Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Skipjack
Sep 11, 2007

I prefer a quiet station,
thank you.
I predict good things for this thread in the week or so where nothing will happen because they're busy looking for the plane

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skipjack
Sep 11, 2007

thank you.

BiG TrUcKs !!! posted:

*in a british voice* March the eighth two thousand and fourteen. A Malaysian Airlines triple seven departs from Kuala Lumpur International Airport on route to Beijing.

A routine flight ends in tragedy. Now investigators must put together the pieces to find out what caused a modern jet liner to fall from the sky.

Skipjack
Sep 11, 2007

thank you.
Not always. Sometimes the sensors on the plane get hosed up and the pilots get confused and fly full-throttle into the sea lol

Skipjack
Sep 11, 2007

thank you.

FullLeatherJacket posted:

remember the time that a plane fell on queens, like, two weeks after september 11th, and everybody was dead sure it was a bomb

it turns out the pilot was just a retard who jammed his rudder full-left and full-right repeatedly until his tail snapped off and then everyone died

iirc the pilot was flying into wake turbulence and the only simulator training he'd had from the airline on wake turbulence basically required you to wrench the plane around like a lunatic or it would pitch into the sea

Skipjack
Sep 11, 2007

thank you.
lol check out this little gem hidden away in the middle of a sprawling article about "terrorism fears"

quote:

The missing plane is believed to have been involved in a crash in August, 2012, when it damaged the tail of a China Eastern Airlines plane at Shanghai Pudong Airport, according to unconfirmed reports.

In the incident, the tip of the wing of the Malaysia Airlines Boeing 777 broke off.

Skipjack
Sep 11, 2007

thank you.

WastedJoker posted:

Why do the Pentagon have a system that looks for flashes of light?

it'll be part of their early warning system for ICBM launches. They were pretty cool back in the 80s where sunlight reflecting of low altitude clouds could cause attack warnings.

Skipjack
Sep 11, 2007

thank you.
it was the other plane that had the damaged tail, the missing plane lost part of its wing tip. If the repairs weren't carried out correctly, which isn't unheard of, i guess that increases the odds of this being a catastrophic failure of the airframe in flight.

Skipjack
Sep 11, 2007

thank you.
favin that poo poo to retweet a hundred times when it turns out it was a structural failure

Skipjack
Sep 11, 2007

thank you.
They should fit planes with like a clapper or make it so you can dial it up from your home phone and listen for the ring

Skipjack
Sep 11, 2007

thank you.
what if instead of runway airports had big treadmills for the planes to take off from

Skipjack
Sep 11, 2007

thank you.
i hope it turns out the plane is fine but actually we all died

Skipjack
Sep 11, 2007

thank you.

sether01 posted:

In all seriousness though, would it be possible to hijack the plane, turn off any sorta of beacon that transmits its location, and fly it low enough or something to not be detected by radar?

btw, 24 is coming back soon

yeah you could do that but then what? turn off the transponder, fly below radar and... plunge into the ocean? land on a secret runway in the side of a volcano? the fact that there hasn't been a 777 reported slamming into the side of a skyscraper in Beijing sort of suggests the plane hasn't been hijacked and they would have run out of fuel by now if they were just buzzing around in it.

people travelling on stolen passports are more likely to be illegal migrants than terrorists and the fact that there happened to be people on this flight using false documents just shows how common the practice is. add on top of that it is extremely unusual, statistically speaking, for a plane to be brought down by terrorists, as opposed to the myriad of mechanical, structural and human error scenarios to choose from, and its looking remote that this was a terror attack.

Skipjack
Sep 11, 2007

thank you.
lol its not terrorism, watch the media interest dramatically fall off

Skipjack
Sep 11, 2007

thank you.

gradenko_2000 posted:

Alex Jones has such a nasty-rear end voice. It's like the man smokes entire packs at a time.

occupational hazard of screaming gibberish into a camera for a living i guess

Skipjack
Sep 11, 2007

thank you.
the most likely explanation is that the flight never existed in the first place and this is a stage managed distraction to divert attention from crimea

Skipjack
Sep 11, 2007

thank you.

AKA Pseudonym posted:

They aren't very good at getting information out to the press at the very least. One day a satellite has spotted wreckage then the next day they're sure it has nothing to do the missing flight and nobody should have ever released the picutes in the first place. It's almost a week later and any word one way or the other about whether the plane was still transmitting flight data is just rumor. Maybe it's just poor press relations but it gives the impression that the various people in charge aren't coordinating very well.

You've got three regional countries involved already, using a mixture of military and civilian agencies and on top of that you have the FBI and NTSB also involved. that's a lot of different agencies that potentially don't have a lot of experience working with each other or others in general and who are all going to be pulling in different directions and working to different timescales of information. When TWA800 went down it created all kinds of conspiracy theories which in large part were boosted by the fact that the NTSB and FBI were at loggerheads with each other. And that was only two agencies from the same country working together. I seem to recall there were similar problems with different agencies confirming and denying wreckage sightings with Air France 447 as well.

Ultimately, this wasn't looking great in terms of communication strategy from the outset with the way the airline and the press treated the families. Like a lot of things surrounding this accident, the boring explanation, that the conflicting reports are due to poor communication across several agencies, is much more likely than the Tom Clancy bullshit about cover ups and misinformation.

Skipjack
Sep 11, 2007

thank you.
The Times apparently has a story about carriers being warned about 777s being prone to fissures forming in the airframe of certain models, but people are also saying that its something to do with satellite antennae that MH370 didnt have, but its behind a paywall so I haven't read it. If that's correct you could easily have a slow depressurisation scenario where the plane just drifts along until it runs out of fuel and ditches.

Also Some Guy On Another Forum apparently spent last night looking over the plans for the 777 and reckons that a fire in the avionics bay could cause a total loss of electronic systems. It'd be easy to get disorientated flying blind at night over water and if the plane was on fire then that would support that oil rig worker who reckons he saw the plane on fire and crashing.

This is all speculation of course, but it's substantially more realistic than this bullshit that the plane is about to be turned into a DIY Minuteman and flown into Washington or whatever.

Skipjack
Sep 11, 2007

thank you.

happyhippy posted:

From infowars comments on it:

lets face it, we all know it'd be implausible for the government to hijack 4 airliners on 9/11 and fly them all into their targets. clearly what has happened is they are stealing planes like MH370, AF447, making it look like an accident, then transporting the planes back in time to 2001 to stage the attacks.

Skipjack
Sep 11, 2007

thank you.
get this: most plane crashes aren't caused by terrorism

Skipjack
Sep 11, 2007

thank you.
I think the main problem was that due to the pitot freezing and resultant problems with airspeed indicators he assumed the plane wasn't actually in a stall, resulting in the notable achievement of managing to fly a plane almost tail-first into the sea at full throttle.

There've been a few other crashes where something similar has happened: the flight crew is aware one or more instruments aren't relaying trustworthy information and as a result have to try to infer from other readings what is actually happening. Combine this with alarms going off and other unexpected behaviours (like the autopilot disconnecting itself and the control sensitivity increasing) and there's a tremendous amount of mental pressure to deal with, a lot of information to process, evaluate and act upon in a really short period of time. I think under those conditions its best to cut the crew some slack.

Having said that, there was one incident where the pilot managed to slam the plane into the ground because he kept rolling the plane in the wrong direction because he had been trained on Russian planes and got confused because the artificial horizons work differently on Russian and Western aircraft.

e: Here's another example of how conflicting airspeed readings are a really effective way to confuse an aircrew to the point of them killing themselves.

Skipjack fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Mar 13, 2014

Skipjack
Sep 11, 2007

thank you.
Seriously all these terrorist groups trying to smuggle bombs onto planes in their loving undies are wasting their time. All they need to do is just wedge some poo poo in the pitot tube and let nature take its course.

Skipjack
Sep 11, 2007

thank you.

Rad Russian posted:

Do pilots not receive any "instruments are down" training at all? At least reading all the wiki articles makes it seems like they start behaving like a 3 year old playing with legos as soon as something breaks.

You won't find many wiki articles on flights that landed safely after pilots correctly compensated for instrument malfunctions.

Skipjack
Sep 11, 2007

thank you.

Awesome! posted:

We hear all about how modern planes have layers and layers of redundancies for safety systems but it seems like this pitot tube thing failing basically bypasses everything since it's a support system common to lots of the avionics. Isn't that dumb? Is there literally no better or more redundant way to accomplish what this pitot tube does?

I think most planes actually have more than one pitot tube as a "redundancy" but the flip side to that is that if one malfunctions it just confuses everyone.

Skipjack
Sep 11, 2007

thank you.
get a piece of string. hold it loose in your hand. now hold your arm out straight and run. tell me what happens to the string, genius.

Skipjack
Sep 11, 2007

thank you.

BadLlama posted:

skipjack wtf does the string do dude

as you speed up, the string inclines. since pilots generally increase throttle as they climb, having a piece of string dangling around isn't going to clarify much.

Skipjack
Sep 11, 2007

thank you.

No. 6 posted:

Is it be plausible that there was a major electrics failure, perhaps due to massive static discharge (e.g. lightning) that damaged/disabled communications and resulted in a fire which choked everyone to death including the pilots, ending in the plane ghost flying on a jacked-up auto pilot until it plunged into the sea?

You wouldn't necessarily need an external source of ignition. There was an episode of Mayday about a plane which caught fire because the lovely aftermarket entertainment system overheated because too many people were playing video poker. But yeah, a fire would potentially account for the staggered loss of various systems.

Skipjack
Sep 11, 2007

thank you.
I'm not really sure how to take the Malaysian announcement that they are certain the plane was hijacked. Unless they have some information which isn't made public, they just seem to be basing this off the flightpath tracked by military radar. While that pattern of flying could indicate a hijacking or a struggle in the cockpit, it could also indicate a flight crew that is disorientated or distracted by another on board emergency such as a fire etc. Again, looking at Air France 447, the copilot put the plane into a steep climb before the plane stalled out and dropped 38,000 feet in just over 3 minutes and other crashes caused by pilot confusion have resulted in similar patterns of erratic flying.

I can't help but feel that from the fake passport onwards people have decided it was terrorism and are fitting any new developments into that theory but they still have no evidence, only a theory which happens to fit the facts.

Skipjack
Sep 11, 2007

thank you.
That could still have been caused by a fire though.

Skipjack
Sep 11, 2007

thank you.

Al-Saqr posted:

There's just too many wierd stuff happening that would never be caused except through human intervention, every means of communication turned off, plane flying west for hours and possibly ending up in china, nobody on the plane attempting to make contact or even open their cell phones.

if it had been a natural crash, then debris or something wouldve showed up by now in the area of the original flight path, and no one would be saying that the plane had been tampered with and there wouldve been some transponder or engine data happening as the plane went to it's doom.

I still think the plane crashed,hijacked or not, because (and I'm projecting here) if I had been a passenger on the plane I wouldve opened my cell phone and turned on roaming GPS or something by now, unless the hijackers confiscated all the phones or threatened me at gunpoint to not turn it on.

There's no cell coverage over the ocean so the fact no one called home isn't particularly surprising. Likewise, turning on your GPS wouldn't do anything because it is a passive service; your phone looks for signals being broadcast by satellites. Without a cell signal there's no way of relaying your position to the rest of the world.

Also if the plane was flying west it'd be flying away from China. If it was going to be used in a 9/11 style attack, it looks most like the target was somewhere in Malaysia, hence the plane turning back on itself, and then there was a struggle where the plane was turned away from the mainland and eventually crashed, maybe due to passengers trying to fly the plane in place of the flight crew who were incapacitated.

The thing is, that's just as feasible as a fire breaking out on board which slowly disabled electrical systems, starting with the radio, prompting the pilots to attempt to turn back before getting disorientated as their instrumentation failed. There doesn't seem to be any specific evidence to lead more in one direction than the other which makes it doubly confusing that Malaysia are announcing it was terrorism for defs.

Skipjack
Sep 11, 2007

thank you.
Well gently caress me, I didn't realise the new flight path was following waypoints. That makes it easier to understand why they are leaning toward it being some sort of deliberate action rather than malfunction.

Skipjack
Sep 11, 2007

thank you.

myshl0ng posted:

Yeah. Just keep your eyes on the plane's shadow. That's how I do it.

couldn't you just throw a length of weighted string out of the window?

Skipjack
Sep 11, 2007

thank you.
Everything about this is so unlikely it has to be building up to something on April 1st.

Skipjack
Sep 11, 2007

thank you.
All the passengers were chatting and were like ugh Beijing sucks why dont we go someplace else instead and then they tried but ran out fuel

Skipjack
Sep 11, 2007

thank you.
Zoom, enhance

Skipjack
Sep 11, 2007

thank you.
Terror Cell at Abandoned Krygyz Airstrip Anxiously Awaiting News of Missing Hijacked Airliner

Skipjack
Sep 11, 2007

thank you.

newreply.php posted:

that plane is somewhere underwater and thats why they cant find it

hope this clears some things up guys

lol as if

Skipjack
Sep 11, 2007

thank you.
plane literally occupies all possible dimensions of planeliness at once pending waveform collapse by anybody knowing what the gently caress is going on anymore

Skipjack
Sep 11, 2007

thank you.
take this thread to 45,000ft and depressurise

Skipjack
Sep 11, 2007

thank you.
i think i know where maddy is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skipjack
Sep 11, 2007

thank you.

Al Borland posted:

Place your bets is it the plane or is it just more garbage floating in the ocean?

i know malaysia isnt the most competent at this but i think they can tell the difference between plane debris and australia :haw:

• Locked thread