Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mappo
Apr 27, 2009

Marx Headroom posted:

Can anyone point me towards resources on sub/dom stuff (safety, establishing boundaries, what's out there etc) that aren't weird and regressive?

FetLife's only redeeming quality is that it makes finding your local groups and events relatively easy. You can just type in your city under the events tab and search from there.

If you are looking for sub/dom relationship resources, I would check to see if you have a local M.A.s.T. chapter at https://www.mast.net/chapters.php. Even if you are not looking for a 24/7 D/s relationship, these would be the people who could point you in the right direction of what you want.

I also have a lot of non-fiction book recommendations on the subject of D/s relationships if anyone is curious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mappo
Apr 27, 2009

eSporks posted:

I'm very curious about poly relationships and I'm wondering if anyone could point to some good books. I'm particularly interested in books that go into advice on handling the emotional aspect and boundaries in the relationship. I'd like to have a bit of a roadmap and some tools before understanding if its right for me.

On top of the other recommendations, you might want to try The Polyamory Toolkit: A Guidebook for Polyamorous Relationships by Dan and Dawn Williams.

Mappo
Apr 27, 2009

StrixNebulosa posted:

I think if I could delete any US law I'd start by deleting FESTA/SOSTA. There are others, but like... I wish there was a safe, legal way for people to get together and make money selling pictures of their feet. Or whatever they want to sell.

Just a reminder that the Woodhull Foundation is currently fighting FESTA/SOSTA in court. They do a lot of work to advocate for sexual freedom and sex workers. https://www.woodhullfoundation.org/

Mappo
Apr 27, 2009
If anyone is in the LA area. The Geffen Contemporary at MOCA will have a month-long residency called KINK OUT: Ephemera. This will include roughly half of the Carter/Johnson Library as an exhibit. The Carter/Johnson Library is a collection of BDSM/Leather history, books and art. This includes a number of rare books, photos and art going back to the 1700s. On September 9th, Viola Johnson the founder and head librarian will be there and on September 30th with her wife Jill Carter. Vi Johnson and Jill Carter are icons in the Leather community, this is a once-in-a-lifetime chance to hear and meet them.

I highly recommend visiting the Carter Johnson Library if you have the ability. As someone who is openly kinky and leather, I'm constantly told that I am sick, wrong, I should be ashamed and I am unworthy of God's love. Being in the Library is a reminder that I am not alone, I have history, culture and most importantly family.

Mappo
Apr 27, 2009
I'm not a fan of Erica's work either. However, Erica has been open that they suffer from immense mental illness to the point that they are seeking outpatient therapy. So I feel it's best to give them a wide breadth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mappo
Apr 27, 2009

more falafel please posted:

You mention Fetlife and BDSM -- have you tried going to events in your local kink scene? Fetlife's not a dating site, correct, but it is the de facto repository of all the events you can go to to meet people you might want to date. Keep in mind that munches, classes, etc are also not meat markets, they're meetups.

Otherwise I think it's totally fair to put on a dating profile that you're into x/y/z, it's important to you, and that being open to explore those things is a must for anything serious.

I'd also recommend checking our your local kink scene. Instead of trying to find someone through a dating app, your in a more sex positive social group that should be more tolerant towards your desires of "Anal and BDSM." Kink has to be negotiated and part of that negotiating is expressing what you want. Again, you have to treat it like a social group and not a meat market, but you can find causal or long term sexual partners.

There are also national BDSM conferences and events that will have whiteboards for you to put up "I'm looking for anal and enthusiastic blowjobs" and you can find people who are into that.