Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Did she donate as well? You really can get them to do anything...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->
Chris Foy better not see a single cent off of this money

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

Bloody hell, this really is amazing.

MattWPBS
Jun 17, 2004
I am the law, but an easily bribed kind of law.
Just to chime in with everyone else - nice one Suqit.

Suqit
Apr 25, 2005

Stars Stripes Freedom Jozy
(Jozy not pictured here)
Friends,

The check to the NISOA went out today along with a list of the posters who contributed (first name last initial and location).

I also sent a letter to his son with whom I've been in contact with briefly over the past few weeks explaining just how we knew his father and how much he meant to all of us and what we have done in his name. You all did a very good thing with this. It was not my idea to donate to a charity nor did I choose it. I'm sorry I don't remember exactly who's ideas these were but all the kudos to you and every single person who committed the time, effort and resources to make this happen.

This can be a cynical and dark place at times, but it's overwhelmingly touching to know that we can come together when it matters most and do one thing so positive.

Well done y'all.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

Nicely done Suqit, I don't remember what I was doing that I didn't contribute but its an excellent effort made for a cool poster

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Can you post the letter in here suqit or is it too personal?

euroboy
Mar 24, 2004

I'd like to see the letter too.

euroboy fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Mar 20, 2014

Suqit
Apr 25, 2005

(Jozy not pictured here)
GOMs son,

I am (my name). I knew David, who we knew as GOM (for Grumpy Old Man) from a forum that we both frequented. It was a comedy website that had a section for discussing soccer. I'm sure you already know he was a pretty feverish fan of Chelsea Football Club. On this forum, people from literally all over the world would talk about the sport, the players, make fun of each other and each others favorite teams. There was a chat thread where quite a few of us got to know each other as well as you can get to know someone over the internet.

Some of us, including David, have been posting about soccer there for upwards of ten years. Over time, we came to really know and respect him. He was by far one of the oldest members of our community, and I was closest to him in age of the regulars in age at 40 years. We talked about everything. He told us about growing up listening to punk rock and how he eventually became an attorney. I always respected him; his attitude, his manor and demeanor and his humor. He was a really funny guy!

His favorite topics in the chat thread were always you and your mother. Well that and cooking! He bragged on you both. In a strange and distant way we felt a strong connection to him and his family and always enjoyed hearing what was going on in your lives.

One of the topics he posted about most often was officiating. There were a lot of younger people that looked to him for guidance about how to get involved in that part of the game, and he was always overtly helpful in getting them involved.

This is a relatively small community of posters. Hundreds post there, but probably 75 or so have for many years. When we heard of his passing, we were all saddened. It was shocking just how painful it was to lose him. I know our feelings pale in comparison to that of you and your mother, but we can understand just what a great man he was.

Almost immediately after we heard the news, the decision was made to do something in his name. I mentioned earlier that we knew how he felt about officiating, and that he did so on a collegiate level. There is an organization, the National Intercollegiate Soccer Officials Association that helps to train people to become referees for college soccer. We thought it would be an appropriate way to express our gratitude for all he has done for us over the years.

This forum has an edge to it, there is often trolling and bickering, but when the news spread of his passing, there was an absolutely overwhelming surge of support. People from all walks of life and all over the world shared their stories of what a great person he was. We started a small fundraiser to donate to the NISOA foundation in his name.

I am so proud to tell you that 82 complete strangers from all over the world banded together to raise $3,344.75 dollars in his name to be donated to train other people to officiate. There was a thread dedicated to remembering him and people sincerely were touched by his presence. So much so that they took the time and effort to donate money. Many of these men and women are younger; students or just getting into their careers, but almost to a person, everyone of them apologized for not being able to send more money, because David meant something visceral to them.

The check will go out tomorrow with a list of the people that donated, along with where they donated from. I will include that list with this email.

In addition to the donation to the NISOA fund, we are putting a small obituary in the program that is handed out at Chelsea games. We have people that are from London and attend games regularly that will get a copy of this for you and your family once it comes out.

I know they aren't major things, but I hope I am doing a proper job of conveying just how much he touched so many people from all over the world. We all miss him dearly, and daily.

Later I will compile a sampling of the kinds words so many people had to say about him for you and your family.

I am so very sorry for the great loss you and your family have suffered, and we want you all to know that we will all cherish his memory. Hopefully the funds we have raised can train 6 or 7 more officials to carry the torch he proudly passed on.

If you could please share this with your mother and anyone else you feel appropriate I would greatly appreciate it.

If there is every anything I or anyone of us can do for you, please don't hesitate to ever ask.

Sincerely,

My name

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Suqit posted:

GOM (for Grumpy Old Man)

Well fancy that.

not not luvd
Nov 17, 2006

My Arse!
Fantastic Suqit, you've been brilliant.

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

That's a lovely letter Suqit.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Who knew a Texan could be so eloquent? ;)

euroboy
Mar 24, 2004

That's brilliant.

PreMoo
Sep 23, 2010
Great work. :unsmith:

ozmunkeh
Feb 28, 2008

hey guys what is happening in this thread
Well done.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
Thank you very much Suqit. I am especially touched you included him in the program.

KTBFFH GOM

Suqit
Apr 25, 2005

(Jozy not pictured here)

hadji murad posted:

Thank you very much Suqit. I am especially touched you included him in the program.

KTBFFH GOM

The program is something we are still working on. That was Shark-Bitch5000's idea, and Finn/Greg is handling that one. The information has been sent to the club, we are just awaiting a response.

mackintosh
Aug 18, 2007

Semper Fidelis Poloniae
Touching letter, thanks so much for coordinating and doing this.

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL
Thx Suqit you jerkbag for making me cry at work :argh:

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

That's a fantastic letter, great job Suqit.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

this is amazing

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->
Wow. That letter made me feel... real unadulterated feelings.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

Good work Suqit.

Hegay
Jun 29, 2012

That's a very nice and touching letter Suqit :)

generally I prefer
Apr 17, 2006

Well done, Suqit, that's a lovely letter. Kudos to Finn and Shark-bitch for the Chelsea program thing as well, that's a great touch.

Machinegunboyo
Apr 26, 2010

life is good
Great letter Suqit. I regret not being able to send money but I have none to spare currently. Great work everybody.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire
Good job you fat headed texas idiot

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire
Sorry, it was getting too emotional in here.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
That's a great letter Suqit, well done.

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

You're a good man Suqit.

crappledan
Dec 17, 2009

Serious Title Contenders
That letter made me feel things, well done Suqit. GOM would be proud.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Gigi Galli posted:

puchu
Sep 20, 2004

hiya~
Thanks Suqit aka Team Barry

good luck kitten
Aug 18, 2004

Tripping the light fantastic
RIP GOM, one of the most genuine guys on here. You will be missed.

Thanks Suqit for letting me know.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'
That's a touching letter Suqit.

Rip gom.

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY
Good stuff, sorry I didn't look here again and donate. How did you guys find out of his passing?

Thirteenth Step
Mar 3, 2004

T Fowl posted:

Good stuff, sorry I didn't look here again and donate. How did you guys find out of his passing?

Kwagga had him on facebook

PWM page 3851 iirc

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY

Thirteenth Step posted:

Kwagga had him on facebook

PWM page 3851 iirc

Ah alright thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MattWPBS
Jun 17, 2004
I am the law, but an easily bribed kind of law.

Gigi Galli posted: