Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Young Freud posted:

If everyone is talking about cabin decompression killing the passengers, what about the pilots? I'm reminded a bit by the accident that killed golfer Payne Stewart where there was a gradual decompression in his chartered Learjet that sent everyone unconscious within minutes. The Orlando-to-Dallas plane flew off course for four hours and ended up crashing in South Dakota.

The flight path looked something like this...

A similar incident happen with an armed A-10 aircraft a couple years earlier. The Air Force ruled the pilot's death a suicide but it's been believed that his air supply may have failed and he went unconscious while flying.

This one changed course and followed new nav points rather than just continuing on

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

To be fair the idea of using Occam's Razor to justify saying "The pilot did a suicide" in addition to "The plane crashed" is preeeety dumb. The simplest explanation is that the plane crashed, but once you start getting into the reasons it crashed then that blows simple out the window. We know that the pilot willfully changed course and followed a bunch of nav beacons, so that kind of rules out "Eh well mate you see the rudder probably fell off at some point" and you have to start considering crazier poo poo.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Who's the retard who thought that was "wreckage" jesus christ

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I loving hate the internet, everyone's confoundingly stupid and I wouldn't be surprised if they managed to indict a depressed 16-year-old runaway during this process

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I'm legit mad that this dumbass thought a fine plane flying over some trees was "wreckage in the ocean".

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Rape gang reservists will be activated and dispatched to the scene immediately

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Yeah honestly I'm much happier putting my life in the hands of a dude who loves his job that much, unless he's into trying sick moves his buddies showed him last night.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Angela Christine posted:

He probably didn't sim boring rear end 8 hour passenger flights.

If I know sim players, there's like a 90% chance that's exactly what he did. With a dude from Serbia role playing ATC.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

oy mate it's a blimey stingray!

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

they're gonna find debris from a plane that's still ok donnie darko ftw

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.bluebraintechnologies.mpss

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Baba Yaga involvement as yet unknown

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Shut the gently caress up grandpa, we just lost another ship to the warp

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

ApexAftermath posted:

I can't loving understand why they are choosing to handle it this way. At least wait until they can share the data that explains how they can come to this conclusion. Right now they are basically saying "hey brah chill, look that plane crashed, i got sources trust me brao" combined with how absolutely loving hilariously bad they handled the whole investigation to begin with........it's no wonder people are not believing it.

Take a hit to your perceived competence now by giving up, and then one more time when they find 200 people loving on top of a pile of luggage on a deserted island vs. getting poo poo on continuously for the next 2 years as you continue to fail at everything.

It's basically "We're sticking to one story because if we're wrong we're only wrong once".

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Mar 25, 2014

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

how loving lovely is that radar

"hey he climbed to 45,000 ft! woops now he's at -11,000 ft! now he's at NaN!"

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

*small asian man walks by in background wearing a duster, flash bulb pops and reflects off the press card tucked into his hat band*

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Herv posted:

From a friend that flies for NorthWest:

Nah dude they totally haven't tried to see if the locator thing that activates on a crash got activated. Wicked sick idea.

Could you tell me what route he flies, by the way?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

My friend's an astronaut, and he brought up a GREAT idea last night - have they considered looking for pieces of metal? Apparently when things crash they make a lot of those.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Can't just be mocking general 3rd world incompetence, gotta be racism. What race are Malaysians, anyway? Chinese, or Japanese?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

gradenko_2000 posted:

Malay is a race. What the gently caress, that's why it's called MALAYsia

So is that Chinese? Or Japanese?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

The plane parachute is the best invention if only because of the stories of rich guys ruining perfectly good planes because they freaked out and hit the panic button.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Warrahooyaargh posted:

At one point on 9/11 Channel 4 in the UK showed a simulated pilot's eye view of one of the planes heading towards the WTC. :stare:

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

lol we're never going to find out what happened to this plane

think about it

it's never going to happen

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

mdemone posted:

Jesus Harold Christ, that's wrenching. Can you even imagine.

It gets worse. It turns out there were lots of survivors but the Japanese government didn't bother sending rescuers for a day or so, and the US basically begged Japan to be allowed to send helicopters over immediately only to be denied. People died of their injuries and exposure when they could've been saved.

GBS 1.0 comment was "Well you just don't understand what it's like to be a Conquered Country, how could they ever accept help?".

quote:

Flight attendant Yumi Ochiai, one of the four survivors out of 524 passengers and crew, recounted from her hospital bed that she recalled bright lights and the sound of helicopter rotors shortly after she awoke amid the wreckage, and while she could hear screaming and moaning from other survivors, these sounds gradually died away during the night.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

It's still here, guys.

In all our hearts.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Pekinduck posted:

haha someone illegally dumping old black boxes in the ocean has to be a possibility right?

I bought my black box spoofer off of Thinkgeek to annoy my coworkers and international search parties!

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

real talk i just don't GET IT, why are people so interested in knowing why a plane crashed. anyone???? anyone?????

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

plane goes missing and news stations get ratings showing stuff about it....just not adding up...plane missing...people interested... any help here?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

"your fuel consumption is over 9000" is something i just heard on CNN

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

It's mostly just the "I'm getting older and I can't deal with it" middle aged woman hairstyle

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

yeah like i'm going to spend 30 minutes aware of my impending death when the odds catch me driving on 35 mph roads to the airport

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Hey guys we got this signal!

Cool, so do you know where the plane is now?

SURE DONT

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

The best dystopian sci-fi is the kind where things just kind of steadily got worse instead of exploding in an orgy of authoritarianism and violence

Like mass shootings get to the point where most of the people you talk to have a cousin or something who got killed in one but it's not like civil war in the streets

I give us 10 years

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I know a guy who got killed in the VA tech shooting, I'm already there man, I'm already there

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Death grammar is pretty tough

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

loving calm down, Jesus

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

No let's talk about it, how come all these eastern countries are so good at killing 500 people at a time in boats that move at 10 mph on the calmest water possible

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I hope all the search parties send this retard government a massive bill for all the time they wasted looking in the wrong areas.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Are we sure this plane existed in the first place

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

crab have you heard anything from your buddies in the indian ocean

• Locked thread