Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Carl Froch is the motherfucking man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries

LT.CrownRoast posted:

Stopped?! Come the gently caress on

Uh, Groves was flat out dude, he's still wobbling

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
Groves is on silly street a minute after it landed. Holy poo poo

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

gently caress yes. That was beautiful. Great fight.

Interested in how you guys were seeing that for Groves. He was being bossed around and stung every time he was coming in until the last two. That was a masterclass by an old head for me.

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 22:42 on May 31, 2014

LT.CrownRoast
Mar 20, 2009

by XyloJW
pff he didn't even get a count

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Wow what a loving great finish! Bring on Froch-Chavez Jr imo.

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

was a lucky shot mind you

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries

thehappyprince posted:

Bullshit

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
But we're still the best dressed

The Ninth Layer posted:

Wow what a loving great finish! Bring on Froch-Chavez Jr imo.

Honestly I don't think Froch is ever leaving the UK again so this probably won't happen

Thirteenth Step
Mar 3, 2004

LT.CrownRoast posted:

Stopped?! Come the gently caress on

He was hosed... it took him 2 minutes to even stand up properly.

Very clever by Froch, great punch.

Tortuga
Aug 27, 2011

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
more like Faint George

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Fiery the angels fell. Deep thunder rolled around their shoulders... burning with the fires of Orc.
What a hit.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Gotta admit I was surprised Groves managed to get up and protest (while stumbling around not knowing where he was) that quickly, I thought he was flat out not getting up for a few minutes when he went down.

Lionel Richie
Nov 14, 2004

The SituAsian posted:

Honestly I don't think Froch is ever leaving the UK again so this probably won't happen

He's got a decent payday with DeGale next, although that's going to be an ugly, close fight

Thirteenth Step
Mar 3, 2004

thehappyprince posted:

No way.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
But we're still the best dressed

Lionel Richie posted:

He's got a decent payday with DeGale next, although that's going to be an ugly, close fight

Exactly. Then maybe a Kessler rematch and he'll be 37-38 by then. Ward, Chavez and Golovkin are big enough that they can tell Froch to gently caress off if he makes them go to England.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

That was a sweet ending. Nice set up by Froch.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Thirteenth Step posted:

He was hosed... it took him 2 minutes to even stand up properly.

Very clever by Froch, great punch.

I mean the punch was at least half the reason why he wasn't able to properly stand quickly, but how his leg was bent on the landing was probably also a factor.

Still grimacing at that. Good fight though.

Lionel Richie
Nov 14, 2004

I'd be interested to know the scorecards

Pooned
Dec 28, 2005

Eye contact counters everything
Good fight.

Thirteenth Step
Mar 3, 2004

Sweeney Tom posted:

I mean the punch was at least half the reason why he wasn't able to properly stand quickly, but how his leg was bent on the landing was probably also a factor.

Still grimacing at that. Good fight though.

yeah I noticed that just now. Can't have been good for the knee.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Lionel Richie posted:

I'd be interested to know the scorecards

Yeah I would too, I think I had it split down the middle, first four for Groves and the rest for Froch.

Is there any reason at all to believe Algeiri has a shot against Provodnikov? Don't think I've ever seen him before.

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Fiery the angels fell. Deep thunder rolled around their shoulders... burning with the fires of Orc.
I had Froch 3 rounds ahead but they were fairly close rounds all the way through.

I'm just glad it didn't go toe scorecards - judges would've called draw to milk this poo poo forever.

Lionel Richie
Nov 14, 2004

The SituAsian posted:

Exactly. Then maybe a Kessler rematch and he'll be 37-38 by then. Ward, Chavez and Golovkin are big enough that they can tell Froch to gently caress off if he makes them go to England.

I don't think he would with Chavez. He'd be the lower earner but he may as well take it, he'd win and retire. DeGale wouldn't make as much and would be much harder work.

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

It's not official but I'm telling you and millions of viewers she said yes.

She totally said no.

gtkor
Feb 21, 2011

There is no real reason for him to turn down anyone but ggg or ward in the uk at this point. I think ggg would travel, its not lke he is too big for the opportunity.

Lionel Richie
Nov 14, 2004

He says he wants to fight in Vegas, in a perfect world HBO will tell him he can, against GGG.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Froch-Chavez would be an absolute firefight and I have no idea what would happen in it. A lot of people think that Froch would just outrange and snipe out Chavez but I'm not convinced. Froch isn't as slick or evasive as a guy like Sergio Martinez, and nobody (including Martinez) has ever put a serious dent in Chavez' chin. If Froch wants a Vegas fight then this is the fight to make, it would be a huge event on the level of Cotto-Martinez.

If it's GGG or Ward then the fight should almost certainly be in England. Ward doesn't draw on his own and there'd be nowhere in the States where a Ward-Froch fight would be bigger than a UK event. GGG may be a big draw in a year or two if he can nab a Chavez or Martinez fight and win, and I'm sure a GGG-Froch fight would sell wherever it was held, but again Golovkin probably stands to make more money if he fights Froch overseas.

New Found Power
Aug 18, 2005

As in atom bomb... As in nuclear fission.. As in the end of the world.
Is there even any hint that GGG has a hankering to move up to Super Middleweight? I'm not sure where this is coming from.

Froch - Chavez in Vegas would be a war and a half, especially if the Brit crowd makes the journey across for that.

gtkor
Feb 21, 2011

Lionel Richie posted:

He says he wants to fight in Vegas, in a perfect world HBO will tell him he can, against GGG.

I think a chavez fight first, simply because there are no more fights for him after GGG.

Lionel Richie
Nov 14, 2004

New Found Power posted:

Is there even any hint that GGG has a hankering to move up to Super Middleweight? I'm not sure where this is coming from.

No it's just that literally no one wants to fight him so we've got to get imaginative

Gregor Samsa
Sep 5, 2007
Nietzsche's Mustache

Lionel Richie posted:

No it's just that literally no one wants to fight him so we've got to get imaginative

He's not a very big 160 and has said before he could make 154. Which I'm sure everybody at 154 would be thrilled about.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
24/7 highlighting Cotto's package.

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich

New Found Power posted:

Well, a GGG-Chavez fight was supposedly in the works for a while, and it was Chavez who torpedoed it, not GGG, so it seems reasonable to expect he'd be open to other big money winnable fights eight pounds up.

New Found Power
Aug 18, 2005

You know, thinking about it I'd like to see Groves vs. Ward at some point. Much more than a Froch rematch for either of them, at any rate.

gtkor
Feb 21, 2011

His power looks like he could carry upwards as well, which at least gives him some more options. I think GGG would probably take any money fight from 154 to 168.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

New Found Power posted:

Froch - Chavez in Vegas would be a war and a half, especially if the Brit crowd makes the journey across for that.

I think there are bigger names at 168 right now than 168. Chavez, Froch, and Ward are all big names for him and they seem more willing for a GGG fight than anybody at middleweight. Golovkin against the winner of Martinez and Cotto is still the fight to make, but outside of that match I feel most of the exciting opponents for Golovkin are at 168.

Lionel Richie
Nov 14, 2004

I've got a suspicion if Golovkin does go to 168 it'll be against Ward. Two fighters with no one to fight.

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Lionel Richie posted:

I've got a suspicion if Golovkin does go to 168 it'll be against Ward. Two fighters with no one to fight.

That's definitely the least lucrative fight and the one that HBO would hate the most, given how they've been hyping GGG. I mean, I guess if he wins he's a golden god, but I don't think anybody looks good losing to Andre Ward.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

New Found Power
Aug 18, 2005

Lionel Richie posted:

If this means that Ward gets crushed and then goes away forever than I'm all for it.

Wasn't Ward on his way up to Light-Heavy though?

• Locked thread