Just asking because I have been applying for jobs outside of my industry but I have no idea what the companies expectations will be. How are sales at your booth, what do you expect from a show? Whats your favorite show? For me I love the PAX shows, or Penny Arcade Expo, well done, good crowd, good vibe and generally pleasant booth neighbors.

• Locked thread