Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rad Russian
Aug 15, 2007

Soviet Power Supreme!

abigserve posted:

pretty sure they need more evidence than a loss of GPS location to be able to issue a statement about it crashing horribly into the ocean and everyone dying

Yeah I know about that part. I'm just confused about CNN report that Malaysia is going to fly planes along this plane's route trying to spot something. I would assume they should know the exact location right away and could have had a plane/boat there within a few hours. Imagine the pilot miraculously lands it in water (like Hudson) and then everyone just freezes waiting there for a day+.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GODSPEED JOHN GLENN
Apr 27, 2010

I put my thumb up my bum and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth.

:eyepop:

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Rad Russian posted:

Yeah I know about that part. I'm just confused about CNN report that Malaysia is going to fly planes along this plane's route trying to spot something. I would assume they should know the exact location right away and could have had a plane/boat there within a few hours. Imagine the pilot miraculously lands it in water (like Hudson) and then everyone just freezes waiting there for a day+.

if the plane hit the ocean, it probably broke up into a zillion little pieces most of which sank and it could be days before wreckage is sighted. It's just past noon in vietnam now, so I guess this happened in nighttime as well.

edit: I guess they know it disappeared over water

ethanol fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Mar 8, 2014

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
A guy from reddit said:

quote:

I was flying around the same airspace last night around the same time flying between Singapore and Darwin. There were a few storms around but nothing really out of the ordinary, although to be fair we had very different flight paths

EDIT: Also I'm sure they weren't related but we had a stuck microphone on frequency for quite a while. For those who don't know only one person can clearly transmit at a time on VHF. I'd absolutely hate to think they were trying to make a mayday call but couldn't get through...

roboshit
Apr 4, 2009

the posted:

A guy from reddit said:

:eyepop:

TheBlackPharaoh
May 8, 2007

Three Olives posted:

"Vietnam media quote Navy Admiral Ngo Van Phat saying military radar recorded #MH370 crashing into sea 153 miles south of Phu Quoc island"

11 hours to confirm a big rear end jet crashed into the ocean from the military?

South of gently caress cock island

hofnar
Dec 27, 2008

by sebmojo

Oberleutnant posted:

how many 'various means' are there to call a plane? i mean all they have is a radio what else did they do? shout at the sky or somethin i gues

3 VHF radios
2 HF radios
Satcom/satphone
FANS/CPDLC

Oh yeah and smoke signals

whoflungpoop
Sep 9, 2004

With you and the constellations

TheBlackPharaoh posted:

South of gently caress cock island
lies the vast expanse of Ngo Pran Phan

rocket_man38
Jan 23, 2006

My life is a barrel o' fun!!
Shoddy maintenance, poor piloting/communication. Big problems with Asian airlines, analysts have been warning about this for awhile. A lot of Southeast Asian airlines are banned from US airspace for these reasons.

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

Whenever we can't find the dog it's usually hiding under the bed. They should try tricking the plane to by offering it yummies in a loud voice and seeing if it flys up.

Slow-Scan Shep
Jul 11, 2001

rocket_man38 posted:

Shoddy maintenance, poor piloting/communication. Big problems with Asian airlines, analysts have been warning about this for awhile. A lot of Southeast Asian airlines are banned from US airspace for these reasons.
i don't think any of the shoddy airlines can afford a 777 at this point tho?

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
Malaysian airlines has a pretty good reputation I think, the SEA airlines you are thinking of are the extremely "budget" airlines like Tiger Airways and poo poo

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
:lost::lost::lost::lost::lost::lost::lost::lost::lost::lost::lost::lost::lost::lost:

rocket_man38
Jan 23, 2006

My life is a barrel o' fun!!

abigserve posted:

Malaysian airlines has a pretty good reputation I think, the SEA airlines you are thinking of are the extremely "budget" airlines like Tiger Airways and poo poo

Ah ok, I stand corrected. I remember the last 777 crash thread, several users were mentioning that ex pat pilots who train with Asian airlines say communication is a problem between pilot and crew. I can't remember if this was refuted or not though.

A Fucker IRL
Jan 25, 2014

by Baldo di Gregorio
And thats how you solve the unempolyment problem.

239 new jobs just appeared.

Yivgev
May 19, 2004

i brought my +1 ak-47

the plane landed at my house and now we're having a fun party :)

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Yivgev posted:

the plane landed at my house and now we're having a fun party :)

I like your style

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque puņ essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

thank god

sometimes i worry that one day they're going to run out of air crash investigation episodes, and then what would i watch when i visit my parents in order to avoid meaningful conversation with them

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 9 days!)

Pumpy Muffinz posted:

Im sure I knew no one on it. But I feel sorry for every one who died. And Their families

The drat thing killed their families too? That monster.

Kekeke!
Nov 5, 2003

"Jesus christ man where did all these koreans come from!"
An acquaintance of mine was on that flight. Everyone around me who knew her is in a sort of denial, fixating on the fact that the plane is still declared missing. I don't have the heart to remind them there is almost no chance the plane is somewhere safe in one piece. :smith:

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Kekeke! posted:

An acquaintance of mine was on that flight.

The prophecy is fulfilled.

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW
I flew on a plane once. This hits close to home I am terrified.

Al Cowens
Aug 11, 2004

by WE B Bourgeois
Today, we are all Malaysians.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Supreme Allah posted:

I'm hearing online web rumors it landed in China, and China's keeping the plane + the passengers.

Made up bullshit justified only by the fact that.. well, that's something China would actually do.

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
It's not a party until the bomb squad says it is
I'm the journalist at the airport shoving a camera into the face of someone whose whole family just died.

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

I read somewhere that there were two infant Americans on the plane, and now I'm hearing only one.
We are missing infants.

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
It's not a party until the bomb squad says it is
Probably one American kid that required two seats.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Dear god, I hope they didn't land in India.

Fat Lowtax
Nov 9, 2008

"I'm willing to pay up to $1200 for a big anime titty"

Sabel posted:

Haha! Ha!!

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

Oil slicks were spotted quite possibly from the plane

A Fucker IRL posted:

And thats how you solve the unempolyment problem.

239 new jobs just appeared.

But half of them were Chinese jobs

Zyme
Aug 15, 2000

the posted:

A guy from reddit said:

cool thanks reddit posts are what I come here to read

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Vertical Lime posted:

Oil slicks were spotted quite possibly from the plane

But half of them were Chinese jobs

They can't keep shipping ARE JOBS to china if there are no chinese people left. :getin:

Arzakon
Nov 24, 2002

"I hereby retire from Mafia"
Please turbo me if you catch me in a game.

Sabel posted:

if this is true someone make me nasi lemak for breakfast tia

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

My Imaginary GF posted:

Dear god, I hope they didn't land in India.

lol what would they land on?

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

FizFashizzle posted:

the poo poo encrusted sacred river

Chonchon
Dec 16, 2013

FizFashizzle posted:

new delhi's designated rape forest

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Arzakon posted:

if this is true someone make me nasi lemak for breakfast tia

Malaysia: the only country in SE asia with poo poo indigenous food.

Arzakon
Nov 24, 2002

"I hereby retire from Mafia"
Please turbo me if you catch me in a game.

Ilustforponydeath posted:

Malaysia: the only country in SE asia with poo poo indigenous food.

I hope you drown when your plane crashes into a vat of nasi kandar curry

mr_jolly
Aug 20, 2003

Not so jolly now
I'd hate to be the Italian guy who was on the plane but wasn't because someone stole his passport.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Three Olives posted:

:911: 4 Americans including 1 infant :911:

Any American on that plane was either a commie sympathizer or a savvy captain of industry, its hard to determine how to feel about this.

• Locked thread