Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shithouse Dave
Aug 5, 2007

each post manufactured to the highest specifications

I am Toni Lippi posted:

It's incredibly hard to locate down aircraft when you have no idea where it is. It's hard to find them when you have an idea of where it went down, especially when there is water involved. A few years ago a plane from the airfield I work at went down with two experienced pilots, no comms, just gone. Even though they knew within a thirteen square mile area of where they were doing maneuvers it took them almost two months to find the bird in the water.

Did they work out why?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shithouse Dave
Aug 5, 2007

Al Borland posted:

Because blowing up a plane of irrelevant people in the middle of nowhere sends a STRONG message. Especially when you don't step forward and claim responsibility for the attack.

Jesus Christ, I don't know if people are this stupid or if terrorists are that stupid. There are so many better targets people could blow up / attack to cause fear that I never got the idea of bombing a plane. The 9/11 hijack though, that was a brilliant use.

Someone mentioned earlier the pilot only had like 18 hours under his belt too. If that's true, maybe not a good idea to have him take such a long flight.

I thought it was 18,000 hours?

I have never see a plane toilet with a seatbelt.

Shithouse Dave
Aug 5, 2007

kierrie posted:

It seems the most likely explanation at this point. Either the aircraft exploded at high altitude or it was diverted off course before crashing.

Shouldn't an explosion have triggered the beacon though? Unless it was destroyed, i guess?

Shithouse Dave
Aug 5, 2007

Scooter_McCabe posted:

Terrorism is scarier than "3rd world country with 3rd world safety standards suffers its semi-annual airplane disaster" and so why wouldn't a 24 hour news cycle run on speculation lead with the most fear inducing headline?

Malaysia air had a pretty good safety record didn't it? It's not super third world.

MrFrosty posted:

I'm Malaysian but what the gently caress. How can you say that? That poo poo's delicious. Would eat it every meal every day if it weren't 1000+ calories a plate.

I could happily eat roti canai every day.

• Locked thread