Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JayMax
Jun 14, 2007

Hard-nosed gentleman
I'll do Montréal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gin Soaked Ape
May 4, 2004

DOOP posted:

I'll probably post some rough edits of last year's Union post tomorrow if no one beats me to it. This week sucked

i dont know if he wants to do it still but lamont cranston said he'd do one

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

There, now I can tell when you're posting.

-- A friend :)

That's going to make the Sounders' normal 0-3 away leg so much more devastating to them.

Lamont Cranston
Sep 1, 2006

how do i shot foam

Gin Soaked Ape posted:

i dont know if he wants to do it still but lamont cranston said he'd do one

Nah go nuts DOOP mine wouldn't be near as detailed and would probably be composed primarily of swear words

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

Please don't hate on my weakly placed optimism

Gin Soaked Ape
May 4, 2004

Lamont Cranston posted:

Nah go nuts DOOP mine wouldn't be near as detailed and would probably be composed primarily of swear words

make sure to find an old picture of hackworth where he has a weird haircut

edit: try to only use old pictures of people where they have weird haircuts

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

Captain Trips posted:

I love his nickname, now we've got a Pipa and a Pipo.

He is seriously great and his presence can make shitlords like Michael Umaña and Roy Miller look good. Take good care of him because we really really need him for the World Cup.

What do you think of Arrieta? I personally think he sucks rear end but haven't really seen him at the club level recently.

Lamont Cranston
Sep 1, 2006

how do i shot foam

Gin Soaked Ape posted:

make sure to find an old picture of hackworth where he has a weird haircut

edit: try to only use old pictures of people where they have weird haircuts

Start with this one

Captain Trips
May 23, 2013
The sudden reminder that I have no fucking clue what I'm talking about

Drogadon posted:

What do you think of Arrieta? I personally think he sucks rear end but haven't really seen him at the club level recently.

When he's not offside, he's great. The problem is he's never not offside.

Gin Soaked Ape
May 4, 2004

Lamont Cranston posted:

Start with this one

ShutteredIn
Mar 24, 2005

El Campeon Mundial del Acordeon

RocketLunatic posted:

Just got word that a huge "free agent" is available to a team hungry to score goals eat bbq.

http://www.bigdsoccer.com/2014/3/7/5482674/fc-dallas-and-eric-hassli-mutually-agree-to-part-ways

RIP Eric Hassli too fat even for Texas.

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

Team Name
Sporting Kansas City

Year Founded

Manager
Peter Vermes

Uniform

Stadium
Sporting Park, Kansas City, KS

It’s pretty much the best stadium in America. Conveniently located across from a Nebraska Furniture Mart.

Significant Achievements
MLS Cup Champions – 2000, 2013
Supporters’ Shield – 2000
US Open Cup – 2004, 2012

Historical Rivalries
Basically none. We’re too far away from everyone else. We’ve had a few ugly run-ins with Houston, so they’re probably the closest thing to a rival we have.

Chicago fans regard us as rivals, but they’re a small-time club and are thus below our recognition.

Supporter's Groups
Just one. The Cauldron. So named because we used to be the Wizards. Wizards have cauldrons.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GGr0CjwQvKU
gently caress off, Timbers Army. It's better when it's accidental.

Notable Former Players
Eddie Johnson.

Notable Current Players
Graham Zusi, Matt Besler, and Benny Feilhaber are US national team players of varying degrees of importance. We also have Barcelona product Oriol Rosell and fashion designer strongman defender Aurelien Collin, whom everyone claims is a dirty player because they can’t handle getting owned by him so consistently.

Playing style
The acquisition of Rosell was supposed to begin the transformation from “run fast, shoot a bunch” to Barca-style tiki-taka. This never occurred.

Thoughts on the Current Roster
We made literally no acquisitions except for replacing retiring goalkeeper Jimmy Nielsen with Andy “The Hebrew Hammer” Greunebaum.

Thoughts on the Previous Season
We won the goddamn cup. It wasn’t a pretty season, and if you have archives, you can read my preview from last season to see how pessimistic I was about it. But we showed grit, we finally beat Houston in the playoffs, and we, I think deservedly, won our second MLS Cup. Neat.

Thoughts on the Upcoming Season
The team hasn’t changed at all. These guys are champions now, so they’ll be playing with confidence, I don’t know if we can repeat the Cup win. A lot of teams around the top of the East have strengthened (or seem to have done so), so it’s very difficult to determine how we’ll stack up. I’m afraid that we’ll struggle at the goalkeeping position, since Vermes has been sticking with longterm backup Eric Kronberg, who is very good at Twitter but very bad at preventing goals (@Ekronberg).

Compare your team to a Kyle Beckerman's Bare Thrusting rear end
Approximately the same color.

SA Forums representatives
Nostradingus, formerly known as bonesquid
Waffles, Inc., formerly known as Directorman
Ho Chi Meeee, formerly known as oh em gee

Nostradingus fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Mar 8, 2014

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and predict that Red Bull New York makes the playoffs and then loses in the first round. I'm very excited that soccer is back again.

Hello Towel
Aug 9, 2010

Nostradingus posted:

Chicago fans regard us as rivals, but they’re a small-time club and are thus below our recognition.

Funny, cause it was always you guys who played up the "rivalry" when we couldn't care less.

NattyBo
Sep 20, 2004

Football Team.
Just thought you guys should know that DC United will win a match of Association Football, today.

Hungryjack
May 9, 2003

NattyBo posted:

Just thought you guys should know that DC United will win a match of Association Football, today.

Been a while since I saw this.

EDIT: Today is the day I will go to Chipotle and order two burritos and pay for one.

Hungryjack fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Mar 8, 2014

Riven
Apr 22, 2002
I feel nowhere near qualified to do a Rapids write up, but whoever does put me in the list at the end. Full season tickets this year!

Hungryjack
May 9, 2003

Riven posted:

I feel nowhere near qualified to do a Rapids write up, but whoever does put me in the list at the end. Full season tickets this year!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Qd79aVpsaI

Hello Towel
Aug 9, 2010

Guys, I just remembered something very important.

Wells Thompson is no longer on the team I support.

It is a good day.

UZworm
Feb 9, 2009

Young wild Elsweyrian
C'mon baby, do you have a soul gem

Riven posted:

That's usually my gig, and I will fulfill it after Pablo gets officially named head coach at the meeting later today :v:

Hello Towel posted:

Guys, I just remembered something very important.

Wells Thompson is no longer on the team I support.

It is a good day.

Welcome to the 'Wells Thompson no longer on your club' team. Feels good, man.

Ho Chi Meeeeee
Jun 13, 2008

let me shovel out your brains
hang my image in your skull
so I can be the vision
in your nightmares from now on

Nostradingus posted:

Team Name
Sporting Kansas City

Year Founded

Manager
Peter Vermes

Uniform

Stadium
Sporting Park, Kansas City, KS

It’s pretty much the best stadium in America. Conveniently located across from a Nebraska Furniture Mart.

Significant Achievements
MLS Cup Champions – 2000, 2013
Supporters’ Shield – 2000
US Open Cup – 2004, 2012

Historical Rivalries
Basically none. We’re too far away from everyone else. We’ve had a few ugly run-ins with Houston, so they’re probably the closest thing to a rival we have.

Supporter's Groups
Just one. The Cauldron. So named because we used to be the Wizards. Wizards have cauldrons.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GGr0CjwQvKU
gently caress off, Timbers Army. It's better when it's accidental.

Notable Former Players
Eddie Johnson.

Notable Current Players
Graham Zusi, Matt Besler, and Benny Feilhaber are US national team players of varying degrees of importance. We also have Barcelona product Oriol Rosell and fashion designer strongman defender Aurelien Collin, whom everyone claims is a dirty player because they can’t handle getting owned by him so consistently.

Playing style
The acquisition of Rosell was supposed to begin the transformation from “run fast, shoot a bunch” to Barca-style tiki-taka. This never occurred.

Thoughts on the Current Roster
We made literally no acquisitions except for replacing retiring goalkeeper Jimmy Nielsen with Andy “The Hebrew Hammer” Greunebaum.

Thoughts on the Previous Season
We won the goddamn cup. It wasn’t a pretty season, and if you have archives, you can read my preview from last season to see how pessimistic I was about it. But we showed grit, we finally beat Houston in the playoffs, and we, I think deservedly, won our second MLS Cup. Neat.

Thoughts on the Upcoming Season
The team hasn’t changed at all. These guys are champions now, so they’ll be playing with confidence, I don’t know if we can repeat the Cup win. A lot of teams around the top of the East have strengthened (or seem to have done so), so it’s very difficult to determine how we’ll stack up. I’m afraid that we’ll struggle at the goalkeeping position, since Vermes has been sticking with longterm backup Eric Kronberg, who is very good at Twitter but very bad at preventing goals (@Ekronberg).

Compare your team to a Kyle Beckerman's Bare Thrusting rear end
Approximately the same color.

SA Forums representatives
Nostradingus, formerly known as bonesquid
Waffles, Inc., formerly known as Directorman

Interesting, I didn't know Sporting KC won the MLS cup last year. I look forward to being a Sporting KC plastic.

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

Ho Chi Meeeeee posted:

Interesting, I didn't know Sporting KC won the MLS cup last year. I look forward to being a Sporting KC plastic.

I'll edit you into my list of supporters. You made the big time. You used to be oh em gee right?

Ho Chi Meeeeee
Jun 13, 2008

so I can be the vision

Nostradingus posted:

I'll edit you into my list of supporters. You made the big time. You used to be oh em gee right?

Yes.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Nice write-up Nostradingus!

I'm still bitter and stupid and dumb about the name change because we now have easily the second worst name in the league behind Real.

Pretty annoying we didn't do a whole lot to strengthen the squad; I'dve liked some squad-player pickups because I'd rather like us to do a run in the Champions League.

And definitely no doubt that we have the best stadium in the league. We've come a long way since this

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

Waffles Inc. posted:

Nice write-up Nostradingus!

I'm still bitter and stupid and dumb about the name change because we now have easily the second worst name in the league behind Real.

Pretty annoying we didn't do a whole lot to strengthen the squad; I'dve liked some squad-player pickups because I'd rather like us to do a run in the Champions League.

And definitely no doubt that we have the best stadium in the league. We've come a long way since this

I don't know, maybe one day you guys'll get a basketball team and your name will be appropriate?

Moktaro
Aug 3, 2007
I value call my nuts.

Riven posted:

Heh, this was me a couple years ago, enjoy!

(I WILL get to a game this year, dammit.)

Moktaro
Aug 3, 2007
I value call my nuts.

Wildlife Analysis posted:

I don't know, maybe one day you guys'll get a basketball team and your name will be appropriate?

Maybe you could get the Kings back. :v:

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

It's funny you mention that, because part of the whole pitch to fans around the name change was indeed to eventually bring other sports under the Sporting name

Ho Chi Meeeeee
Jun 13, 2008

so I can be the vision
I'd be cool with KC getting the kings back if it meant that they'd come to Omaha like every fourth home game which apparently they used to do.

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747
The District is sunny and warm today. A gentle breeze blows by the river. The season is here and I am about to get utterly loving hype. Come to Lot 8 by the Anacostia if you want to have a good time. Another reason to come to the stadium is if you want to hang out with friends.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Ho Chi Meeeeee posted:

I'd be cool with KC getting the kings back if it meant that they'd come to Omaha like every fourth home game which apparently they used to do.

Back when I lived in Omaha I did a lot of business with the Civic, and they had a poo poo ton of Kings stuff in storage still like banners balls and whatnot--it was pretty cool

Moktaro
Aug 3, 2007
I value call my nuts.

Also I am sad that there is no Rapids game today for me to get hyped over.

Though perhaps that's for the best, I can save it for next weekend after cranking out another speech for public speaking class.

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

I kind of want it

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

Waffles Inc. posted:

It's funny you mention that, because part of the whole pitch to fans around the name change was indeed to eventually bring other sports under the Sporting name

haha, I'm wondering what kind of sports they were thinking of

Moktaro
Aug 3, 2007
I value call my nuts.

haha, I'm wondering what kind of sports they were thinking of

NASCAR! :haw:

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Bender: "I was God once." God: "Yes, I saw. You were doing well until everyone died."

Listen up smart guys. League starts in an hour. So does the Fantasy League. This is the last chance to get in on Week 1.

Deets:
http://fantasy.mlssoccer.com
League Name: SA Goon League
League Code: 2483-427

:siren: Winner of Goon Cup 2014 will now win a wonderful LA Galaxy scarf! Wear it with pride, disrespect the colors, or burn it in effigy! You decide! :siren:
:siren: Last Place in Goon League 2014 will now win an authentic wooden spoon! :siren:

:siren: All scarf donations to the Grand Prize are appreciated. Let's drown this guy/girl in scarves of other teams so their friends will disown them for the plastic they are. :siren:

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

B.B. Rodriguez posted:

Listen up smart guys. League starts in an hour. So does the Fantasy League. This is the last chance to get in on Week 1.

Deets:

:siren: Winner of Goon Cup 2014 will now win a wonderful LA Galaxy scarf! Wear it with pride, disrespect the colors, or burn it in effigy! You decide! :siren:
:siren: Last Place in Goon League 2014 will now win an authentic wooden spoon! :siren:

:siren: All scarf donations to the Grand Prize are appreciated. Let's drown this guy/girl in scarves of other teams so their friends will disown them for the plastic they are. :siren:

In as Coffee FC

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

I'm in too and I have no idea what I'm doing

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

B.B. Rodriguez posted:

Deets:

Who is ready for some Allocation Money FC

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scourgeofthe7bees
Jun 21, 2008

I'm in the goon league as Bortland Benderbutts, and like double silk, I don't know what I'm doing at all.

• Locked thread