Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Delizin posted:

Since this is Something Awful, I'll come clean on the WM cheat secrets. There are no cheats, hacks, dupes or "loops" in the guild. There are occasionally bugs or lag that gets labeled as hacks, but those are rare and unintentional. Most people are actually just terrible at the game and like to use the excuse that the opponents are cheating instead of admitting that they are bad.

WM records all of it's banes and a lot of their mine fights and posts them online. They also aggressively report any bugs they find, because it is in everyone's interest for this game to be as bug free as possible.

But the guys that I'm talking to have played SB constantly. They were there the day SB was shut down 3-4 years ago, and played for 6 years leading up to it. I wouldn't consider them bad players by any stretch. These guys have in fact played with a number of the WM group on other servers and they know they have exploiters and such in their ranks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007
IF I REPORT SOMETHING, BAN ME.

Zotix posted:

But the guys that I'm talking to have played SB constantly. They were there the day SB was shut down 3-4 years ago, and played for 6 years leading up to it. I wouldn't consider them bad players by any stretch. These guys have in fact played with a number of the WM group on other servers and they know they have exploiters and such in their ranks.

Literally everyone that played shadowbane on live exploited at some point. The emulator can be buggy at times, we have the exact same issues on our side.

Hell, sometimes I who someone and they show up 30 times in the who screen

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

Well got the scout in the OP to R3 pretty quickly, funny the game is more stable under Wine on an emulated server than it was at launch heh. Anyway, not going to bother playing much if there's a wipe imminent. Will probably roll another bird scout Friday though, enjoyed the bit I played.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

Lorem ipsum posted:

Basically, everyone should have a nephilim warlock on server up. Roll anything else you want - I personally suggest rolling that mino and the scout in the OP - but make sure you get a nephlock going. Nephlocks fit into this weird niche that can fly forever and aoe with only the r3 trainers in Khar. This makes them one of the very few classes that can farm and powerlevel effectively on server up.

Will be PLing my horse hunty and bird hunty at startup. :colbert:

Wish you could make pets assist others

Fog Tripper fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Mar 19, 2014

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007
So we had a bane last night

http://www.twitch.tv/hollyw00dlol/b/512358496

It went well

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013
It wouldn't be shadowbane without rampant cheating and accusations of cheating, ahhh the memories.

Orv
May 4, 2011
There's one guy on the MB forums that does nothing but post long winded explanations of how this person or that person is cheating while regularly providing screenshots that prove him wrong. It's good comedy.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe
Farted around with a fresh irekei dagger scout last night. brought back fond memories, but were virtually zero groups in the noob leveling areas.

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

Fog Tripper posted:

Farted around with a fresh irekei dagger scout last night. brought back fond memories, but were virtually zero groups in the noob leveling areas.

Mostly I'd say people just level themselves up with a smallish group to get off newbie island, but there are pretty regularly groups out in the bog.

Me personally, I roll two characters I want to play and then a wizard or huntress on a third account since the pet one shots everything on newbie island.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

Combo posted:

Mostly I'd say people just level themselves up with a smallish group to get off newbie island, but there are pretty regularly groups out in the bog.

Me personally, I roll two characters I want to play and then a wizard or huntress on a third account since the pet one shots everything on newbie island.

Well, I leveled a handful of toons last couple weeks. Just last night it seemed the vast majority were offline waiting for friday.

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

Yeah, I haven't bothered playing at all this week so far.

Jalumibnkrayal
Apr 16, 2008

Ramrod XTreme

Lorem ipsum posted:

So we had a bane last night

http://www.twitch.tv/hollyw00dlol/b/512358496

It went well

Well, you weren't kidding about the racism.

twitch125
Mar 11, 2003

Bull in the China Shop
ha, drat. who would have thought this was around. Gonna have to try it out for old times sake at the very least. The build possibilities in this game are AWESOME! I hope you can still build a dual throwing knife wielding dwarf warrior.

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007

twitch125 posted:

I hope you can still build a dual throwing knife wielding dwarf warrior.

You can, but the viability is somewhat questionable with the current state of the metagame and some nerfs that hit throwing at the end of live. Also, the 110% wing axes can be thrown just as fast and do more damage.

Werkwerk
Dec 23, 2003
Fat.
Are the giant chucker builds viable for stupid goons, or not so much? I'm assuming we can still do team BONER style things once we get a town up and running.

I miss the chinese wars in this game. 1000 chinese characters against 300 NA/EU/everyone else.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

Lorem ipsum posted:

Literally everyone that played shadowbane on live exploited at some point. The emulator can be buggy at times, we have the exact same issues on our side.

Hell, sometimes I who someone and they show up 30 times in the who screen

I played live.

I did not cheat.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe
ok, gave up after struggling to get level 8 this eve

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007

Fog Tripper posted:

ok, gave up after struggling to get level 8 this eve

Yea I don't blame you. It sounds like the server is melting with the number of people playing.

denizen
Aug 12, 2003
i am the only denizen

Lorem ipsum posted:

Yea I don't blame you. It sounds like the server is melting with the number of people playing.

That's what i heard too. I will try it later in the night and see.

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

denizen posted:

That's what i heard too. I will try it later in the night and see.

Still melting in a big way. Have spent a couple hours getting a duo to level 7. I'm watching movies at the same time so it's no fuss, but if you want to actively play I don't think tonight is feasible, not atm anyway.

Tom Powers
May 26, 2007
You big dummy!
I want to be huge and demolish people in melee with the biggest numbers possible, all else be damned.

What kind of character allows me to accomplish this?

Sentinel looks like he has both a defense debuff and damage buff which may help, but it doesn't strike me as the actual damage class for some reason. Barbarian just sounds nasty but mostly seems to have one-off buffs to ignore some crowd control, take more damage, sort of thing which seems counter-productive.

I notice the go-to template is a minotaur warrior, is this because of the spell resist?

Orv
May 4, 2011

Tom Powers posted:

I notice the go-to template is a minotaur warrior, is this because of the spell resist?

It's because they run like the Flash and hit like several trucks full of Supermen.

Tom Powers
May 26, 2007
You big dummy!
So SBEmu is public now.

They're trying to get people to do a stress test, and then they'll migrate over the current server to closed beta and have a fresh open beta. That's my understanding.

I hopped on cause I was bored and holy poo poo there are a lot of people playing it.

Raised a few characters from 10-20 or so on Magicbane and only ever ran into maybe 6 actual people (a few were probably boxing) and there were just that many in town running around when I logged on, and I'm just out in the middle of nowhere and there are 4 other people running around.

It sounds like the server is pretty inferior though, hardware aside. Probably why they're trying to grab all of the players they can while they can.

Orv posted:

It's because they run like the Flash and hit like several trucks full of Supermen.
Wouldn't (hypothetically) a class that has something to boost attack do more damage though? From what I understand the only unique thing Warrior has is Hold Fast.

Or are there passives or other customization options I'm unaware of?

Edit: Ah, I see, it's probably because of Blood Horn.

Tom Powers fucked around with this message at 09:19 on Mar 22, 2014

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

Tom Powers posted:

So SBEmu is public now.

They're trying to get people to do a stress test, and then they'll migrate over the current server to closed beta and have a fresh open beta. That's my understanding.

I hopped on cause I was bored and holy poo poo there are a lot of people playing it.

Raised a few characters from 10-20 or so on Magicbane and only ever ran into maybe 6 actual people (a few were probably boxing) and there were just that many in town running around when I logged on, and I'm just out in the middle of nowhere and there are 4 other people running around.

It sounds like the server is pretty inferior though, hardware aside. Probably why they're trying to grab all of the players they can while they can.

Which server are you bashing, now? You raised a few characters to 10-20 last night on MB and didn't notice the hordes of players during land rush? 4 Other people?

your post is hella confusing.

Tom Powers
May 26, 2007
You big dummy!

Fog Tripper posted:

Which server are you bashing, now? You raised a few characters to 10-20 last night on MB and didn't notice the hordes of players during land rush? 4 Other people?

your post is hella confusing.
I've gotten 4 characters in MagicBane from 10-20 or so since it opened and rarely saw anyone else.

Tried playing recently and couldn't, probably because it's more popular now.

Edit: And then I saw droves of people on SBEmu. I should have been more clear.

If it's as bad as it sounds, it won't really hold the population, but it's got that sort of "brand recognition" going for it.

Minclark
Dec 24, 2013
Hopefully one of these teams gets a stable server... but pay to play game was never stable anyway so I might have my hopes a bit high.

denizen
Aug 12, 2003
i am the only denizen
Newbie island was serviceable tonight, but there's a 10 second lag on every button push training skills. Wizard is working well enough for early levelling. I'm not sold on the Wehrmacht guild though. Anyone who is playing here and has a line on another guild PM me or post.

I LIKE COOKIE
Dec 12, 2010

Those wondering about the "rascist" aspect, it really is a part of the game. It feels like 'us vs them' when it comes to the Chinese. The fact that everyone has giant nation and sub-nation (guild) icons above them really aids to this. When you can't communicate at all in a game like this, poo poo gets real. Diplomacy and agreements are impossible unless you can read Chinese. It's actually really awesome and is an amazing case study on nationalism and cultural divides.

I've never played a game with such intense poo poo talking. Those who view this in a negative way, don't. It's a game. You pick your friends at the start then everyone else is an enemy. This adds an extermely unique depth and intensity. Its fun.

In other (most) MMOs group warfare is a joke. Log out, go idle, whatever. Who needs dumb poo poo like 10% exp gains anyway?

Here, there's ONLY way to get valuable loot and skills. it's from killing monsters who stay in a small area. Rarer ones take forever to reappear. with large gaps of nothing in between, Valuable mobs and resource areas are hotly contested. If your enemy is farming/hogging a certain place, you can't go there. Pvp is forced.

important NPCs respawn at regular intervals. you'll have a group of 20 sitting and waiting for an NPC to respawn on the scheduled time. So after pvping and scrambling to snag the kill, it only drops ONE skill or item (skills are loot too, good luck on your own).

And then motherfuckers literally come to your town you built from nothing and drop a big "gently caress you" on your doorstep letting you know that 12:00am August 5th, the town is theirs. (you get like two days notice).
pvp is intense and personal.

I loved this game

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

So I assume Boatmurdered is the SA guild under Wermacht? How does one go about getting an invite to that?

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007

squirrelzipper posted:

So I assume Boatmurdered is the SA guild under Wermacht? How does one go about getting an invite to that?

That's us! Ask in irc for an invite or you can try sending one of us a tell ingame.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe
Jesus the game has been running like poo. Every fix they restart for is making things worse.
Cannot even get money from my bank after the last one this AM.

Uziel
Jun 28, 2004

Ask me about losing 200lbs, and becoming the Viking God of W&W.

Tomed2000 posted:

2/5 - Mino Warrior/Dwarf Xbow Warrior. Mino warriors and Dwarf xbows are really easy to play and are effective with low rank trainers. In my experience guilds run with quite a few of these classes in every Bane fight.

If anyone has newb questions feel free to ask here or on IRC. It's hard starting out in this game since nothing is indexed by Google anymore and the Wiki is rather poo poo.
Got a link/build for Dwarf Xbow Warrior? Never played one before and it sounds fun.

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007

Uziel posted:

Got a link/build for Dwarf Xbow Warrior? Never played one before and it sounds fun.

code:
DWARF XBOW WARRIOR

startup- 5 out of str and dex, warlords page

in game - 30 strength rune if possible, really anything to get your strength above 110 or so then 60 int and max con out

archer rune, giant killer rune, forgemaster, gladiator 

max xbow, archery, athletics, toughness etc

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe
May be back after a week, month year or whatnot. Game is fun but seems to be filled with the same type of asshats that filled the live servers.

Will be killing pubbies back in DayZ

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Fog Tripper posted:

May be back after a week, month year or whatnot. Game is fun but seems to be filled with the same type of asshats that filled the live servers.

Will be killing pubbies back in DayZ

So basically you like being the wolf, but when it comes to you being the sheep, you don't like it.

Wassbix
May 24, 2006
Thanks guy!

Zotix posted:

So basically you like being the wolf, but when it comes to you being the sheep, you don't like it.

This is basically, why all PvP MMOs with hardcore-ish mechanics die a pretty early death though. Isn't that the reason why live servers failed too? Big clans get sieged lose everything and people just unsub and never come back.

Forgotton
Dec 31, 2010
In as forgotton. drat it has been a long time.

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007
Playing a dwarf xbow is a lot more annoying than playing a mino. You run out of stam all the time, you should carry like 5 yellow pots into every fight. Also, your role is a little more complex. You mostly want to be in ostance hitting the called target. However, you are also supposed to ground fliers, snare people chasing supports and bleed assassins. Also, try to snare the primary target if it starts running.

zeldadude
Nov 24, 2004

OH SNAP!
Oh my god I basically had a heart attack when I saw that the emulator was finally working. Played with goons back in the day, had a blast. Best PvP ever.

Bringing back strong memories about my huntress and mage assassin. Good times that I can now finally relive. Viva la shadowbane!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Delizin
Nov 9, 2005

It may not be interracial, but it is black and white.

zeldadude posted:

Oh my god I basically had a heart attack when I saw that the emulator was finally working. Played with goons back in the day, had a blast. Best PvP ever.

Bringing back strong memories about my huntress and mage assassin. Good times that I can now finally relive. Viva la shadowbane!

Come on irc. We'll help get ya setup when your in game.

• Locked thread