Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

Hi... umm, I just got a job selling cars. And I’ve never sold cars before in my life.

I only started the job a few days ago, but I’m not really sure what I’m supposed to be doing; my “training” so far has mostly consisted of me sitting at a computer reading the manufacturer websites, except I don’t really know what I’m supposed to be looking for. My boss said I need to know what-all features come with the cars? He also wants me to spend some of my first days getting acquainted with the dealership and where everything is. He hasn’t taught me any actual sales skills yet. Basically, I’m spending my first few days at this place doing nothing but staring at a computer and occasionally walking around the lot. For 10 hours a day.

Help me become a good salesman please.

My first car sales job they didn't give a single poo poo about whether I knew a single thing about cars, they just put me in a 3-5 day long class about selling.

Your dealership is probably preferable.

New cars or used cars or both? I'm guessing new (or both) based on the reading manu websites.

And that's really one of the places where you can add value, knowing your products (and the competitors). Many, many, many car salespeople know jack poo poo about cars. I bought an F-150 this year and the sales guy (who was old and had been doing it a long time) told me all kinds of poo poo that was just flat out wrong. Like just off the top of my head he told me 1. that a truck that didn't have the 360 cameras did have it, 2. that Tundras have a locking rear diff, and 3. that F-150s don't have LED headlights as an option. You need to know the competitors (if you're selling new) but you don't want to make it seem like you're talking poo poo about them. E.g. "yeah that's a nice car but it didn't do that well on the offset crash test if I recall correctly" never "yeah that cars an unsafe piece of poo poo."

Most customers also know jack poo poo about cars, so finding out what things are important to them and steering them in the right direction is both good for you and good for them. And it also determines what you should say when you're telling them about the cars. You don't want to spend 5 minutes talking about horsepower to someone that only cares about gas mileage and you don't want to spend 5 minutes talking about the legroom in the third row seat to someone that is just gonna yank the seat out so they can let their three dobermans hump back there while they're driving to the dog park. You don't wanna walk up to someone and stick your hand out and say "My name's Frank, what are the three most important things to you in an automobile" but you should be able to find a way to essentially ask just that as rapidly as possible. What car they stopped by should be a pretty good clue about at least one or two things they may be interested in so just ask about one of those and then say "what else is important?" or similar.

There's all kinds of little tricks that range from "eh, that's just being a good sales person" to "uh, that's pretty gross." You can probably learn every one of them on Reddit or by googling "how to be a typical car salesman" or something. But the stuff the I liked was:

1. There's a million different sales "techniques" that are mostly just being personable. Look people in the eye. Be confident. Be friendly. Be happy. Try and get them talking, if you're doing all the talking it ain't good. Try and get their name immediately but don't have your fuckin notepad out writing it down while you're doing it.
2. Don't be afraid to ask for the sale. Or even assume the sale. When the manager gives you the sheet with the magic numbers there's nothing wrong with going back to the customers and saying "here we go, the car is X, your trade is Y, the difference is Z, and the payment will be around, uh, A. All you gotta do is sign here." Then just sit there and see how they respond.
3. Take a shitload of ups. Nobody cares that much if the new guy is taking a lot of ups. They'll still probably talk poo poo about it but they only really care if you're still doing it 3-6 months in and beyond. Some dealers have systems for ups I guess though, and don't violate those obviously.
4. Follow up. And I'm talking after a sale, not calling the people that didn't buy every day for 6 months. Just call em (or if you mostly corresponded via text, text em. or both). Ask em how the car is, make a little chit chat, and then right before they hang up make sure to tell them if they know someone that's looking, to tell them to come in and ask for you by name. You don't want it to seem like the only reason you're calling is for a referral, but you want referrals.

Stuff that I learned that I didn't like as much:
1. Pretending that Thing X is something that your car has but others don't when it isn't even remotely true. E.g. side impact beams. I think literally every car (sold in the US) has fuckin side impact beams and has for over a decade.
2. Trying to cram a customer into finance when it's obvious they're not remotely close to buying a car that instant. This isn't that common but it's possible to shuffle someone off to the finance guy when they really shouldn't be. It probably does statistically result in 0.3% more car sales but I don't think it's worth it.
3. Asking for peoples credit info the second you sit down in your cubicle. Yeah, you're gonna waste some extra time trying to sell a new 50k dollar truck to people with -400 credit scores. Tough poo poo, that's your job. And it just annoys people that aren't credit gently caress ups. If your boss flat out says you gotta ask, then ask I guess, but I think it's dumb. Asking for their address and phone number is fine (and if they won't give you that then most of the time you got zero shot), asking for their social security number and gross income isn't.
4. Follow up. Before the sale. Don't call people every fuckin day unless you know they're buying immediately. Doing it for 2 to 4 days because you know they need a car right now because theirs got totalled is one thing but doing it for 6 weeks because the computer and your boss says you're supposed to is another.
5. Don't push selling the car on payment unless they say they only care about the payment. This probably worked a lot better in the 80s or some poo poo but practically everyone knows its a typical sleazy trick now so it's just gonna piss a lot of people off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread