Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I want to see the captain's flight simulator setup. I found his channel but it just had stuff on air conditioners and things. It must have been taken down. Anybody mirror it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Zogo posted:

Then when you realize these "black boxes" have 8-track Doobie Brothers technology inside. :doh:

Any commercial aircraft currently flying use solid-state technology.

gradenko_2000 posted:

Since the black boxes only have a limited amount of recording time, is it possible for something to happen to a plane, and then the plane stays aloft long enough that the moment the failure happened falls off the recording range of the tape?

Yes, like Helios 522 & Payne Stewart's jet.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Zogo posted:

PS why don't we have nuclear powered/solar powered planes anyway? We have nuke submarines but nuclear planes would be a lot cleaner and could fly in perpetuity.

It would be too heavy to include the needed shielding to allow humans on board.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nuclear-powered_aircraft

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

mckenna posted:

Am I right in saying that, even if the black box / CVR is eventually found, it's unlikely we'll never know why this plane was diverted and ditched into the sea?

The perpetrator in this case would hardly have been allowed to take the plane out to sea without some resistance, so would have had to dispose of the other pilot (assuming a pilot is responsible) and locked himself in the cockpit. Unless he stated his reasonings to pile of goo that used to be his best friend's face, it's gonna be silence on that CVR.

We're left with what? Instrument readings throughout the flight and pilot input on the controls? Rotting bodies? Sweet, sweet mangosteens?

Did one of the pilots definitely do it? Fire onboard seemed plausible, but if bits of the plane turn up where the current search is taking place, it seems unlikely it could have ended up there without human intervention.

Only the last two hours will be on the CVR, although the Flight data recorder holds 24 hours. If the last two hours of the tape are mostly silent it would be telling that only one person is in the cockpit, etc. Or if it's totally silent(no breathing, using of the controls) it will tell you nobody was in the cockpit. So it will still give some information, but motivations, that cannot be said for sure.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I really hope they didn't do a water landing and the people have been cooking on a raft for a month. :smith:

edit: miles o brien works for CNN.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

vulvamancer posted:

They found the Air France 447 boxes about 2 years after it went down, but they knew where it was pretty quickly. I imagine if they find the actual crash location they'll eventually get the boxes. I've been wondering lately though if the boxes are solid state or tape/magnetic storage.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_France_Flight_447

I think it would be solid state, but so what if it was tape anyway. The technology is well proven.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

No Gravitas posted:

"Guys, it is gone." -- Chinatown 2014

"GBS is funny." -- Literally Nobody 2014

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
This might sound callous but I hope they all died when it crashed. If they've been floating for over a month on a life raft, that's horrible to imagine.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Where is "here" that pilots have their own restroom?

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

FlamingLiberal posted:

We may never know in that case unless they find the black box. Otherwise there isn't enough info.

What country are you in that pilots get their own bathroom. Thanks

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

ethanol posted:

I found it on my backup drive from 2008

HILARIOUS!!!! ! WHA ABOUT ALL THE PEOPLE WHO FOUND IT IN THEIR COUCH CUSHIONS. ROFLAMO HAHAH THIS IS great

friend of the family

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

ethanol posted:

i found it wedged between my car seats

You're a bad poster.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

That's what you call Karma for the Russians shooting down that other plane (that was also found quickly)

That's a really idiotic line of thought. The people on that plane didn't have anything to do with the shootdown. I guess 9/11 was karma for Iran Air 655? Or a U.S. crash that happened soon after?

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
GBS sucks.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

ChrisHansen posted:

What happened to that kid who found a plane full of bodies? Did he just make that poo poo up because he forgot to do a book report or something?

It was a hoax.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Chinatown posted:

5 days to find wreckage. That included debris, oil slick, and remains.

Almost 2 years to find the black boxes.

MH370, in comparison, is Gone, guys.

I watched a documentary on finding the Air France 447 wreckage quite a while ago. The company hired to determine the probable location of the resting place used some cool math & simulations to find it. With that information it was found within a week of resuming search operations.
IIRC it's thought that the black box "pingers" didn't actually work because that area had already been searched with underwater microphones in the first search effort (during the first 30 days when the pingers are active or whatever). That area was thought to have been searched already because they did that but the probability reports kept coming back to that area so they found it this time with sonar.

I don't remember which documentary it was but probably something on PBS.

MH370 of course wasn't actually flying on any course that we know of so who knows.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

FlamingLiberal posted:

Ultimately it may never be found because they have no good idea which direction it went and the potential search area is enormous. I mean we've already found pieces so the black boxes could be thousands of miles away from the crash site for all we know.

Yeah, what I meant to imply is finding AF447 was a cool thing since somebody asked about that but it was still on a flight path that we knew, so we can't compare. I have faith we'll find more someday but...

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Lazyhound posted:

Is there a blog or something that lists interesting non-plane stuff that's been found during the search?

I know they found a shipwreck.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Search_for_Malaysia_Airlines_Flight_370#Shipwreck_discovery
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-32719284

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Kilo147 posted:

I'm wondering if someone has it in their storage space, but they forgot to pay the bill so it'll be found by one of the guys on Storage Wars.

Shut up

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

WAR DOGS OF SOCHI posted:

"Crashed during a landing attempt."

Do Russian planes normally attempt to land like that -- plunging out of the sky towards the runway at a 45-degree angle?

I think in that video it's already bounced off the runway and isn't flying straight into the ground like it looks. Really difficult to tell exactly without some context though.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
shut up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

CharlesM posted:

I think in that video it's already bounced off the runway and isn't flying straight into the ground like it looks. Really difficult to tell exactly without some context though.

Ok I was totally wrong. It really did just fly straight into the ground.
https://youtu.be/ifJ9osyLRqQ

• Locked thread