Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Death of Innocence
Jan 12, 2006

I'm interested in getting into Sales. I just graduated with a BA in Economics, and I worked through college (8 years!) at a small 10-20 person Bay Area company as general office staff with occasional management and sales aspects. I don't have extensive sales experience in a defined sales role, but I have done an outside sales campaign for the company, where I met with private school directors to pitch our services. In addition I have worked at our booth for several professional conventions, with a focus on recruiting.

I don't know what kinds of sales positions I should be aiming for, or how to aim for them when I may lack relevant industry experience and sales experience. At the same time I am apprehensive about advice to take a position such as the Enterprise thing where you work 50 hours a week to make $35k a year. It would be a paycut for me, in terms of $/hour, and its designed for people fresh out of college without any professional experience whatsoever. I think I would better further my career by making a forward or upward movement towards more money and a full-grown sales position. I mean if it were possible to directly take the job you'd go for after Enterprise, of course I'd prefer to do that.

In the short term I recognize the need to build my resume and my professional skills, but my career goals are that I'd like to make as much as possible, as soon as possible. I would like to save and invest while I'm young, so I value highly the amount I can make over the next few years and the next decade. I would really like some advice on what I should do next, and what I should be aiming for career-wise. It sounds like there are many kinds of sales positions, in very different industries, but if you were starting now, which way would you head?

Shadowgate posted:

There are a lot of different types of sales roles, and with the come a variety of job titles. Each company does things a bit differently, but the typical structure is having an Account Manager who does almost all of the phone based work, and handles things like quoting, administrative tasks like shipping, address updating, etc. Then you would typically have an Account Executive who is responsible for traveling to visit customers face to face, running with the opportunity and closing it down, essentially doing all of the face to face coordination. Typically the two work together very closely as a team.

As far as money goes, if you are working in a phone based position in the tech world, you should be making between $40k-100k. If you are field based, you should be making $75k-the sky is the limit. I know some field people who make $500k a year, but the norm is probably closer to $150k-$200k. Typically you should avoid roles that are commission only as most reputable companies give a healthy salary in addition to commission (although there are exceptions to this).

My roots are in the Bay Area, if there's an industry I'm well located for, it's tech. I would definitely be interested in hearing more about this. How do I get in?

Death of Innocence fucked around with this message at 10:16 on Apr 10, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Death of Innocence
Jan 12, 2006

Thanks, I'm going to go check this out.

• Locked thread