Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

"Amala, I've got a chainsaw on my arm. I'll be fine."
There are a lot of experienced folks in this thread, I'm at a crossroads in my life and would like to leverage your wisdom.

Below are a few details about me.

Currently I'm an Account Manager at a SAAS company that caters to the Telecom vertical. I have five years of experience total as an Account Manager, a degree in Political Science, and I'm also very charismatic. I am located in the greater Los Angeles Area. My goals are simply to be happy, and earn enough to support my family. I really enjoy learning new technologies inside and out. That passion allowed me to learn my employers incredibly complex software in 3 months. I recently on-boarded a giant in the Telecom field with nearly no support. When I talked to my employers regarding a Sales Position I was told my technical insight with the software was currently too valuable and in demand to have me go elsewhere. The problem with that is there no professional development for me in being the guy that understands a complex software nobody else is willing to learn. I'm still only earning a pittance which is why I'm actively looking elsewhere.

I'm currently only getting offers from Recruiters that are interesting in hiring me for a Sales Role. All our discussions they've always been centered around ROI. I've turned down a few offers due to the compensation not meeting my needs. What companies and what roles should I be applying for? Should I bite the bullet, and go into sales? I know I wouldn't enjoy a position that required I drive around the city all day. Working in a software company I've also picked up programming but i'm nowhere near the level required to obtain a job in that field.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

sleep with the vicious posted:

What are your job duties as an account manager? All technical/project management for customers or is there contract, renewal, and revenue goals? If there are revenue goals in your role right now, how are you doing and do you like it? How big is your current company and did you speak to the VP sales or to your manager about moving over?

My job as an account manager is a mix of both, I have Project Management responsibilities and revenue goals. We don't have hard Quotas due to us working toward an uphill battle of fulfilling every promise that was made in the Sales Process. I typically upsell all my clients on a maintenance plan, last month I sold one with a value of $108,000.00 to an existing customer. I really enjoy the discovery process of finding out how the customers business works from there identifying potential sales has always been easy to me as long as our tool actually meets their needs.

Currently I'm also the only person that can sell most of the features we offer other than the President of the Company so I'm often called to present and sell customers on these features when other teams can't.

Our company is less than 50 employees, we occupy a big space in the Telecom World but we aren't mid sized yet. I spoke to my Manager who told me I wouldn't be a good fit for Sales, and that my talents were best served performing technical tasks and helping our clients. The President and the VP of Operations have both trained me in sales as well. The primary issue is that I won't earn more here without getting a counter offer from another employer. In looking for another opportunity I want to make sure it's going to be something with longevity.

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

I have an interview for an Account Executive role at an IPO in Santa Monica tomorrow. I'll definitely make sure to ask what the value proposition is. What are some other good questions to ask?

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

Thank you so much paramecium it really means a lot. I wasn't a good fit for the role but I pitched him on why I'm still a great candidate.

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

I have an interview with a SAAS company in Santa Monica for an SDR role. For the interview I need to prepare a slide with two customers I would prospect if working for them, and who I would contact at that those companies. Is this a legit interview? It seems they may be attempting to get some free consultation work. I obtained this interview through a SAAS Sales Recruiter I connected with on Linkedin.

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

Lyon posted:

It seems like a variation of a case study style interview. Hopefully they know their target audience (if they don't, run) and they are testing you to see if you can identify the right types of companies and the right types of contacts at those companies. At my company it would be pretty simple, we sell laboratory software so if I had been asked that I would be say something like, "I would target X, Y, and Z pharmaceutical companies and I would be looking to engage with their laboratory manager(s) and director(s)/VP(s) of quality."

Thank you sir, I have no idea what to expect and after doing some research I can only find information about their London Office but they are established so they definitely know their target audience. The Recruiter is making sure I even get an interview on the weekend which is nice. I'm cautiously nervous and optimistic, my favorite part of my current job is when I'm on the phone performing discovery on customers and addressing their needs with our products. I think this role is really going to be a good fit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

Shooting Blanks posted:

I can't tell if this post is a joke.

Not a joke, I was being genuine. If something about that post comes off as naive or insincere please let me know. Looking at your post history you've definitely been in sales longer than I have. I'd love to learn from your insight.

• Locked thread