Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Amazing Member
Apr 4, 2008
Door-to-door sales guy chiming in here,

Honestly, for all the poo poo people give us about us 'trying to sell them' you'd think we had a gun pointed at their wallets.
It is fair to say though, there are definitely those out there that give sales reps a bad name either through dishonesty or some sort of jackassery.

A little background.

I've done a lot of different forms of sales, selling high end home theaters out of the back of a van (legally!), to door to door on the beat knocking on peoples houses and sometimes getting free and not poisoned dinners from a sale. To good ol' fashioned over the phone 'qualified leads" where you fight with a client who had signed up and should have expected your call. (Yes, you um...signed up for some information about home insurance....well I'm the guy that has the home insurance...go what myself?!)

I'm now working as a freelance accounts representative for a coffee company that will be opening shortly, so I can add business-to-business sales to my resume soon enough.

Through all of this I still love all the stories I've amassed over the years, from the sickly, grotesque, over weight elderly man who opened his door wearing nothing but his whitey-tighties with what looked like mayonnaise splayed all over his chest where a scar from his recent heart surgery lay puckered with greasy condiment on it. To the awesome sale where I was able to make a sale and convince the applicant to take me to his parents house since he knew his parents wanted the same product for themselves. I ended up getting dinner, and a prototype demonstration of some hi-tech stuff his old man worked on!

I love it all.

If there's any bit of advice I can confer with anyone please let me know, but one thing that sticks out above all else that some folks never seem to grasp; Think about what the customer/business/client wants. Not what you want. Being sincerely interested in the plight of your client makes things incredibly smoother for both of you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread