Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alfalfa
Apr 24, 2003

Superman Don't Need No Seat Belt
Looking at applications for sales jobs, a lot of them ask if you have completed any formal sales training?

What does that even mean? Are there special schools or programs that offer formal sales training?

I just always learned mine from books and what experienced sales people have written or talked about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alfalfa
Apr 24, 2003

Some great sales tips and recommendations, especially in the last few posts.

Does anyone have any good book recommendations regarding more the networking side of sales and business (for example Never Eat Alone)?

Looking to really improve and grow my network since I'm going to be switching careers/fields and was looking for some advice and tips.

Alfalfa
Apr 24, 2003

What are you guys selling?

I'm always interested learning what everyone does and all the different fields people work in since sales is everywhere.

Alfalfa
Apr 24, 2003

So I'm more than likely going to end up taking a new sales job selling business services, risk management, benefits, insurance, etc to middle level c-level businesses.

The executives of the companies in the industries that I'll be selling into will mainly be older 55-65+ biz owners who are more that good ole boy type.

I can hold a conversation with them but it still seems forced on my end and in the past I've never felt like they get comfortable with me to really allow me to help work with them and help them out.

My business attire might be a little too fashionable for them (aka tailored slacks w/out pleats, tailored patterned shirt, tie, and dress shoes, compared to them wearing dockers, loafers from 1995, and an otr yellow shirt w/ old tie).

Any advice to help fit in with them better and develop a better relationship with them instead of coming across as a young(er) salesman just trying to take their money?

Alfalfa
Apr 24, 2003

I took a new "sales" job at the start of January and although the pay is good, I'm not actually selling (or ever will be selling). I prospect for appointments all day on the phone and when I do book an appointment our account executives go to the meeting.

Then my commission is based off if they close the deal or not.

I want to be in a sales role where I'm doing all aspects of the sales process.

My question is, should I list this on my resume, and what should I say so it doesn't read like I just did telemarketing?

Alfalfa
Apr 24, 2003

Snatch Duster posted:

What you are doing is appointment setting aka New Business Development.

Most companies start off green sales people in this type of role, to see if they can take rejection. Most companies are moving to this type of sales specalization, and NBD is its own field outright. Not all great NBD make good closers, but all great closers are decent NBDs. At least, that is the theory.

The system is broken down quiet well in Predictable Revenue.
http://predictablerevenue.com/

It's not so much what I'm doing that bothers me. It's more that this was not the role discussed at all during the interview process and definitely does not play to my strengths (especially in selling). NBD I'm fine with and I'm really fine with rejection.

What I'm not fine with, is not being able to come up with the solution or find out a prospects actual problems and let them know how I/the product or service/our company can help them.

I will say having to do nothing but NBD behind a phone for a few weeks has definitely helped reenergize my desire to sell, compared to when I ran my gym and wasn't worried so much on that side of things.

Edit: also there is no strategy or training in place to move someone from the NBD role into an AE or manager role, which is another red flag to me.

Alfalfa
Apr 24, 2003

Lyon posted:

Do you have experience running the full sales cycle for a product? You obviously had to do this at your gym but I mean specifically previous corporate experience at another company where you ran the full sales cycle for a product/service? If not then this is probably a good stepping stone. My first sales job was doing appointment setting then I used that to transition to true inside sales at another company (running full sales cycle for smaller products and existing customers) and then finally I transitioned from inside sales to outside sales at that company. Appointment setting/NBD is fairly traditional way to start a sales career.

If you already have a large amount of sales experience then doing pure appointment setting/NBD sounds like something you aren't super interested in so you might want to start looking for a different position.

Edit: Also I used to love reading your posts in W&W... should probably make my way back there since non stop travel for the last 4 years has not done well for my physical fitness.

My first sales job I was the outside sales rep for one of the bigger neutraceutical companies in the country.

I worked all of Houston and southern Louisiana selling to doctors and medical offices.

I did 90% of my own prospecting and lead generation, meeting with DM's, creating solutions, and asking for the decision.

In these 3 jobs (that, my gym, and this current one), I can fully say I have experience with every type of sales role from doing it all, just selling to hot prospects that went through the sales funnel, and now just filling the sales funnel).

Alfalfa
Apr 24, 2003

Snatch Duster posted:

If you were in Portland area I would say come on into my agency for an interview. We have two positions open, a NBD and AE role. I would think your experience would fit for the AE position.

Have any contacts in Houston? lol

Alfalfa
Apr 24, 2003

I've definitely been there and it definitely comes down to finding that balance. What do you want to do more? Have time to spend with your son and enjoy the things you can purchase? Or be able to purchase way cooler things that you have no time to use or spend with your son.

I used to be the toys line for sure, but now with family in the picture I care less about getting to x if it costs me hours with my family that I'm not willing to lose.

You have a 1 & 5 year plan laid out for lifestyle and money?

Doing that really helped me because I could always look back at it and see if what I was doing at that point in time was helping me get towards those goals of how I wanted my overall life to be.

Alfalfa
Apr 24, 2003

Our company recently provided myself and a few other reps one year of access to LinkedIn Sales Navigator. I'm looking around in it and outside of the ability to search more in-depth don't really see how else to use it from a sales standpoint.

Can anyone recommend a quality guide or some personal experience on the best way to utilize it to get appointments?

Alfalfa
Apr 24, 2003

lord1234 posted:

Any of your companies moved/moving to TripActions instead of Concur for travel/hotel bookings?

We moved from Concur's travel and booking (still use it for expense management/reporting) to Egencia.

Why did your company move off Concur?

Alfalfa
Apr 24, 2003

DumbparameciuM posted:

Do you guys think I should post the "Ways to answer trap questions without sounding like a complete deadshit" stuff? It's probably going to be longer and might be a bit less structured.

If it's similar info and as well answered as your previous post then yes... post it all.

Alfalfa
Apr 24, 2003

Every BNI Group in my area is flooded already with people in my profession. Are there any other similar groups like BNI that are worth checking out?

Alfalfa
Apr 24, 2003

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

Hi... umm, I just got a job selling cars. And I’ve never sold cars before in my life.

I only started the job a few days ago, but I’m not really sure what I’m supposed to be doing; my “training” so far has mostly consisted of me sitting at a computer reading the manufacturer websites, except I don’t really know what I’m supposed to be looking for. My boss said I need to know what-all features come with the cars? He also wants me to spend some of my first days getting acquainted with the dealership and where everything is. He hasn’t taught me any actual sales skills yet. Basically, I’m spending my first few days at this place doing nothing but staring at a computer and occasionally walking around the lot. For 10 hours a day.

Help me become a good salesman please.

Congrats on either really having a lucrative job or a really horrible job.

I highly recommend checking out Reddit sales and search car sales. Tons of threads and pinned posts about car sales.

Alfalfa
Apr 24, 2003

Anyone in here do recruiting?

I've been thinking of moving into that industry and it seems like most people are shady and super scammy so I would really like some feedback on the industry before looking into it further.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alfalfa
Apr 24, 2003

General Probe posted:

My wife does IT recruiting and is pretty successful at it, I can grill her for you if you'd like.

E: We also both really enjoyed your workout routine/thread from W&W.

That would be great and glad my workouts and info helped out.

Alfalfa fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Mar 9, 2018

• Locked thread