Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

quote:

"We tried to call this aircraft through various means," he said.
how many 'various means' are there to call a plane? i mean all they have is a radio what else did they do? shout at the sky or somethin i gues

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
a really big kite with a message written on it

i guess i judged too soon seems like there are various means

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Fiery the angels fell. Deep thunder rolled around their shoulders... burning with the fires of Orc.
Tin cans with string attached?

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

WastedJoker posted:

Tin cans with string attached?

dont be fuckin stupid

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

Pumpy Muffinz posted:

your a weird dude Three Olives

shhh he's attempting edgy humor, we need to encourage that

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
a seance

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

What if Hitler invented the BMW i3 Subcompact Electric car?

gnarlyhotep posted:

shhh he's attempting edgy humor, we need to encourage that

It was a Fox News joke.

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

Three Olives posted:

It was a Fox News joke.

well I still appreciate the effort

TheBlackPharaoh
May 8, 2007

Oberleutnant posted:

how many 'various means' are there to call a plane? i mean all they have is a radio what else did they do? shout at the sky or somethin i gues

A flock of birds with messages tied to their legs

Bone Crimes
Mar 7, 2007

Oberleutnant posted:

a really big kite with a message written on it

i guess i judged too soon seems like there are various means

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8du60e0ANuE

Early warning monkeys

texasmed
May 27, 2004
signal fire

velvet milkman
Feb 13, 2012

by R. Guyovich
wow... my attractive white girlfriend is in vietnam on vacation... i hope She is okay

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

Ahhhhhhahahahaha... the French...

TheBlackPharaoh
May 8, 2007
Another contact idea - shoot "you guys ok?" in the bottom of the plane with aks and rockets

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien

whoflungpoop posted:

a non-zero amount of people have spent their life's final moments in an airplane bathroom

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Oberleutnant posted:

Planes have Wifi now.

Facetime?
Skype?
Twitter?
AIM?
ICQ?

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler
make sure the black box has pidgin installed

Space Jam
Jul 22, 2008

remember when we shot down that airliner full of iranians and then the soviets shot down the one full of koreans. good times. welcome to the club china

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Why don't planes travel in packs like geese?

like if there are 10 planes going to europe within 20 minutes, why don't they get into a big V, and alternate who leads so they all save fuel and stuff, then when something goes wrong, they can immediately radio in "plane 6 just hosed off into the ocean, better send a boat".

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Powershift posted:

like if there are 10 planes going to europe within 20 minutes, why don't they get into a big V, and alternate who leads so they all save fuel and stuff, then when something goes wrong, they can immediately radio in "plane 6 just hosed off into the ocean, better send a boat".

There have actually been experiments done about "buddy system" flying to save fuel by slipstreaming each other but AFAIK nothing's ever come of it. It is possible to get a healthy conversation going over ATC radio in heavily trafficked airways I guess.

Space Jam
Jul 22, 2008

Powershift posted:

and when the big predator plane comes along they can all get into a defensive posture

Uluru
Feb 21, 2007

Who dares to defy me?! I am Uluru the invincible!

Oberleutnant posted:

seance

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before

roboshit posted:

you should catch another flight because your extra 450 pounds on board may be the straw that breaks the camels back

nah cause i have to book 3 seats so the total weight is less

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Powershift posted:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alaska_Airlines_Flight_261

One of the most horrific plane crashes in history for the passengers. The horizontal stabilizer got hosed and the plane when into a dive and the pilot managed to fly it upside down for around 10 minutes before the stabilizer totally broke and it nose dived into the ocean while other pilots watched.

quote:

At this time, pilots from aircraft flying in the same area reported in, with one SkyWest Airlines pilot saying, "and he's just hit the water," meaning the plane had crashed into the ocean. Another reported, "Yeah sir, he, uh, he, uh, hit the water, he's, uh, down." Everyone on board died when the plane struck the water, and the aircraft was destroyed upon impact.

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

Three Olives posted:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alaska_Airlines_Flight_261

One of the most horrific plane crashes in history for the passengers. The horizontal stabilizer got hosed and the plane when into a dive and the pilot managed to fly it upside down for around 10 minutes before the stabilizer totally broke and it nose dived into the ocean while other pilots watched.

sounds like a stabilizer problem, not a buddy system problem

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

gently caress u i already ssaid that

Wilkins Micawber
Jan 27, 2005

as we leave this existence
looking for another
Fallen Rib
Langoliers

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
You'd figure the 777 would be luckier.

ha-cha-cha-cha-cha

GODSPEED JOHN GLENN
Apr 27, 2010

I put my thumb up my bum and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth.

Have they tried looking on the bottom of the ocean? Planes sometimes end up there.

Slush Garbo
Nov 20, 2007

FALSE SLACK
is
BETTER
than
NO SLACK
Three olives is better when he posts as Butplug Accident because there are less words.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

"Vietnam media quote Navy Admiral Ngo Van Phat saying military radar recorded #MH370 crashing into sea 153 miles south of Phu Quoc island"

11 hours to confirm a big rear end jet crashed into the ocean from the military?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Three Olives posted:

"Vietnam media quote Navy Admiral Ngo Van Phat saying military radar recorded #MH370 crashing into sea 153 miles south of Phu Quoc island"

11 hours to confirm a big rear end jet crashed into the ocean from the military?

This is highly suspect. I'm checking satellite view on google maps, and i don't see the plane anywhere.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG

Three Olives posted:

They are out of practice, been a while since B-52s have been flying over Hanoi,

Kempo Yellow Belt
Jan 5, 2012
Fun Shoe
I'm creating a Kickstarter campaign which will provide funds to Bo Gritz so that he, and a small team of highly trained individuals, hand-selected from the TPC to be sent this theater of operations to find out the truth.

If you funded some dudes hot dog stand, you can spare a few bucks for Bo.

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

jokes on you OP because who really "knows" anyone

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

bahahhahaa

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

Oberleutnant posted:

they called the pilot's cellphone and it made the plane crash

Rad Russian
Aug 15, 2007

Soviet Power Supreme!
So every airplane has GPS now no? This one had it off? Shouldn't they have the last location that the GPS was able to transmit down to like a 4 foot square at altitude of 0 right before crash?

I mean my cellphone can do it, even if battery dies I can go to a convenient website and see where it was last seen on GPS.

Rad Russian fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Mar 8, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before

Rad Russian posted:

So every airplane has GPS now no? This one had it off? Shouldn't they have the last location that the GPS was able to transmit down to like a 4 foot square at altitude of 0 right before crash?

I mean my cellphone can do it, even if battery dies I can go to a convenient website and see where it was last seen on GPS.

pretty sure they need more evidence than a loss of GPS location to be able to issue a statement about it crashing horribly into the ocean and everyone dying

• Locked thread