Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pierced Bronson
Dec 26, 2011

shooting laser guns
and eating pussy

Duckman2008 posted:

-confidence

I just took a job as a 'sales assistant' at my local BMW dealer and I'm struggling badly with confidence.

Thing is, I'm great with customers as I know the product and am happy to answer questions and show someone how something works, and I also have a lot of personal experience with repairing various cars & thusly can honestly tout BMW's good build quality. I don't sell cars though. I'm the lead salesman's bitch so I do the test drives and interface with insurance companies and move cars around, swap plates, make coffee runs, etc. I'm basically forgettable, as far as the customers are concerned. I don't even have a card. This is what makes my most important job so difficult - I have to perform the follow-ups, i.e. call up the customer after delivery and chat with them to see how they're liking the car, any questions, etc. It sounds easy but for some reason as soon as I pick up the phone I fall apart and it projects like hell because I stutter and say dumb poo poo and can't think.

What's bullshit is that's actually supposed to be the salesman's job... the customer surveys ask very specifically “Did your Sales Advisor follow-up by phone or email after delivery?” So, I'm bad at something that my boss should be doing but doesn't because he's afraid it'll take up too much of his time and he'll miss an opportunity to hook a new walk-in customer and make a sale.

rant rant rant

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pierced Bronson
Dec 26, 2011

shooting laser guns
and eating pussy
Nice of you to assume I've ever had a girlfriend.

I just want to do right and I feel like without having been the one to make the sale I'm missing a lot of pertinent / personal info that makes it easy to have a conversation. But I can always gently caress it instead and try to loosen up.

Pierced Bronson
Dec 26, 2011

shooting laser guns
and eating pussy

Krono99 posted:

Jesus, how the hell do I get one of you at my job?

Start working for BMW, I guess? My position is legitimate / in the employee handbook here.

Pierced Bronson
Dec 26, 2011

shooting laser guns
and eating pussy

lazercunt posted:

e: Bronson, so what are you looking to improve, exactly? Back on topic from having-assistant chat. You should go to your salesperson with a plan on how to improve, and have some specific areas where you can get training and feedback. Maybe you can listen to the call recordings after the fact and look for opportunities to improve?

That's not much of an issue anymore, actually. We struck a balance where I get to send a follow-up email, and then the salesman will do the actual "call"-back. I send the emails from the salesman's account so it shows up as being written by him, which is a little sketchy to me, but unlike the alternative it doesn't make me suffer a debilitating neurosis.

A new problem is developing though where the guy is starting to talk down to me like I'm some kind of idiot, mostly because I ask to verify instructions because he's often so bad at giving them. Also I have a tendency to recite facts about a product, e.g. "Diesel engines get better economy, but the engine noise is a bit louder than gas so there's some comfort tradeoff" which may turn a customer away from the vehicle he wanted to sell them. It's not natural for me to put my own needs or those of the company I work for ahead of the needs of the customer, so sometimes I don't know that I've crossed a line just by answering questions to the best of my ability, and then I get chewed out.

Plus I'm making more and more trips to Duncan Donuts or wherever he ordered for lunch, and the other managers see it and have started asking me to do the same for them. I wouldn't mind it so much if I didn't have to use my own car and my own gas. At least, it feels extremely pedantic to write down the mileage every time I go out on a 1-2 mile drive and then demand compensation at the end of the week, but all the same, it's not what I signed up for. I do get free lunch tossed my way sometimes but how often can one eat burgers and burritos in front of the cute office girls upstairs before feeling like a total piece of poo poo?

lazercunt posted:

you have to completely manage an assistant, train them, delegate to them, and all that. You still need to find 20-40 hours of work for the assistant,

They don't find 40 hours of work for me. Half the time I just sit at my desk until the guy I work for wants me to do something for him. In fact I've worked about 45 hours every week and half the time I struggle to stay busy and no one seems to care. the other half though makes me want to pull my hair out.

As an aside, I'm baffled by how many people take such abject poo poo care of their car's interior.

Pierced Bronson fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Apr 13, 2015

Pierced Bronson
Dec 26, 2011

shooting laser guns
and eating pussy

I've had people ask me after a test drive "so are we working with you now?"

If I had a halfway decent desk or room for them to sit and knew the logistics of using our system to physically sell a car to someone then I might be inclined to weasel my way into a sales position that way. People seem to like me; too bad I have to duck out to my windowless office and stay out of sight most of the time.

Pierced Bronson
Dec 26, 2011

shooting laser guns
and eating pussy

Jordan7hm posted:

If my assistant burned me on even a single sale I'd probably start treating him like an idiot and asking him to stay away from customers. Not saying that happened, but definitely be careful what you're saying... you don't want to be contradicting the sales guy in front of a customer.

Unless you're on commission and can scoop him by being knowing what you're doing and not being a slimeball. In which case welcome to sales.

From his perspective that makes sense, but it's not like I can hover around while he tries to make a sale in order to understand his tactics and learn what I should stay away from saying. I'm just trying to be a helpful dude when I have the opportunity to do so. The other day I went on a drive with a girl buying a convertible, and she was like "wow this has such low mileage" and I said "well that's because people mostly buy convertibles to drive in the nice weather on weekends / for leisure, and park them in bad weather" thinking to myself that was a solid explanation, but then It opened a can of worms regarding winter safety and the need for snow tires.

Pierced Bronson
Dec 26, 2011

shooting laser guns
and eating pussy
fff

Pierced Bronson
Dec 26, 2011

shooting laser guns
and eating pussy

Jordan7hm posted:

ask your boss where he sees you 3 months down the road

That is perhaps the most diplomatic poo poo I've ever heard; I will use this advice. Thank you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pierced Bronson
Dec 26, 2011

shooting laser guns
and eating pussy
Greetings, fam. Thought one or two of you might be interested to know my boss's boss was very receptive to me not wanting to be a sales assistant for much longer, and I'll likely be moved to the position of "genius" (copied from Apple but for BMWs) in a couple months. I won't get rich but I also won't have to do degrading poo poo like fetch other peoples' food for them.

• Locked thread