Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thirteenth Step
Mar 3, 2004

RIP GOM

I hope Drogba scores a hat-trick on the 18th but Chelsea still win 4-3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thirteenth Step
Mar 3, 2004

Suqit posted:

GOM was a punk. He grew up in the 70s listening to the Clash. He played soccer growing up and eventually into college. He went to school in Oklahoma and really didn't like it.

He ended up going to law school. He became a very successful attorney; by suing other attorneys. He lived in Coronado just outside of San Diego for the past ten years or so.

He started following Chelsea, as many American plastics did, when Fox started showing games. After he couldn't really play any more he got into officiating. He started at the high school level and eventually ended up coaching at the collegiate level.

After enjoying success as an attorney he decided to open up his own practice a few years back. I know it was stressful on him but he really loved the challenge of it.

A few years ago he suffered his first heart attack. He was supposed to have died then. But he didn't. He literally posted from the ER which owned.

He loved sailing. He had a group of friends that would sail together and enjoy booze and cigars.

He worked his rear end off to recover from his first heart attack and within a matter months was back on the pitch officiating. He wanted to do a sort of mini your after his first heart attack to spend time with some close friends he had lost touch with or grown slightly apart from over the years. We were supposed to meet up in Austin for a drink. Sadly that never happened.

Unfortunately he had a second heart attack a few years later. Which he also survived. And also posted from the ER. Again. From what I could tell he wasn't working as much after this one. He spent a lot of time cooking and was about to move from Coronado. He was rueful about it. I'm not sure what happened but I'm guessing he probably had another heart attack.

I one asked him if he ever felt any sort of regret or of he felt he sold out; going from a punk loving anti establishment youth to an immensely successful attorney.

His answer was "nope".

He was a really cool guy. He was married and raised a talented and cool step son. He was very proud of both of them. I'm sure they feel the same way about him.

Thirteenth Step
Mar 3, 2004

Suqit posted:

We've had just over $280 in donations to date. Thank you so much for your generosity . I'll be matching that so we are around $560. I've decided I'll match up to $500. Another $220 would be wonderful. A grand would basically pay for two officials to be trained and would be a fitting tribute to a man we respected and enjoyed spending time with.

Lots of little donations would be great. :)

Where do I donate I can't see the link

I'm retarded

Thirteenth Step
Mar 3, 2004

Really wanna try some of those GOM jams

Finn post a unboxing/unjarring vid or something

Thirteenth Step
Mar 3, 2004

i still need to donate as im lazy and forgetful but will do it possibly tonight imo

Thirteenth Step
Mar 3, 2004

I put my username in my paypal message thing when I sent money did it work!?

Thirteenth Step
Mar 3, 2004

$6969? That'd be some win.

Didn't realise we had so many Welsh in TRP so that's interesting.

Great total though, that's like an average of $50 a person pretty much.

Thirteenth Step
Mar 3, 2004

I really want to taste that jam

Thirteenth Step
Mar 3, 2004

Butterfly Valley posted:

Just gonna leave this here

my mouths watering gently caress

Thirteenth Step
Mar 3, 2004

chuggo is BACK posted:

7 more donations then stop

agreed

Thirteenth Step
Mar 3, 2004

$3003 from 69 donaitions would be nice imo

would involve quite a large donation from 2 people though :(

Thirteenth Step
Mar 3, 2004

nice, nice.

Thirteenth Step
Mar 3, 2004

holy poo poo

Thirteenth Step
Mar 3, 2004

T Fowl posted:

Good stuff, sorry I didn't look here again and donate. How did you guys find out of his passing?

Kwagga had him on facebook

PWM page 3851 iirc

Thirteenth Step
Mar 3, 2004

Suqit posted:

I received this email today

Dear J,

Thank you so much for getting in touch with my son and me. We so appreciate hearing from you. It has been incredibly sad for us to lose David so suddenly. I am overwhelmed by the response of so many people on the Web site. I am glad to know that David had been able to influence and help so many young soccer enthusiasts. We are really happy and we know that David would be really happy to see that donations were made in his name to a cause that he felt so passionate about. If you are able to send us a copy of the Chelsea pamphlet with David's obituary, we would be happy to have it. Thanks, again, for letting us know about this community that David was such a part of. We are really touched by such an overwhelming response to his passing.

Kind regards,

GOM's wife and son

:)

Edit: any word from the Chels?

Thirteenth Step
Mar 3, 2004

serious gaylord posted:

I hope they dont find this forum and realise what we really are.

idgi

Thirteenth Step
Mar 3, 2004

Suqit posted:

I was going through my mail this morning and found this:

If any of you missed the first time around, feel free to either send something directly to NISOA or you can paypal me if you are out of country and I can write the check.

I have also shared this with David's family.

Niiiice

Thirteenth Step
Mar 3, 2004

Suqit posted:

With the two most recent donations, we have reached a total of

Three thousand 420 dollars and ten cents.

Somebody donate 59 cents

Thirteenth Step
Mar 3, 2004

:getin:

Thirteenth Step
Mar 3, 2004

Suqit posted:

lol

We are now officially at Three thousand 420.69 dollars

Fantastic.

Yesss

Adbot