Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sax Offender
Sep 9, 2007

College Slice

FIDEL CASHFLOW posted:

but what if its the russians who set off a nuke in manhattan?!

Why would the president worry about the second - largest nuclear power that has invaded two neighbors and has beaten our touted intelligence community at its own game repeatedly? Didn't you know that GWB just screwed everything up by responding to Russia's invasion of Georgia with increased European defense buildup, and BO reset it all so Putin will totally respect like the retards at ESPN who can't stop masturbating to his NCAA bracket? (LL Cool J is doing better, fyi.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sax Offender
Sep 9, 2007

College Slice
^^^^You're right. Sorry.

iyaayas01 posted:

Other than GMD (which was loving stupid) that wasn't really a thing.

Also I fail to see how "building up more US forces in Europe while the Euros continue to stand by and do nothing cut their militaries even further" is really a net positive for the US.

I agree that EU nations need to get off their asses and provide their own defense. (Cue Euro goon swooping in to quote some random GDP percentage and pretend it translates to any sort of real capability.)

We could adopt a more isolationist philosophy--maybe just lean back on the Monroe Doctrine and only get hawkish when things are brewing in the Western Hemisphere. Pull all troops home a la Ron Paul and let the world stand or burn so long as it doesn't threaten us. Putting aside the realities of business, trade, and defense influence on politics, focusing on regional hegemony is one internally - consistent approach.

But we remain in NATO, and every war in the last century with the exception of Afghanistan and- depending on your interpretation of geopolitics prior to Pearl Harbor-WWII, had nothing to do with attacks on US soil. They primarily involved playing in Europe and/or Asia as part of another regions' major war. And the worst way to play the global hegemony game is with hollow threats. That just invites autocrats to swing their dicks and consolidate power internally and/or find a little lebensraum next door, betting rightly that you will blink first. In this scenario, your diplomacy generally becomes impotent as well. It's better to just keep quiet and look the other way than to bluster and threaten with no intention of following through.

Look, I'm not advocating Team America: World Police. But if we're going to be entangled in European and Asian affairs, si vis pacem para bellum. Otherwise, let's STFU and go home (which would be fine by me.)

tl; dr: either eliminate our commitments to get involved in foreign wars or make them a really unappealing option to our enemies

We should build a network of satellite - borne grover lasers that can glass a continent or just fry a dictator's gonads.

Sax Offender fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Mar 26, 2014

Sax Offender
Sep 9, 2007

College Slice

Snowdens Secret posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rthHSISkM7A

I love this flick it's pretty much groverlaser: the movie

Val Kilmer's magnum opus. I unironically loved this movie growing up. William Atherton was awesome at playing total dicks in every movie. (He was the reporter in Die Hard and the DA in Ghostbusters for those who can't place the name.)

Sax Offender
Sep 9, 2007

College Slice

krispykremessuck posted:

well they are cockroaches

• Locked thread