Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bEatmstrJ
Jun 30, 2004

Look upon my bathroom joists, ye females, and despair.
Just found this thread.

I was previously a Sales Engineer for a well known firewall company and am now a Sr. Sales Engineer for a well known endpoint company.

Pretty awesome gig if you don't mind learning new stuff everyday and feeling the constant pressure of quotas looming in on you.

Feel free to hit me up if you have any questions or need any advice.

Best perk so far is being constantly recruited on LinkedIn. Makes you feel like you chose the right career.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bEatmstrJ
Jun 30, 2004

devoir posted:

hi5 Sr Sales Engineer buddy.

Are you in the Bay Area?

No, I'm down in SoCal. I work from home. My previous employer's US headquarters was in the Bay Area though so I was up there fairly regularly. Current employer is on the East coast.

bEatmstrJ
Jun 30, 2004

devoir posted:

I am currently remote, but am being relocated to the Bay Area by my current employer, which is nice (yes, it's more expensive, etc).

I will miss the flexibility of working from home 100%, but re-gaining the better interpersonal connections in the office is something to look forward to. It also helps for further career progression.

Yeah, with my last gig I spent a lot of time on-site with local customers, but this one is almost 100% remote so I don't get a lot of face time. We're being acquired right now so things might change in the future but its a blessing and a curse. I enjoy the freedom and extra time I have by not driving to meetings all the time, but I lose the personal connection and social aspect.

bEatmstrJ
Jun 30, 2004

Shooting Blanks posted:

Interview question specific to sales, more specifically IT sales. Last few interviews I've had they asked specifically about my previous income, which is a question I can dodge - but a few have asked for recent W2s. I know this is policy at some companies (Salesforce) but I'm not turning that over to someone after an initial interview. I'd prefer not to discuss my current income at all, it does me no good to answer that. Is this common now during the interview process, is this something anyone here would expect to be asked (and be comfortable answering)?

I got asked this question and was asked to furnish W2's. It's hard to get around it gracefully and I'm fairly certain you're not required to furnish that info, but it's kind of tricky when they can walk away from hiring you if you don't. What i've found is that its usually HR that wants this info and there is often a disconnect between HR and the hiring manager who has certain expectations of what you're worth and what they are expecting to pay you, regardless of how much you're currently getting. Although my W2's showed quite a bit less than I mentioned (I fudged a bit) it wasn't brought up and I was still offered a 50% salary increase. My next job didn't ask for W2's but they did ask what I was making at the time. I told them I turned down an offer for X dollars from another company, which was true, but X dollars was also significantly more than I was making at the time. They wound up offering me well over X dollars and I accepted.

bEatmstrJ
Jun 30, 2004

Shooting Blanks posted:

This is kind of what I expected. In an initial interview I'll just say "Hey, my W2 has sensitive info, can we hold on that until further into the hiring process? I don't want to send it unnecessarily" and then sell myself to the actual hiring manager. Thanks!

Ideally you'll want to be talking to the hiring manager long before you ever talk to HR. In a perfect world, furnishing info to HR should just be a formality after they have selected you for the job. Talk to some recruiters who can get you face to face with hiring managers instead of going through the resume wastebin process with HR.

bEatmstrJ
Jun 30, 2004

Good stuff! Shared it with some friends who are currently interviewing.

bEatmstrJ
Jun 30, 2004

Also, I'd hire you.

bEatmstrJ
Jun 30, 2004

DumbparameciuM posted:

Haha! Thanks. Would you sponsor me and pay my movement costs to get to the us? Would seriously consider it if so

If I had my own business, maybe. Surely there is some US based organization that would love to have you work here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bEatmstrJ
Jun 30, 2004

lord1234 posted:

Anyone interview for an SE role at Google? I'd love to hear what the interview process is like.

I just applied for an SE position at Google, but haven't heard back yet. I'm not really looking for a job, but it's Google, so gently caress it.

• Locked thread