Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KaiserKarl
Dec 31, 2006

SquirrelGrip posted:

im interviewing sales reps today. give me questions to throw at them

What question are you trying to answer? Paramount to me when hiring is; how is this person going to quickly and consistently hit and hopefully exceed plan?

One of the most insightful questions that I've been able to pose is; "what will you do in your first 90 days to be successful here?"

Don't think it's one you have to spring on them either. Giving candidates time to asses, plan, and refine shows me how much ingenuity, integrity, clarity, sophistication and urgency they can bring to bear with a customer given the opportunity. The elements in their response have provided great opportunities for follow questions that easily further qualify their expertise, skills, and drive.

KaiserKarl fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Oct 24, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KaiserKarl
Dec 31, 2006

Beefeater1980 posted:

I started doing solutions sales last year after being a lawyer for years. Closed a few small deals but was way behind target as we're opening a new market.

Just closed my first really big deal ($1m+), largest in our region for this year.

Feeling pretty amazing. Partly it's the deal and partly the vindication / relief of knowing for certain that I can close.

Congrats! Software or Services? The seven figure line is a great feeling. A couple more like that and you'll be making NYC Sr. Associate money with half the headache...

KaiserKarl
Dec 31, 2006

oliveoil posted:

Hi, folks! What's the most impressive thing you've seen or done that helped you get a great job in sales in a major city like NYC or San Francisco? My brother is wondering what to emphasize on his resume when he basically has nothing to show.

1. Use the right buzz words (i.e. "developed relationships with a diverse set of customers", "partnered with internal cross functional groups...", "salesforce exper ") Simple word choice helps highlight that someone who can build rapport with any personality, understands the value of collaboration, and holds themselves accountable with the right levels of activity.
2. KPI driven (how does activity breed results for your brother? does he understand the level of activity required to build a sales career with little track record? is he disciplined enough to understand and articulate a formula for success?)
3. Be moldable (emphasize a desire to learn and develop, show what's been done to make that happen. i.e. attend conferences on own time/dime, books, ted talks, whatever. If I'm hiring a fresh-faced rep I want to know that they're fully committed so that my investment is worthwhile).
4. Why is your brother going to be more successful than another hire in the role? More of a cover letter thing maybe, but if a candidate can clearly and concisely tell me why they want to work here and how they're going to be successful then I know they at least have the drive, creativity, and intelligence to make it. If I'm between candidates I ask for a 90 day plan presentation at second/third interview. If someone took the time to do this upfront and put care and thought in to it they would be a clear cut finalist.

• Locked thread