Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
I am Toni Lippi
Aug 16, 2004
It's incredibly hard to locate down aircraft when you have no idea where it is. It's hard to find them when you have an idea of where it went down, especially when there is water involved. A few years ago a plane from the airfield I work at went down with two experienced pilots, no comms, just gone. Even though they knew within a thirteen square mile area of where they were doing maneuvers it took them almost two months to find the bird in the water.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I am Toni Lippi
Aug 16, 2004

Shithouse Dave posted:

Did they work out why?

Pilot error. They were doing a certain maneuver too low for their altitude. From what I was told they hit the water so hard it pushed the engine into the copilot in the backseat.

I am Toni Lippi
Aug 16, 2004
I'd be curious as to how they would know that it dropped to 5000 feet. That would be pretty hard to figure out from radar unless they're coming to that conclusion just from not being able to account for the aircraft and assuming it was still flying. Without the transponder giving back altitude to a ground station from a mode c interrogation I'd like to know how they figured that out.

I am Toni Lippi
Aug 16, 2004
Obviously Mugatu brainwashed the pilots into hijacking their own flight to fly all this slave labor to keep the fashion industry afloat. After hearing the song "Relax" they went off course to a private island where the passengers are making Michael Kors fashion accessories. The prime minister of Malaysia has pulled Derrick Zoolander out of retirement to get the plane and all the souls on board back.

I am Toni Lippi
Aug 16, 2004
I'm surprised this thread is still alive, unlike everyone on that flight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I am Toni Lippi
Aug 16, 2004

Chinatown posted:

Still gone guys.

Everything this man says is true.

• Locked thread