Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope

Three Olives posted:

So we are approaching day two and they still know absolutely nothing according the the news conference going on right now. They are saying they have yet to find a single piece of debris and the oil slicks are still unconfirmed to be from the plane.

What the gently caress is going on there? Can't they at least easily check to see if it was jet fuel, wouldn't that at least be a little progress?

When that Air France plane crashed into the ocean it took a day or two to find debris. And it took two years to find the the actual wreckage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

Doctor Rope

It would be weirder if they bought their tickets separately, had nothing to do with each other, and just happened to be on the same plane which then crashed into the ocean.

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

Doctor Rope

ENSENDA CURES MAIL posted:

anywhere worth flying it into is going to have radar out the rear end that will detect it within a hundred miles

I vaguely remember something about airplanes being hijacked and flown into important buildings. That might not be the most implausible aspect of that scenario.

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

Doctor Rope

PT6A posted:

I think it's actually pretty frequent to have a certain number of people dodge fate by missing a flight that ends up crashing. I don't think 5 people missing the flight out of over 200 is abnormal (which is why overbooking exists). I'd be more concerned about the number of people said to be travelling on false passports. Does anyone know what the average for that is?

If plane crashes can be seen as a random sampling then it must be pretty rare because I don't think I've ever heard of this happening before.

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

Doctor Rope
Good run down of the current facts from the BBC. Including the revalation that they're looking for the plane by just standing on the beach and listening really closely.

quote:

At a time as yet undisclosed, a relative reportedly managed to call one of the passengers, who was carrying a Singapore phone. Malaysia Airlines has repeatedly tried to call the same number but no ringtone has been heard.

I think they just mean they're not getting through to the phone but that's a weird way of putting it.

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

Doctor Rope
If this timeline is accurate then the plane turned to the west just before transponder was turned off/malfunctioned and then flew for another hour and twenty minutes before radar picked it up again and the other side of the Malay peninsula.

I guess the crew was incapacitated somehow. Could there have been a loss of cabin pressure that somehow caused the transponder to turn off? A botched hijacking nobody wants to claim?

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

Doctor Rope

myshl0ng posted:

2014 and you can literally lose a plane, mega lolz

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

Doctor Rope

Tumble posted:

how exactly are the malaysians bumbling anything, its not like they are saying "here is the plane o woops nm rofl", they just dont know where the plane is cuz its probably at the bottom of the ocean somewhere

They aren't very good at getting information out to the press at the very least. One day a satellite has spotted wreckage then the next day they're sure it has nothing to do the missing flight and nobody should have ever released the picutes in the first place. It's almost a week later and any word one way or the other about whether the plane was still transmitting flight data is just rumor. Maybe it's just poor press relations but it gives the impression that the various people in charge aren't coordinating very well.

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

Doctor Rope

Cannot Find Server posted:

What about the people who were apparently signed in to chat clients on their phones?

The phones taken from the passengers are being stored in a locker in an unassuming office building that is, in truth, the headquarters of the Illuminati. Can the Malaysian Transportation Minister stop their plot and piece together the fragments of his true identity before it's too late?

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

Doctor Rope

Knight Corgi posted:

Are those people sociopaths or what.

No one even got hurt but those should certainly be ashamed of themselves for not treating a crash landing with the grim decorum it deserves.

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

Doctor Rope
It looks like the data reporting system and the transponder were shutdown about 13 minutes apart from each other, possibly indicating they weren't taken out by the same system failure and may have been shut down manually.

http://abcnews.go.com/International/malaysia-airliner-pinging-indication-crashed-indian-ocean/story?id=22894802

It also appears to have been following a regular navigation route indicating that somebody who knows what they're doing was in control of the flight after contact was lost

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/03/14/us-malaysiaairlines-flight-idUSBREA2701720140314

Maybe this Tom Clancy bullshit will pan out after all

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

Doctor Rope

Cannot Find Server posted:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asiana_Airlines_Flight_214

this was less than a year ago, you must have the memory of a goldfish

Not everyone is an aviation nerd who remembers what model of airplane was involved in what crash.

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

Doctor Rope

A GIANT PARSNIP posted:

I bet there's dozens of airports in poo poo countries where a few people with a trained pilot could just grab a plane and take off.

Then they'd be tracking the plane from the outset. In any case somebody obviously wanted a plane and took it while it was flying.

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

Doctor Rope

Northjayhawk posted:

According to cnn, US officials believe the southern scenario is more plausible than the northern scenario. If thats true, then its probably suicide.

I bet benefits for surviving family members are better when the plane your flying mysteriously disappears than if you just plow it into the ocean. Maybe one of the pilot had financial or health problems.

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

Doctor Rope
Suicide really makes the most sense. It's highly unlikely there's any cargo worth all this trouble. It's even more unlikely there's a terrorist group with an secret airfield capable of landing and refueling a 777. A down on his luck pilot conspiring to make his own plane vanish so his family can collect survivor benefits? Now that makes sense and it fits with what we know. I can't think of any other theory that fits nearly as well.

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

Doctor Rope

SuppressdPuberty93 posted:

Why fly west if you're just going to kill yourself?

Because you probably don't get the benefits if they figure out you crashed on purpose. But if you do everything in your power to avoid detection as you fly to the middle of the third deepest ocean in the world you might just get away with it.

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

Doctor Rope

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wdCJRybAtso

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

Doctor Rope
How much data do flight recorders retain? If they ever find the black box, will it have the full seven hours or just the last little bit? Cause finding it might not be worth much if it doesn't say anything about what happened at the time the plane disappeared.

edit: Oh yeah, Wikipedia exists. Flight Data Recorders retain around 17-25 hours of data and Cockpit Voice Recorders are required by the FAA to record at least 30 minutes but the NTSB recommends at least 2 hours. This is a Malaysian airline of course but Boeing is a US manufacturer so maybe they follow those standards.

AKA Pseudonym fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Mar 18, 2014

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

Doctor Rope

EmperorFritoBandito posted:

So which of the Three Stooges do Malaysia, China, and Thailand each correspond to?

Or is it more like one of the countries is all three, and the others are just wacky pratfall triggers like open manholes and paint buckets balanced on ladders?

Hey Mao!

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

Doctor Rope

Sinjang posted:

What incompetence are you referring to?

Not even Inmarsat had thought of this method of locating the plane before a few days ago.

Obviously the plane was always going to be very hard if not impossible to find, but the Malaysian government has rewritten the events surrounding the disappearance how many times? It's the fact that they can't get the story straight that has everybody on their case.

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

Doctor Rope
Technically they found MH370 in France. I think that's a fun fact.

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

Doctor Rope
They found it!

I mean the Indonesian plane nobody cares about not the other one. Sorry to get your hopes up.

http://edition.cnn.com/2015/08/16/asia/indonesia-missing-plane/index.html

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

Doctor Rope
That part they found might have nothing to do with it. Could just be a part that was being shipped somewhere and fell off the boat or something.

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2015/08/strange-saga-of-the-mh370-plane-part.html

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

Doctor Rope

Jumpingmanjim posted:

How much do you think the pilot drank before he took that flight? :ussr:

I know a guy who was at a Russian airport waiting on a delayed flight. The crew and passengers waited together in the same room, and when the pilot saw he was anxious about making his connecting flight he offered him a drink from his flask.

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

Doctor Rope

Turdsdown Tom posted:

the real question is did they ever find more than a few metal pieces from that ValuJet that crashed in the Everglades in like 1994? because that's how the search for this plane is gonna go. y'all ain't gonna find poo poo for like 8 more years then some fisherman is gonna reel in a suitcase or something

They pretty much found everything. There was never any mystery about where it crashed it was just hard to get at because there were alligators and water snakes and it was all sunk into the mud.

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

Doctor Rope
Just seeing some reports that they've located the flight recorders. Early assessment is that they're heavily damaged.

The ones for the plane in Russia of course. MH370 will probably never be found.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

Doctor Rope

CharlesM posted:

I think in that video it's already bounced off the runway and isn't flying straight into the ground like it looks. Really difficult to tell exactly without some context though.

How far could it possibly bounce?

It probably got all hosed up by the weather and couldn't fly right anymore is my technical analysis.

• Locked thread