Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Suave Fedora
Jun 10, 2004
I'm going to apply for a Sales Account Manager position at a wireless company opening a new branch where I live. I've been in IT support services since like 2000 and want to take the leap into a more traditional business department likes Sales & Marketing.

As a wireless admin, I've been on the receiving end of wireless for six years now as a telecom/wireless administrator and know pretty well what tactics I've liked and didn't like from the multitude of sales account managers that have serviced our corporate account over the years. I have the same industry knowledge that they do from working with them every day and have hit the progress ceiling where I work.

I enjoy meeting new people and am very good at finding things other people enjoy talking about. My only hangup is that I feel that I have to believe in the product I am selling, and while I feel that way about this company, I really won't know its products until I get my boots on the ground.

My long-term goal is to become more involved with CRM (customer relationship marketing) but in my current company that goal is not looking too good, so I figure that I'll should go for a new experience - which is very appealing to me - and hope they have a CRM system in place I can get some experience with and leverage that in the future.

This really resonates with me:

Duckman2008 posted:

A lot of times the best sales reps are the ones with no previous experience (I work in wireless retail). They don't have bad habits, are optimistic and don't know what "isn't possible."

I find it just comes down to focus, consistency and connecting to people.

Suave Fedora fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Apr 22, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suave Fedora
Jun 10, 2004

Snatch Duster posted:

To be successful in sales, you do not have to love the product/service and company to succeed. But if you want to do phenomenally well and move up into management roles, you have to love what you are selling. If you don't, you'll burn out quick which will make you start resenting work and yourself.

Your end goal, should be to move out of sales into marketing or you will end up like Sheldon Levine. A broken old man that steals from the company.

The good thing about this is that I do love wireless technology and I love showing people how to use it to improve their lives. I've taught everyone from our CEO down to the rank and file how to use a specific technology (smartphone, mifi, app, calendar, etc) so that they become more efficient. That is a passion of mine so I think that will translate pretty well into the company I'm targeting.

Whether I stay at my current job or find something new, my end goal will always be to move into Marketing. I've tried doing that where I am now, and the wheels are starting to turn, albeit very slow. I should have started this longer ago, but such is life. Now that I know how to talk to people outside of my department about opportunities, I feel confidently that I can take this know-how with me and apply it to wherever I may work.

I have no idea who is Sheldon Levine...edumacate me!

Suave Fedora
Jun 10, 2004

Duckman2008 posted:

Which company are you applying to? If your long term goal is marketing of any sort, and it's a retail sales rep position you are applying to, that's a lot of jumps to get from one to the other. I do retail wireless sales and I love it overall, but my direct paths of promotions overall are management, business sales, things like that. Marketing is a hard one to jump to from what I can tell since they would just hire someone with a specific degree or experience.

Unless you are younger and just starting out, I would def only recommend wireless sales working for corporate and not a franchise. Someone who is 21 might need to work indirect first to get experience, but the pay, benefits and opportunities are just so much better at corporate vs non corporate.

Sending you a PM...

Suave Fedora
Jun 10, 2004
I have to watch this movie now.

Mobile marketing is interesting, thanks for mentioning it. I'm already thinking about the myriad reasons why someone would and would not want to click an ad from their cellphone. Context and "is this worth clicking out of my app for?"

• Locked thread