Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Franchescanado posted:

I've been working in sales for about a year now. I have no formal training. Everything I've learned is from my co-workers and my bosses, who have years of experience (from 9 years to 30 years). I also don't have a college degree in anything business-related, in marketing, etc. (I was an English Lit. Major before I took time off school.)

My bosses say that I have natural talent, charisma, and I'm well educated on the "product", but I could do well to get some more formal training to improve upon my skill set. The problem is that every book on sales is promoting a self-serving agenda (they're selling a book on selling, and they all say their way is the best way). I assume online courses on sales are worse.

I know there has to be some must-read books or an online course that genuinely has good advice and can help me improve. My bosses are willing to pay for them, but I don't want to waste money on something that will be useless or just bad advice. Can anyone give me some good recommendations on books and/or online courses for sales, time management, and other skills that would be useful in my position (I mainly work on the phone, but I sometimes have to sit down with people, do a presentation, and try to sell to them in person).

Bonus points if the book/course has a decent sense of humor without being annoyingly goofy, ie "Sales for Dummies -- with cartoons!"

A lot of times the best sales reps are the ones with no previous experience (I work in wireless retail). They don't have bad habits, are optimistic and don't know what "isn't possible."

Personally, I have been doing extremely well for the last 5 years at different companies with sales, and I find it just comes down to focus, consistency and connecting to people. There isn't too much magic in my mind besides crafting how you sell day to day.

I've done outside sales and that's both different and not different, so I guess training depends.

My most important books:
"Art of War" by Sun Tzu. Seriously a must read.

"Linchpin" by Seth Godin. He's obviously a bit preachy, and there is nothing on actual sales execution, but in terms of outlook, attitude and how to approach your daily job, I highly recommend it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Suave Fedora posted:

I'm going to apply for a Sales Account Manager position at a wireless company opening a new branch where I live. I've been in IT support services since like 2000 and want to take the leap into a more traditional business department likes Sales & Marketing.

As a wireless admin, I've been on the receiving end of wireless for six years now as a telecom/wireless administrator and know pretty well what tactics I've liked and didn't like from the multitude of sales account managers that have serviced our corporate account over the years. I have the same industry knowledge that they do from working with them every day and have hit the progress ceiling where I work.

I enjoy meeting new people and am very good at finding things other people enjoy talking about. My only hangup is that I feel that I have to believe in the product I am selling, and while I feel that way about this company, I really won't know its products until I get my boots on the ground.

My long-term goal is to become more involved with CRM (customer relationship marketing) but in my current company that goal is not looking too good, so I figure that I'll should go for a new experience - which is very appealing to me - and hope they have a CRM system in place I can get some experience with and leverage that in the future.

This really resonates with me:

Which company are you applying to? If your long term goal is marketing of any sort, and it's a retail sales rep position you are applying to, that's a lot of jumps to get from one to the other. I do retail wireless sales and I love it overall, but my direct paths of promotions overall are management, business sales, things like that. Marketing is a hard one to jump to from what I can tell since they would just hire someone with a specific degree or experience.

Unless you are younger and just starting out, I would def only recommend wireless sales working for corporate and not a franchise. Someone who is 21 might need to work indirect first to get experience, but the pay, benefits and opportunities are just so much better at corporate vs non corporate.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Shbobdb posted:

Anyone have any tips for maintaining motivation while you are crushing it? Early into the half, I managed to nail a huge account so I was riding at 120%. With my pre-existing customers, looking to close the half at a little over 160%. Not bad. Gonna get a whole new target, but that's OK. I haven't been dogging it, per se, I have a wedding to pay for and every extra dollar matters. But I got lucky and landed a huge account and I'll admit that I've been lazier than I should have been since then. It's too late for me not to have a seriously increased number next half, but I have been trying to manage expectations about the repeatability of this kind of a deal. Trying to get back into it (got a couple of really strong prospects, things are going well) but it's hard to act hungry after an all-you-can-eat buffet.

I've been moving, but less than I'd like. Well, that's not true. Yangming teaches that thought/desire and action are one-and-the-same. But that is where self-cultivation comes in. Any suggestions for how to act hungry when you are full? How to set-up the next half (especially after you've really hosed your numbers) without accidentally loving your numbers even more? Right now all I've got is the "aloof salesman game" to draw things out and accepting the attrition But that is a sloppy move and I'd rather get greased with the system.

Everyday is a new day. Laziness is unavoidable, but if the job you are doing is because it's what you enjoy, that allows you to keep a better focus even when you either max out or are comfortable.

I max out a lot at my job, and try to be nice and let others get some extra sales, but they just usually won't take the numbers anyway, so usually I just go "gently caress it" and keep moving hard. You gotta enjoy what you do.

And I would add there is a difference between killing numbers and working to the point of burning out. Avoid burning out at all costs, take advantage of time off, etc.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Mister Blueberry posted:

I just landed a job in sales in a printing company that specializes in industrial printing, ie pharmaceutical and cigarette packaging, promotional boxing etc. I've been working as a graphic designer for the last 5 years, and they mostly took me for my experience in offset printing as well as my language skills in the countries they are trying to develop.
I'm starting Wednesday, and I'm really nervous because i feel like I'm in over my head with the tasks that will be assigned to me. I'll be an Account Executive, meeting with clients abroad, making offers and closing deals. There's a formation period of course, learning the myriad of products that the company has and honing sales skills. Thing is, I really don't have any experience in sales a part from the fact that i held my own restaurant for 5 or so years. The managers are aware of this and want me to learn, but I think I'll need some literature on sales to get started somewhere.
I'd really like to keep this job and make a career out of it, since in the long run I'm aware that in this godforsaken country there won't be huge opportunities like this one, soon or ever.

I guess some of it just depends on how you are getting your leads and whether you need to work with cold or hot leads.

Best advice I could give:
-never assume anything
-always be selling for two months down the road (IE funnel)
-confidence plus relatable and good personality go a long way

It doesn't take years to learn sales tricks, so don't be intimidated. Go for it.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

piercedbronson posted:

Nice of you to assume I've ever had a girlfriend.

I just want to do right and I feel like without having been the one to make the sale I'm missing a lot of pertinent / personal info that makes it easy to have a conversation. But I can always gently caress it instead and try to loosen up.

Caring is important, but caring to the point of paralysis will kill you. Find whatever way you need to to loosen up. And honestly, I really would focus on the fact that you are customer service, so a lot of the pressure you are describing you are self inflicting on yourself.

Have fun, ask friendly questions about how they use it day to day, say congrats, hang up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
So I currently have a full time sales job, just curious if I am missing anything better:

I've worked in wireless 6 years now. I like it, I'm good at it, awesome. Currently at one of the large ones as a manager, outside of retail management past sales experience is in mostly retail sale (top 20 out of 1,000 people) and some experience on outside sales and Cold calling. I currently make about $70K.

Is there anything better out there for my skill set?

• Locked thread