Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wobbulated
Apr 24, 2007

by sebmojo

Al Borland posted:

I'm not surprised China has no idea where the plane is though. I'd guess they have a sub par radar system

China actually has pretty decent radar and ATC for the most part. Not everywhere though, and the countries south of China, not so much either. I've had many flights over Myanmar where we couldn't get anyone in the entire country to answer us on the radio.

Interesting that looking at Flight Tracker, it looks like they had already climbed to a metric flight level, so it's hard to believe they weren't in some some of Chinese radar environment.

No good guesses as to what happened, but I think it had to have been catastrophic, as in came apart midair.

Shithouse Dave posted:

Shouldn't an explosion have triggered the beacon though? Unless it was destroyed, i guess?

If a crash is violent enough, the beacon transmitter gets ripped off of the airframe mounted antenna.

Wobbulated fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Mar 9, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wobbulated
Apr 24, 2007

by sebmojo

genesplicer posted:

Stupid question, but how do you deploy the turbines if the power fails? Do they have a hand crank or something?

Generally a lever that mechanically moves a restraint pin and allows the spring loaded turbine to deploy into the airstream

Wobbulated
Apr 24, 2007

by sebmojo

Shibawanko posted:

I could imagine if he was suicidal he mightve just done something crazy to end his life on. Go into a bunch of weird acrobatics and nosedives that hed always wanted to pull off, loving with the systems in some way, then just cruising around for a bit before the nut decides that, gently caress it, this stretch of ocean looks as good as any.

Wouldn't be the first time

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Craig_D._Button

• Locked thread