Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Prof.Snugglesworth
Feb 9, 2009

Ooo...you make me live now honey.

Shithouse Dave posted:

Malaysia air had a pretty good safety record didn't it? It's not super third world.

Yeah. MAS has one of the best safety records in Asia. Prior to this incident, there were two other incidents that involved fatalities. One in the 70s which was a hijacking resulting in a crash and the other was a crash in 1995 in a Fokker 50 which is a totally different class of aircraft.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prof.Snugglesworth
Feb 9, 2009

Lady Galaga posted:

They wiki'd the company and found there was only a few accidents in their operational history and based their opinion on that

I've flown on Malaysia several times before and the worst thing I can say about them is that the last time I flew with them, I ended up having to eat nasi lemak on two consecutive flights.

Prof.Snugglesworth
Feb 9, 2009

Knight Corgi posted:

And yet the Atlantic Ocean is much much deeper and bigger (can't remember but the black box and most of the debris, along with many bodies were found deep down, like around 4000 meters, which is roughly 12,000 feet). Sure, it took them two years to find the most important evidences but the wreckage was in the middle of nowhere deep down, in a very big ocean and it "only" took them two or three days to find some floating pieces and bodies.
The whole sea surrounding the Malaysian peninsula is very shallow.
Either the South Asian military sucks or the plane just went far away from the area. Or both.

The thing with AF447 is that authorities knew definitively that the plane went down and approximately where it went down because they had received ACAR messages in the last few minutes before it crashed. So, when they started their search, they had a set of co-ordinates to start from and confirmation that the plane was going down at the time.

This is somewhat different because at the last verified point of contact (which was when Malaysian air control was handing off to Vietnamese air control), everything was still okay with the flight. After the hand off, the flight dropped off secondary radar. All of the stuff about the flight turning back towards Peninsular Malaysia/Straits of Malacca is based on what was picked up on primary radar and they haven't been able to verify if that was actually MH370 since all primary radar does is tell you that "hey! there's a big metal thing in the sky over there heading in x direction". So, really, the starting point for the search between MH370 and AF447 is quite different.

Prof.Snugglesworth
Feb 9, 2009

Nah. Chances are they'll load them into a life boat and tow it back towards Indonesia.

Of course, we won't hear about it from the Australian government because something something on-water matter something operational security STOP THE BOATS PLANES.

Prof.Snugglesworth
Feb 9, 2009

777s have doors that open by pivoting out and towards the nose of the plane. So even if you somehow don't have the differential pressure between the cabin and the outside of the plane sealing the door shut, I doubt anyone would have the strength required to open the door and DB Cooper their way off the plane.

Prof.Snugglesworth fucked around with this message at 08:30 on Mar 25, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prof.Snugglesworth
Feb 9, 2009

Ratjaculation posted:

Its why it was called Malaya.. the Malaysia is because Singapore became part of the country... and then left.

It was the Federation of Malaya to begin with which then turned into Malaysia after Singapore, Sarawak and North Borneo joined in. Singapore was then expelled from Malaysia because of idealogical differences which included the ethnic Chinese majority in Singapore not being on board with the pro-Bumiputera thing that the Malays from peninsular Malaysia were pushing (Bumiputera translates to "son of the soil" and pro-Bumiputera policies essentially encompassed the idea that the Malays should have rights and privileges above other races in the country).

AKA Pseudonym posted:

Obviously the plane was always going to be very hard if not impossible to find, but the Malaysian government has rewritten the events surrounding the disappearance how many times? It's the fact that they can't get the story straight that has everybody on their case.

By rewritten, do you mean the way that they changed the parameters of the search as new, verifiable information came up? Or are you referring to other elements such as the investigation of the crew of which most of the reporting has come from "a source close to the investigation"?

Honestly, I think that there have been some significant elements playing against the Malaysian authorities from the outset here - their lack of experience and internal resources for dealing with this sort of event and the politics within the region i.e. there are a shitload of territorial disputes in the South China Sea which I think has translated to the countries in the area being hesitant about sharing data as well as a general inability to work together. I don't deny that there have been gently caress ups by the Malaysian authorities (e.g. why they didn't bother to investigate an unidentified aircraft passing over peninsular Malaysia) but as far as the search and investigation goes, I think people have been too quick to jump on the ":lol: incompetent South-East Asians boat" without considering how complex the operation as a whole is.

The Malaysian government's efforts at PR management for this has been absolutely dismal but I guess that's not really surprising since they're used to having to only deal with media outlets that are run by their own cronies. I mean, how hard would it have been to get someone to keep an eye what gets reported and have them immediately debunk things that are being reported wrongly on an official Twitter or Facebook page?

• Locked thread