Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Krono99
Dec 5, 2003

Death of Innocence posted:

In the short term I recognize the need to build my resume and my professional skills, but my career goals are that I'd like to make as much as possible, as soon as possible. I would like to save and invest while I'm young, so I value highly the amount I can make over the next few years and the next decade. I would really like some advice on what I should do next, and what I should be aiming for career-wise. It sounds like there are many kinds of sales positions, in very different industries, but if you were starting now, which way would you head?

I've done sales in a variety of industries. I started with cell phones and wireless tech at a corporate AT&T store, then sold Real Estate as a licensed broker in my state, and now sell vehicles at a very successful local dealership.

I would say, far and away, I have found auto sales to be the field where you can make the most money in the shortest amount of time.

I got into wireless, less because it was sales, more because it was a union job with 'good benefits' and I had a kid on the way. The idea of earning more via commission was just a bonus. I got into Real Estate because it was my passion and I foolishly believed that doing something that makes you happy will lead to some kind of zen like existence, but instead it just made me broke and unsatisfied with my life. The people who say to follow your passion either got lucky and have a passion that pays well, or are just miserable people failing in some other field, simply advising you to not go the route they did.

If I could talk to myself in my 20's I would say 'Hey, Real Estate is fun, but it's a hobby, not a career. Go sell cars to build your bank roll, THEN get involved in real estate the right way, slowly and with lots of cash in hand.'

VH4Ever posted:

Who can tell me about car sales and the pros/cons of working in that industry? To be specific: I mean working for a major dealer, not a dirt lot.

Pro's: Fantastic money, as long as you're at a quality dealership and an ability to make more than you'd ever expected from just 'moving some metal'. Get to drive interesting vehicles, meet all kinds of people (slept with a couple cute girls whom I sold cars to), get really good at reading people and understanding negotiating not just car deals, but everything in your life.

Con's: Hours. The loving hours. You're going to work your balls off and not have much of a 'life' outside of your job but if you're like me, it's worth it because you're making in a single year of car sales what you would earn in multiple years of something you were 'passionate' about.

I work at a wonderful mixed dealership where you can sell both new and used, and they both pay great. After the bail-out, GM has really come out swinging with solid products, good customer service and a brand I can be proud to represent. I am extremely, extremely lucky to be at the dealership I am, but I've worked my way here. Some dealerships out there across the country, I suspect, are similar to this one in that they only hire people with a track record and a bit of experience in the field.

I started at a Nissan dealership run by a complete D-Bag who knew very little about how to take care of his employees, but alot about how to put money in his own pocket. This lead to a dealership with a turnover rate that makes McDonalds look good. The pay plan was challenging and alot of the guys who had worked at other dealerships complained about it but in my best year there I just ignored the nay-sayers, worked my rear end off and made over 80K my second year in the business. My best year in wireless sales was about 70K and I knew it could be even better.

I was fortunate enough to get a chance to join this rapidly growing family owned hyper aggressive dealership locally that sells 300-400 units a month and I'm now on pace to easily break 100K for the first time in my life and do so in an area with an average general income of around 35K. They have a free demo program so I can drive whatever I want, they expect their salesman to be productive so there is no one looking over my shoulder or micro managing, they NEVER ask you to do any 'porter work' around the dealership (like removing snow from vehicles, moving cars around the lot, etc) and I couldn't be happier.

Now all that gushy stuff being said, I am working 50-60 hours a week (by my own choice) and I have basically no time for anything else besides my son. I've pretty much given up on video games, partying more than a couple times a month, and I've even had to give up the gym because my financial goals are my priority. It's hard work for sure and the long hours do get to me sometimes but the pay is crazy and the things that it's allowing me to do in a short period of time is life changing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krono99
Dec 5, 2003

Pierced Bronson posted:

I just took a job as a 'sales assistant' at my local BMW dealer and I'm struggling badly with confidence.

Thing is, I'm great with customers as I know the product and am happy to answer questions and show someone how something works, and I also have a lot of personal experience with repairing various cars & thusly can honestly tout BMW's good build quality. I don't sell cars though. I'm the lead salesman's bitch so I do the test drives and interface with insurance companies and move cars around, swap plates, make coffee runs, etc. I'm basically forgettable, as far as the customers are concerned. I don't even have a card. This is what makes my most important job so difficult - I have to perform the follow-ups, i.e. call up the customer after delivery and chat with them to see how they're liking the car, any questions, etc. It sounds easy but for some reason as soon as I pick up the phone I fall apart and it projects like hell because I stutter and say dumb poo poo and can't think.

What's bullshit is that's actually supposed to be the salesman's job... the customer surveys ask very specifically “Did your Sales Advisor follow-up by phone or email after delivery?” So, I'm bad at something that my boss should be doing but doesn't because he's afraid it'll take up too much of his time and he'll miss an opportunity to hook a new walk-in customer and make a sale.

Jesus, how the hell do I get one of you at my job? I'm one of the top salesman at one of the top dealerships in the US for GMC but company policy states I'm not allowed to have an assistant, even if I pay their salary 100% out of my pocket.

I would LOVE to have someone making my follow up calls and handle some of the day to day time-sink activities so I could focus on capitalizing on actual customer contacts and squeezing out a few extra sales a month.

Krono99
Dec 5, 2003
It's sad but I like to read stories of other peoples struggles and misery in sales... I guess it helps me cope with my own struggles. I have moved up to a top flight sales position with a great income, but it comes with a stupid commitment of hours every week that I'm having trouble continuing to just swallow every week.

An absolutely minimum of 55+ hours every week for multiple years really takes a toll on you eventually, and I just can't understand how anyone can keep doing this long term. It's bad that I don't enjoy going in to work anymore, and while I still experience the 'thrill of the hunt', I find myself every single day now counting down the hours to when I'm off. Which is pretty sad in itself because I'm so tired from the 12-14 hour day that all I'm going to do is go home, eat, and go to sleep to start over tomorrow. It didn't feel like that early on, and I'm not sure if its burnout with sales or burnout with this particular 55+ hour a week schedule.

I'm guilty of 'keeping up with the Joneses' in that I've increased my expenditures on a nice house, toys and bad habits and spoiling my son to where now I can't really afford to step back to a regular 40 hour a week job if it means stepping back to a sub six figure income.

It's strange to me that I have college educated friends who are jealous of my income and incredulous about how I skipped college and now make more than many doctors and lawyers, but how I'm not happy with my situation.

They say money can't buy happiness but that's half right, half wrong. I've been broke and struggled to pay the bills before as well, and I can say with certainty, if I'm going to be miserable, I would rather it be with the bills paid than without.

Everything in life is about balance and I suppose I should have struck a better balance of schedule and free time earlier on in my career. Heavy income is great but almost kind of pointless if you're never available to actually enjoy your house, family, friends and the stupid crap you've bought with that money.

Sorry this post doesn't have much direction or architecture, I guess I'm just having a bad day and this is me venting.

Krono99 fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Oct 7, 2016

• Locked thread