Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rocket_man38
Jan 23, 2006

My life is a barrel o' fun!!
Waiting for the flight simulator spreglords to try and figure this out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arakan
May 10, 2008

After some persuasion, Fluttershy finally opens up, and Twilight's more than happy to oblige in doing her best performance as a nice, obedient wolf-puppy.

Three Olives posted:

Beijing passport control is extremely strict, it would be incredibly dumb to fly into Beijing on a stolen passport with any intention of getting in,

This is not even close to accurate. First you apply for an entry visa in the country you're coming from at the Chinese embassy. Then your visa is checked by the airline before you board the plane. If you make it into the plane with a valid visa there's no chance you will be rejected in Beijing, unless you're like not the same race as the person whose passport you stole.

Unless they are just using Beijing as a transit stop but then there should be some more proof of onward travel from these fake passport holders

sorry for the serious post

Arakan fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Mar 9, 2014

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005
I FUCKING HATE POOR PEOPLE BUT I LOVE BEING FUCKED IN THE ASS and having two dishwashers in my CONDO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Arakan posted:

This is not even close to accurate. First you apply for an entry visa in the country you're coming from at the Chinese embassy. Then your visa is checked by the airline before you board the plane. If you make it into the plane with a valid visa there's no chance you will be rejected in Beijing, unless you're like not the same race as the person whose visa you stole.

I've been to Beijing, save for say Cairo and places like Zimbabwe which basically required a bribe in US dollars it was the biggest pain in the rear end places that I have ever traveled.

samizdat
Dec 3, 2008

Arakan posted:

This is not even close to accurate. First you apply for an entry visa in the country you're coming from at the Chinese embassy. Then your visa is checked by the airline before you board the plane. If you make it into the plane with a valid visa there's no chance you will be rejected in Beijing, unless you're like not the same race as the person whose visa you stole.

Unless they are just using Beijing as a transit stop but then there should be some more proof of onward travel from these fake passport holders

On Airliners, someone posted that Beijing has a 72-hour visa free policy. They said that it's possible to forge a return ticket leaving within those 72 hours and there would be no need for a visa: "airlines don't usually verify if the onward ticket is genuine or not. A fake print out of the onward ticket will do the job."

Prof.Snugglesworth
Feb 9, 2009

Ooo...you make me live now honey.

Shithouse Dave posted:

Malaysia air had a pretty good safety record didn't it? It's not super third world.

Yeah. MAS has one of the best safety records in Asia. Prior to this incident, there were two other incidents that involved fatalities. One in the 70s which was a hijacking resulting in a crash and the other was a crash in 1995 in a Fokker 50 which is a totally different class of aircraft.

Drunk in Space
Dec 1, 2009
I flew MAS about 4 years ago and was mildly worried about being on an A330 (an old one that had some engine problems at that), which at the time was the same kind of plane that had recently been involved in a major disaster with Air France, and wished I could have been on a 777 instead with its impeccable safety record.

No doubt at least some people on this flight took comfort about the plane they were on along the same line of thought. :(

On another note: Kuala Lumpur is the worst airport I've ever been to. It has a spectacularly bad layout.

0dB
Jan 3, 2009

samizdat posted:

someone posted that Beijing has a 72-hour visa free policy

Yes, that's what I found last time I was there.

rocket_man38
Jan 23, 2006

My life is a barrel o' fun!!
Can someone correct me if I'm wrong, but don't the radio systems have their own power in case of an emergency?

Bubble Bobby
Jan 28, 2005

usb teledildonics posted:

I can't read OP because he's blocked 8D

same

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006
Security Clearance: Pop Secret

Whiny baby

rocket_man38 posted:

Can someone correct me if I'm wrong, but don't the radio systems have their own power in case of an emergency?

There are redundancies in virtually every avionic, hydraulic, and electromechanical system on a modern airliner. In event of main generator loss, large aircraft such as these are typically equipped with ram-air turbines which can be extended into the airstream and provide juice for the critical systems. However, auxiliary power won't matter if your aircraft has the tail fall off, or a primary fuel tank explode. Catastrophic failure of the severity we are likely seeing here leave no time for the crew to attempt to save the aircraft.

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW
I'm suddenly reminded of this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tSXTdzM1WLA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=275ufGZweZc

Sadly I couldnt find any of the clips talking about the crash.

Genesplicer
Oct 19, 2002

I give your invention the worst grade imaginable: An A-minus-minus!

Total Clam

The Casualty posted:

There are redundancies in virtually every avionic, hydraulic, and electromechanical system on a modern airliner. In event of main generator loss, large aircraft such as these are typically equipped with ram-air turbines which can be extended into the airstream and provide juice for the critical systems. However, auxiliary power won't matter if your aircraft has the tail fall off, or a primary fuel tank explode. Catastrophic failure of the severity we are likely seeing here leave no time for the crew to attempt to save the aircraft.

Stupid question, but how do you deploy the turbines if the power fails? Do they have a hand crank or something?

Rad Russian
Aug 15, 2007

Soviet Power Supreme!
Well new CNN update says radar showed that plane actually turned to head back before the crash. If true that adds even more to the mystery. If you're in a catastrophic failure and in a free-fall you wouldn't be able to turn the plane to head back.

I still can't believe they can have an always on WiFi on these planes but no direct stream back to the airline of the cockpit video/voice just in case.

Kombotron
Aug 11, 2011
Still relevant as ever

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=17GbGmDORwk

also gently caress you three olives you poo poo shoveler

stop bringing news from this gay earth into the gibbis

Telesphorus
Oct 28, 2013
my heart goes out to the families of those lost in this horrific, fiery crash

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Rad Russian posted:

Well new CNN update says radar showed that plane actually turned to head back before the crash. If true that adds even more to the mystery. If you're in a catastrophic failure and in a free-fall you wouldn't be able to turn the plane to head back.

I still can't believe they can have an always on WiFi on these planes but no direct stream back to the airline of the cockpit video/voice just in case.

Too bad they make you turn off your phone. It is likely that several people had phones with GPS tracking that could have told them exactly where the phone was when it stopped working.

roboshit
Apr 4, 2009

gay keurig condo

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

Rad Russian posted:

The truth is probably the simplest explanation. Some kind of problem with the plane caused them to turn around and then that problem turned catastrophic on the way back. :(

Telesphorus
Oct 28, 2013
aren't you more likely to get hit by lightning or get rabies than die in a plane crash or something? Im sure this fuct that statistic up

Kombotron
Aug 11, 2011

Telesphorus posted:

aren't you more likely to get hit by lightning or get rabies than die in a plane crash or something? Im sure this fuct that statistic up

not if the pilots are Sum Ting Wong

Ho Lee Fuk

and Wi Tu Lo

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Telesphorus posted:

not really, there are like 7 billion people in the world, 230 aint gonna do poo poo to those statistics.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Telesphorus posted:

Well yeah, unless its like, within the same news cycle of a major terrorist attack on the place you're flying to.

Telesphorus
Oct 28, 2013
i do remmeber being outside during a lightning storm on 9/11 and yet here I am :911:

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Wong Wei
he was a passenger on the plane and also a foreign xchange student in my school. smelled like a yeast infection.

myshl0ng
Feb 19, 2011

ooh, i've been a bad little poster!
How can you board a plane with a stolen passport in 2014

Rad Russian
Aug 15, 2007

Soviet Power Supreme!

myshl0ng posted:

How can you board a plane with a stolen passport in 2014

Per news sources, Malaysian airlines did not check passports against the international blacklist database where both of these passports were flagged. Every other major airline does this. So yeah, incompetence that's how.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
I think you mean that other airlines SAY they check passports with no exception.

Bolivar
Aug 20, 2011

Angela Christine posted:

Too bad they make you turn off your phone. It is likely that several people had phones with GPS tracking that could have told them exactly where the phone was when it stopped working.

I basically never turn off my phone in planes (or put it to "flight-safe mode", whatever that is) and I've done 100+ flights. No idea if the GPS tracking you mentioned works during a flight, though.

Wobbulated
Apr 24, 2007

by sebmojo

genesplicer posted:

Stupid question, but how do you deploy the turbines if the power fails? Do they have a hand crank or something?

Generally a lever that mechanically moves a restraint pin and allows the spring loaded turbine to deploy into the airstream

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque puņ essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

Scooter_McCabe posted:

Terrorism is scarier than "3rd world country with 3rd world safety standards suffers its semi-annual airplane disaster" and so why wouldn't a 24 hour news cycle run on speculation lead with the most fear inducing headline?

remember the time that a plane fell on queens, like, two weeks after september 11th, and everybody was dead sure it was a bomb

it turns out the pilot was just a retard who jammed his rudder full-left and full-right repeatedly until his tail snapped off and then everyone died

Jitesh
Aug 4, 2013

Mahatma Gandhi posted:

The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is an attribute of the strong.

Angela Christine posted:

But don't planes use GPS for navigation as well?

Well on flight simulator they do ;)

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Fiery the angels fell. Deep thunder rolled around their shoulders... burning with the fires of Orc.
Waiting for dumb American newsreaders to gently caress up the announcement a la:

Knight Corgi
Jan 5, 2014

Rad Russian posted:

Per news sources, Malaysian airlines did not check passports against the international blacklist database where both of these passports were flagged. Every other major airline does this. So yeah, incompetence that's how.

I remember boarding a small flight (1 hour flight, Paris to Pisa) in a small rear end airport and they didn't even check the passport. You just scan your ticket and there you go.
China is kind of strict with passports though, obviously for Visa issues as they are extremely rigorous concerning immigration. I go there every year and you have to look straight at the stamping guy who takes a picture of you (not always), scan your passport with all your matching id numbers and whatnot, and then finally stamps your passport. So yeah, I guess they have to do a comparison with a blacklist and all the database.

But then it's still weird, especially if the plane tried to head back.

BEAR GRYLLZ
Jul 30, 2006

I have strong erections for Israel.
Strong, pathetic erections.

Jitesh posted:

But don't planes use GPS for navigation as well?

Well on flight simulator they do ;)

How would they transmit the GPS information back to a source outside of the plane? I'm almost positive the GPS satellites themselves don't hold any location data and if the plane was out of radio contact (which apparently it was if nobody received a mayday) the only place that GPS data would have been stored is in the black box. The GPS on phones has the same issue: they almost certainly weren't connected to a network over the middle of the ocean and so that data is resting with them on the bottom of the ocean somewhere.

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

MrFrosty posted:

I'm Malaysian but what the gently caress. How can you say that? That poo poo's delicious. Would eat it every meal every day if it weren't 1000+ calories a plate.

Going from singapore to kuala lumpur was like falling off a cloud on a sunny day into a grave filled with decomposing relatives

u got mares in yr house
Feb 23, 2001

Ilustforponydeath posted:

Going from singapore to kuala lumpur was like falling off a cloud on a sunny day into a grave filled with decomposing relatives

No disagreement here. For us going to Singapore is a special kind of experience. Kind of like "This is how things could have been like if we hadn't hosed it all up". But I was talking about food, which is something we do pretty well I think.

Skipjack
Sep 11, 2007

I prefer a quiet station,
thank you.

FullLeatherJacket posted:

remember the time that a plane fell on queens, like, two weeks after september 11th, and everybody was dead sure it was a bomb

it turns out the pilot was just a retard who jammed his rudder full-left and full-right repeatedly until his tail snapped off and then everyone died

iirc the pilot was flying into wake turbulence and the only simulator training he'd had from the airline on wake turbulence basically required you to wrench the plane around like a lunatic or it would pitch into the sea

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Knight Corgi posted:

I remember boarding a small flight (1 hour flight, Paris to Pisa) in a small rear end airport and they didn't even check the passport. You just scan your ticket and there you go.
China is kind of strict with passports though, obviously for Visa issues as they are extremely rigorous concerning immigration. I go there every year and you have to look straight at the stamping guy who takes a picture of you (not always), scan your passport with all your matching id numbers and whatnot, and then finally stamps your passport. So yeah, I guess they have to do a comparison with a blacklist and all the database.

But then it's still weird, especially if the plane tried to head back.

Travel within the Schengen area is different though. You don't need a passport per se between Chicago and NYC either.

Bolivar
Aug 20, 2011

Ilustforponydeath posted:

I prefer the food in Singapore as well, but the main thing I noticed going from Singapore to KL was the amount of extremely beautiful women multiplying by 10. Kind of like a moment of "I knew SOMETHING was wrong in Singapore but I couldn't quite grasp what it was".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knight Corgi
Jan 5, 2014

feedmegin posted:

Travel within the Schengen area is different though. You don't need a passport per se between Chicago and NYC either.

Oh okay I see. But that's still kind of unnerving. And I thought post-911 made everything more complicated!

• Locked thread