Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BEAR GRYLLZ
Jul 30, 2006

I have strong erections for Israel.
Strong, pathetic erections.

Jitesh posted:

But don't planes use GPS for navigation as well?

Well on flight simulator they do ;)

How would they transmit the GPS information back to a source outside of the plane? I'm almost positive the GPS satellites themselves don't hold any location data and if the plane was out of radio contact (which apparently it was if nobody received a mayday) the only place that GPS data would have been stored is in the black box. The GPS on phones has the same issue: they almost certainly weren't connected to a network over the middle of the ocean and so that data is resting with them on the bottom of the ocean somewhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BEAR GRYLLZ
Jul 30, 2006

nickutz posted:

What if it didn't crash at all? Maybe they flew too high and are now orbiting the earth, out of fuel and just drifting along.

if they were up in space they could just call home on their cell phones, duh :rolleyes:

BEAR GRYLLZ
Jul 30, 2006

plane DOES NOT take off

BEAR GRYLLZ
Jul 30, 2006

A plane can't just disappear. You'd need to hide it under thousands of feet of something and there's just no place on Earth where that could happen.

BEAR GRYLLZ
Jul 30, 2006

I'm starting to think this plane may have crashed.

BEAR GRYLLZ
Jul 30, 2006

Guys, I think at this point we may have to rule out the possibility of there being any survivors. :(

BEAR GRYLLZ
Jul 30, 2006

fragrant white flesh

BEAR GRYLLZ
Jul 30, 2006

Seriously. The plane is either in the hands of Islamists in central Asia or at a secret US military base on an island in the Indian Ocean and you're loving dumb if you think otherwise.

BEAR GRYLLZ
Jul 30, 2006

Yeah because planes just "crash" so often, right? :rolleyes:

loving sheep

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BEAR GRYLLZ
Jul 30, 2006

gently caress guys, i left the plane inside of my hot car and now everyone in it is dead

my bad

• Locked thread