Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Biscuit
Jul 2, 2007
Half of everything is luck.

Arakan posted:

the guy from austria's passport was stolen two years ago... maybe someone shouldve canceled that passport number at some point between then and now

Probably overstaying his visa in Australia and didn't want to go back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Biscuit
Jul 2, 2007

Cthulu Carl posted:

Just another innocent case of Austria/Australia confusion. I'm sure the two countries have a red phone for the other country just to deal with that kinda poo poo.

tbf, they have warning signs over there

El Grillo posted:

Well poo poo. CNN and others are reporting that there were people using stolen passports from Austria and Italy on the plane. Italian foreign ministry confirms there were no actual Italian citizens on the flight.

E: Austrian ministry says Austrian citizen who was supposedly on the plane is actually safe, in Australia right now, and had their passport stolen.

The Biscuit
Jul 2, 2007
oil rig?

out of interest, how long did that site take to load? I waited around 5 minutes before I canned it.

The Biscuit
Jul 2, 2007
I bet there are alot of hi-5s at Boeing HQ right now.

The Biscuit
Jul 2, 2007
Wouldn't it be dangerous to just fly around? Aren't flight paths defined to avoid collision?

Furthermore, wouldn't other planes be able to ping the rogue plane? I'm sure that a crew would know if they come across a plane on their route unexpectedly.

The Biscuit
Jul 2, 2007
I dismissed collaborative terrorism because no one has owned up.
However, if I was part of that group, I would wait and see if I could get away with it. Furthermore, the media/investigators have released a "what not to do ammendum" for the next attempt.
Bragging about it would also have fbi/asio etc on my arse preventing further hijacks.

The Biscuit
Jul 2, 2007
I guess no one knows, but are there satellites (hi-res enough) monitoring the arse end of nowhere (the vector to antarctica?). As you get further from the equator sat-coverage is more expensive to establish.

Salt Fish posted:

I checked imdb.my and its apparently between 30 and 650 minutes long.
:golfclap:

hahaha

The Biscuit
Jul 2, 2007

Wandle Cax posted:

Can you tell what type of plane you are detecting on radar? Or is it just a blip. Because has anyone raised the possibility of the transponder on the plane being hacked to pretend it is something else entirely, in order to fly up to Kazakstan or wherever undetected? And from there the plane could even be painted to look like another airline, which they would then fly around and blend in as normal, until it is time to drop the bomb or whatever.

Unsure, but planes require a flight path, so there would be blips they expect to see and others they don't.
If they don't expect you, you are getting a radio message and then missiled if you don't respond

The Biscuit
Jul 2, 2007

samizdat posted:

Sorry, made a slow edit to my last post and didn't hit post until now. What if the flight path was actually much lower and managed to cut over the ocean into Gulf of Oman from India and then up into Iran (without hitting the border and crossing into Pakistan or Afghanistan)?

Wouldn't that still be a hot-zone for unrelated surveillence?

The Biscuit
Jul 2, 2007

Road_Warrior posted:

AP-3 Orion are searching this area, as advised by AMSA and the US investigators:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-03-18/australia-takes-charge-of-multinational-search/5328904

I don't think we'll have to wait long now. With a strange shaped search area they must have an idea they are going to find a debris field there.

I think Paul Keating was wrong. This search area is in the arse-end of nowhere.

The O3C has sonar capabilities of 1500ft (apparently), so hopefully they lucked out and crashed in the shallow end of the southern ocean.

The Biscuit
Jul 2, 2007
lol. Thailand noticed the plane off course but said nothing because no one asked them

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-03-19/malaysia/5332052

The Biscuit
Jul 2, 2007

Fucks sake Tony. You were meant to stop this poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Biscuit
Jul 2, 2007

gnarlyhotep posted:

This whole time they've been searching for a plane

they should have been searching for a plape

lol if you think they are looking for the plane.
They are surveying for future mining / cash cow.

• Locked thread