Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I am OK
Mar 9, 2009

LAWL

Suqit posted:

GOM was a punk. He grew up in the 70s listening to the Clash. He played soccer growing up and eventually into college. He went to school in Oklahoma and really didn't like it.

He ended up going to law school. He became a very successful attorney; by suing other attorneys. He lived in Coronado just outside of San Diego for the past ten years or so.

He started following Chelsea, as many American plastics did, when Fox started showing games. After he couldn't really play any more he got into officiating. He started at the high school level and eventually ended up coaching at the collegiate level.

After enjoying success as an attorney he decided to open up his own practice a few years back. I know it was stressful on him but he really loved the challenge of it.

A few years ago he suffered his first heart attack. He was supposed to have died then. But he didn't. He literally posted from the ER which owned.

He loved sailing. He had a group of friends that would sail together and enjoy booze and cigars.

He worked his rear end off to recover from his first heart attack and within a matter months was back on the pitch officiating. He wanted to do a sort of mini your after his first heart attack to spend time with some close friends he had lost touch with or grown slightly apart from over the years. We were supposed to meet up in Austin for a drink. Sadly that never happened.

Unfortunately he had a second heart attack a few years later. Which he also survived. And also posted from the ER. Again. From what I could tell he wasn't working as much after this one. He spent a lot of time cooking and was about to move from Coronado. He was rueful about it. I'm not sure what happened but I'm guessing he probably had another heart attack.

I one asked him if he ever felt any sort of regret or of he felt he sold out; going from a punk loving anti establishment youth to an immensely successful attorney.

His answer was "nope".

He was a really cool guy. He was married and raised a talented and cool step son. He was very proud of both of them. I'm sure they feel the same way about him.

:(

I'm drinking for GOM right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suqit
Apr 25, 2005

Stars Stripes Freedom Jozy
(Jozy not pictured here)
We've had just over $280 in donations to date. Thank you so much for your generosity . I'll be matching that so we are around $560. I've decided I'll match up to $500. Another $220 would be wonderful. A grand would basically pay for two officials to be trained and would be a fitting tribute to a man we respected and enjoyed spending time with.

Lots of little donations would be great. :)

rats off to ya
Jul 22, 2008

Suqit posted:

We've had just over $280 in donations to date. Thank you so much for your generosity . I'll be matching that so we are around $560. I've decided I'll match up to $500. Another $220 would be wonderful. A grand would basically pay for two officials to be trained and would be a fitting tribute to a man we respected and enjoyed spending time with.

Where's the donation info posted? Sad to hear about his passing. Cool guy. Awesome AV. And a fellow California import following the Chels. Will be missed I'm sure by family and friends, including us here in TRP. I'm happy that at least Chelsea were on top and led by the Special One when he passed.

Ho Chi Meeeeee
Jun 13, 2008

let me shovel out your brains
hang my image in your skull
so I can be the vision
in your nightmares from now on

Suqit posted:

Hmm, I have to talk to my partner about donating a substantial sum.

Suqit
Apr 25, 2005

(Jozy not pictured here)

rats off to ya posted:

Where's the donation info posted? Sad to hear about his passing. Cool guy. Awesome AV. And a fellow California import following the Chels. Will be missed I'm sure by family and friends, including us here in TRP. I'm happy that at least Chelsea were on top and led by the Special One when he passed.

Start here and read the next few posts

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3613805&pagenumber=2&perpage=40#post426566831

8raz
Jun 22, 2007

He's Scouse, He's Sound.
Oh wow. Sorry to hear this. :(

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Another cool gom fact is he loved to make jams with too many flavours in it and get brutally trolled haha.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Gom was a monstrous troll and for that I will always remember him.

8raz
Jun 22, 2007

He's Scouse, He's Sound.
He sure held some opinions about Chelsea FC. The football team he supported until the day he died. Any new Chels posters please take note. You have big shoes to fill. RIP

*fires rifle in the air x his age and one for good luck*

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Bape Culture posted:

Another cool gom fact is he loved to make jams with too many flavours in it and get brutally trolled haha.

There were so many unnecessary flavours but he wouldnt be told. Usually at least one per jam or preserve.

Thrifting Day!
Nov 25, 2006

Pissflaps posted:

There were so many unnecessary flavours but he wouldnt be told. Usually at least one per jam or preserve.

it's a shame I can't advise him to make a munchie box jam.

Ponce de Le0n
Jul 6, 2008

Father jailed for beating 3 kids after they wouldn't say who farted in his car
Aw man what the gently caress, like other members of old crew you were rude as hell and didn't give a poo poo plus you were a decent American poster so trp is a little worse now, rip.

Kwagga
Jun 11, 2002

I am small
GOM had a "john terry was here" tramp stamp #GOMfacts

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Man, that's sad.

GOM PM'd me some drat fine restaurant advice when I was visiting San Diego. He seemed dead sound and I wish I hadn't been dragging my family around the whole time I was in SD and we could have had a WC beer.

Angel titties = best titties so at least he's happy

RIP man

GOM posted:

My pub fits the bill on a good breakfast/WC joint.

http://www.shakespearepub.com/index.php

I'd be glad to buy you a beer or two on Sunday during the Brazil Ivory Coast match. I probably won't go to the pub (I love my 50 inch plasma) unless you go, so let me know.

As for fine dining, it is hard to know how much is too much.

However, my wife and I really like the Indigo Grill; mid-20's entrees and the portions are huge.

http://www.cohnrestaurants.com/restaurants/indigogrill/

A visit to the Prado is also highly recommended. A really wonderful place. Entrees are a tad higher and portions are smaller, but it is a great place to have some sangria and a good meal.

http://www.cohnrestaurants.com/restaurants/theprado/

Yeah, I know it's sort of weird that it is a "cohn restaurant" but they have about 12 places, all of which are different, but all are good.

You should also consider Point Loma Seafood, which is more like the dives w00bi gave you, but with drat good seafood. I highly recommend the squid sandwich.

http://www.pointlomaseafoods.com/

Miguel's Cocina in Coronado is also a good choice, although the lines are usually long.

http://www.brigantine.com/locations_miguels.html

If you give me a price range, I'd be able to be more precise.

I've lived here for more than 45 years, so I hope I have a pretty good handle on places to go. However, I'm mostly a central San Diego guy, so I don't have a lot of info on North County or South County.

Lastly, although not in San Diego and, in fact, in Mexico, a classic San Diego experience is lobster in Puerto Nuevo. When I was in High School, lobster in PN was the date night. Getting laid on the beach was a bonus on the lobster...

http://www.puertonuevolobster.com/

Anyway, totally happy to help you in anyway I can, especially buying you a beer.

GOM

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

You have to say I can open my presents
Man this is terrible news. I disagreed with GOM on basically everything and liked him a lot anyway

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Gom took another chels fan to watch the match at a pub and drank four (4) beers in the time it took him to drink their one (1). #gomfacts

vocaloid orgasm
Apr 15, 2011

I keep on singing
Eternal life
VOCALOID
I only turn up in the match day threads but I do regularly read the prem threads. I'm no Chelsea fan but GOM's posts were always insightful. He was a true fan and always spot on with his opinions. All the best to his family and friends. RIP

not not luvd
Nov 17, 2006

My Arse!

greazeball posted:

Man, that's sad.

GOM PM'd me some drat fine restaurant advice when I was visiting San Diego. He seemed dead sound and I wish I hadn't been dragging my family around the whole time I was in SD and we could have had a WC beer.

Angel titties = best titties so at least he's happy

RIP man

Dude absolutely ruled and lived a great life.

Twoiism
Sep 10, 2008

Ever present.
Don't really post here anymore but GOM was always insightful with his opinions and shared my mutual hatred of Salomon Kalou. Very glad he got to see Chelsea finally win the Champions League at least.

RIP pal :(

puchu
Sep 20, 2004

hiya~

Bape Culture posted:

Tell me more about this I don't remember his jams

Thirteenth Step
Mar 3, 2004

Suqit posted:

Where do I donate I can't see the link

I'm retarded

Suqit
Apr 25, 2005

(Jozy not pictured here)

Thirteenth Step posted:

Where do I donate I can't see the link

I'm retarded

Look on page 2.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Pissflaps posted:

He made it his way.

The Finn
Aug 27, 2004

إنه أصلع في الأسفل، كما تعلم

pizzaman5000 posted:

Tell me more about this I don't remember his jams

He sent me a jar of raspberry ginger lime jam along with a box of cool poo poo from Coronado and this Steven Gerrard painting for Secret Santa this year. It all owns, and I devoured the jam so he sent me 8 more jars of a bunch of other ownage flavors. Since I'm the only one who has tasted the jam itf I can say his flavor based decision making was perfect.

Sanskrit Scat
Aug 11, 2007

drat, GOM was a loving saint. He is the official godfather of TRP in my opinion.

Destroy My Sweater
Jul 24, 2009

RIP GOM, that's a real shame.

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

Suqit posted:

GOM was a punk. He grew up in the 70s listening to the Clash. He played soccer growing up and eventually into college. He went to school in Oklahoma and really didn't like it.

He ended up going to law school. He became a very successful attorney; by suing other attorneys. He lived in Coronado just outside of San Diego for the past ten years or so.

He started following Chelsea, as many American plastics did, when Fox started showing games. After he couldn't really play any more he got into officiating. He started at the high school level and eventually ended up coaching at the collegiate level.

After enjoying success as an attorney he decided to open up his own practice a few years back. I know it was stressful on him but he really loved the challenge of it.

A few years ago he suffered his first heart attack. He was supposed to have died then. But he didn't. He literally posted from the ER which owned.

He loved sailing. He had a group of friends that would sail together and enjoy booze and cigars.

He worked his rear end off to recover from his first heart attack and within a matter months was back on the pitch officiating. He wanted to do a sort of mini your after his first heart attack to spend time with some close friends he had lost touch with or grown slightly apart from over the years. We were supposed to meet up in Austin for a drink. Sadly that never happened.

Unfortunately he had a second heart attack a few years later. Which he also survived. And also posted from the ER. Again. From what I could tell he wasn't working as much after this one. He spent a lot of time cooking and was about to move from Coronado. He was rueful about it. I'm not sure what happened but I'm guessing he probably had another heart attack.

I one asked him if he ever felt any sort of regret or of he felt he sold out; going from a punk loving anti establishment youth to an immensely successful attorney.

His answer was "nope".

He was a really cool guy. He was married and raised a talented and cool step son. He was very proud of both of them. I'm sure they feel the same way about him.
Thanks for the brief bio Suqit. RIP GOM.

Mean Bean Machine
May 9, 2008

Only when I breathe.
He was a cool and nice guy, I wish I hadn't ignored and scrolled past all his recipes. Value what you have at the moment even if it's boring rear end cooking posts. This sucks.

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque puņ essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

RIP GOM, you died during international week, which is probably the best time to do so

puchu
Sep 20, 2004

hiya~

Red Star Baldgreg posted:

He sent me a jar of raspberry ginger lime jam along with a box of cool poo poo from Coronado and this Steven Gerrard painting for Secret Santa this year. It all owns, and I devoured the jam so he sent me 8 more jars of a bunch of other ownage flavors. Since I'm the only one who has tasted the jam itf I can say his flavor based decision making was perfect.

You gotta admit that's a lot of flavours I'm a little bit intimidated by that tbqh

puchu
Sep 20, 2004

hiya~
RIP GOM he was a good lad.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
GOM wrote up an extended recipe for me on how to cook the Christmas turkey as it was my first time this year but didn't follow it because it was too late to start brining the thing. Thanks old man I'll do it next year and eat delicious turkey in your honour.

Jayou
Mar 14, 2007

Sparkly Vampires are Wrestlicious!
Well that sucks.

As one of the (no doubt many) lurkers on here it was always interesting reading what he had to say, and came off as a funny and chill guy. Which based on these messages looks like it's true. Hopefully the fundraising pulls in a good number.

RIP GOM. For an Chelsea plastic you were a pretty cool dude.

Thirteenth Step
Mar 3, 2004

Really wanna try some of those GOM jams

Finn post a unboxing/unjarring vid or something

Suqit
Apr 25, 2005

(Jozy not pictured here)
I've gotten a butt load of donations over the past few days along with a lot of really kind words. Y'all are good people.

I'll give an update with totals a little later since I'm finally back at home now.

I think I will set a date of next Tuesday before I send out the lump check. If I get anything after that I'll just send it in as I get it.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Everyone check your lumps. We don't want to lose another one.

Kouerson
Mar 5, 2008

If you die in Canada, you die in real life.
Man I haven't been around here in a bit but GOM was always a great guy. Hope his family is doing all right.

Suqit
Apr 25, 2005

(Jozy not pictured here)
We have reached 32 donations so far from all over the world.

We have also reached a total of $1,672.47 in donations including my match. They are still coming in.

I know we can get to at least $2,000. You are all wonderful people.

There are a few of you that I am unable to match names up to usernames. If you would like to remain anonymous, that is cool with me, but if you would like for your username to be known please shoot me an email.

I am very proud to be a part of a great group of posters, keep them coming!!!

Andre Le Fuckface
Oct 4, 2008

:pwm:

Suqit posted:

We have reached 32 donations so far from all over the world.

We have also reached a total of $1,672.47 in donations including my match. They are still coming in.

I know we can get to at least $2,000. You are all wonderful people.

There are a few of you that I am unable to match names up to usernames. If you would like to remain anonymous, that is cool with me, but if you would like for your username to be known please shoot me an email.

I am very proud to be a part of a great group of posters, keep them coming!!!

For such a small subforum this is great imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thirteenth Step
Mar 3, 2004

i still need to donate as im lazy and forgetful but will do it possibly tonight imo