Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

What if Hitler invented the BMW i3 Subcompact Electric car?

CNN posted:

A passenger flight carrying 239 people from Kuala Lumpur to Beijing is missing and would likely have run out of fuel, Malaysia Airlines said Saturday.

"At the moment we have no idea where this aircraft is right now," Malaysia Airlines Vice President of Operations Control Fuad Sharuji said on CNN's "AC360."

Subang Air Traffic Control lost contact with Flight MH370 at about 2:40 a.m. local time (1:40 p.m. ET Friday), Sharuji said.
Quest: Odd to lose contact while cruising Plane loses contact with airline

"We tried to call this aircraft through various means," he said.

The Boeing 777-200 departed Kuala Lumpur International Airport at 12:41 a.m. and was expected to land in Beijing at 6:30 a.m., a 2,300-mile (3,700 kilometer) trip. It was carrying 227 passengers, two of them infants, and 12 crew members, the airline said.
The passengers are of 13 nationalities, the airline said.

At the time of its disappearance, the plane was carrying about 7.5 hours of fuel, Sharuji said.

"Malaysia Airlines is currently working with the authorities who have activated their Search and Rescue team to locate the aircraft," the statement said. The public can call +603 7884 1234 for further information.

Efforts to contact the plane were fruitless.

"We deeply regret that we have lost all contacts" with the jet, said CEO Ahmad Juahari Yahya in a statement.

The airline said in a statement that its representatives were contacting the relatives of those aboard. "Focus of the airline is to work with the emergency responders and authorities and mobilize its full support," it said.

"We're closely monitoring reports on Malaysia flight MH370," Boeing said in a tweet. "Our thoughts are with everyone on board."

"It doesn't sound very good," retired American Airlines Capt. Jim Tilmon told CNN's "AC360." He noted that the route is mostly overland, which means that there would be plenty of antennae, radar and radios to contact the plane.

"I've been trying to come up with every scenario that I could just to explain this away, but I haven't been very successful."

He said the plane is "about as sophisticated as any commercial airplane could possibly be," with an excellent safety record.

There is one recent blemish: An Asiana Airlines Boeing 777 carrying 291 passengers struck a seawall at San Francisco International Airport in July 2013, killing three people and wounding dozens more.

China's state-run Xinhua News Agency reported that Chinese aviation authorities had confirmed that 160 Chinese nationals were aboard the plane, which was lost from radar in airspace controlled by Vietnam.

China's embassy in Malaysia has formed an emergency team headed by the Chinese ambassador to deal with the incident, it said.
Malaysia Airlines operates in Southeast Asia, East Asia, South Asia, the Middle East and on the route between Europe and Australasia.

It has 15 of the Boeing 777-200 planes in its fleet, CNN's Richard Quest reported.

How do you misplace a 777 traveling around the China Sea? Or a 777 in general? I mean the Air France thing was kind of explainable although I was kind of surprised it didn't have better GPS/Sat communication but I would figure China would totally be on that poo poo.

China is now saying they lost radar contact over Vietnam but come on, have we been giving their military way too much credit for years?

Three Olives fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Mar 8, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

something something aliens ufos hth op

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler
not sure how I would know someone on that plane

roboshit
Apr 4, 2009

i bet if u asked obama hed denied it. wake up sheeple

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler
Viet Cong shot it down

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

gnarlyhotep posted:

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

gnarlyhotep posted:

The person on that plane... was Hitler.

Vacation Tenzin
Jan 23, 2005

I'M TOTALLY CALM AND RELAXED.
I might know someone on that plane *checks all 14 facebook friends*

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

2spooky I flew with them 5 times last year :spooky:

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Vacation Tenzin posted:

I might know someone on that plane *checks all 14 facebook friends*

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Picnic Princess posted:

2spooky I flew with them 5 times last year :spooky:

My mom has mused that she'd like to see the Great Wall someday, she could have been on that plane! Close calls like this really make you think.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

:911: 4 Americans including 1 infant :911:

whoflungpoop
Sep 9, 2004

With you and the constellations
a non-zero amount of people have spent their life's final moments in an airplane bathroom

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost
Im sure I knew no one on it. But I feel sorry for every one who died. And Their families

Corkscrew
May 20, 2001

Nothing happened. I'm Julius Pepperwood. Let it go.

Three Olives posted:

How do you misplace a 777 traveling around the China Sea? Or a 777 in general? I mean the Air France thing was kind of explainable although I was kind of surprised it didn't have better GPS/Sat communication but I would figure China would totally be on that poo poo.

Air France flight was an Airbus A330 not a 777 hth

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost
I'm hearing online web rumors it landed in China, and China's keeping the plane + the passengers.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

Pumpy Muffinz posted:

Im sure I knew no one on it. But I feel sorry for every one who died. And Their families
I don't.

roboshit
Apr 4, 2009

Pumpy Muffinz posted:

Lol checck this guy and his feelings

goatse.cx
Nov 21, 2013

Supreme Allah posted:

I'm hearing online web rumors it landed in China, and China's keeping the plane + the passengers.

why would china do that

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

Supreme Allah posted:

I'm hearing online web rumors that you're gay and you want to suck my dick off.

roboshit
Apr 4, 2009

goatse.cx posted:

why would china do that

because we didnt get tough on them like romney wanted to

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Corkscrew posted:

Air France flight was an Airbus A330 not a 777 hth

Yeah but that was in the middle of nowhere in the ocean out of contact from ground radar, this was over land/the China sea.

Fat Lowtax
Nov 9, 2008

"I'm willing to pay up to $1200 for a big anime titty"

sorry

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

goatse.cx posted:

why would china do that

Their secret black market supply of human organs was running dangeriously low. That and there's a bunch of BODIES exhibits coming up for 2014 and nobody committed any heinous crimes to be worthy of being abducted by the black van.

roboshit
Apr 4, 2009

I dont give a poo poo about all those people that died. I loled a lot when i read about it infact. im a complete sociopath and dont have feelings

naem
May 29, 2011

The aristocrats

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler
somebody turned their drat cellphone on and bam, crash

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

roboshit posted:

Lol checck this guy and his feelings

Whoops. sorry

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

I'm going with ghost/magic until I hear otherwise.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
Yeah I'm having trouble finding genuine news stories on this, every one I read has a perspective that's rather slanted.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

777 found alive in cuba. Reported havana good time

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

gnarlyhotep posted:

somebody turned their drat cellphone on and bam, crash

Probably WiFi on a Kindle.

Al Cowens
Aug 11, 2004

by WE B Bourgeois

roboshit posted:

I dont give a poo poo about all those people that died. I loled a lot when i read about it infact. im a complete sociopath and dont have feelings
* crysis suit voice* MAXIMUM EDGE
They probably deserved it, imo.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Corey Plumper
Nov 22, 2008

roboshit posted:

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

In loving memory of Donald Pleasance
Probably pilot error like that crash landing at the San Fran airport.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

The Taint Reaper posted:

Yeah I'm having trouble finding genuine news stories on this, every one I read has a perspective that's rather slanted.

Aviation/Meth expert Richard Quest is on CNN International right now keeping you updated. Al Jazeera, regular CNN and MSNBC got bored.

Zippy the Bummer
Dec 14, 2008

Silent Majority
The Don
LORD COMMANDER OF THE UKRAINIAN ARMED FORCES
occam's razor tells us that the simplest explanation is probably correct so i'm going with "plane ceased to exist for no reason"

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

spasticColon posted:

Probably pilot error like that crash landing at the San Fran airport.
Remember when the fire truck drove over that survivor's body? lmbo.

Fat Lowtax
Nov 9, 2008

"I'm willing to pay up to $1200 for a big anime titty"

Sabel posted:

* crysis suit voice* MAXIMUM EDGE
They probably deserved it, imo.

why didn't that plane crash into you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whoflungpoop
Sep 9, 2004

With you and the constellations

The Taint Reaper posted:

:golfclap:

• Locked thread