Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque puņ essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

thank god

sometimes i worry that one day they're going to run out of air crash investigation episodes, and then what would i watch when i visit my parents in order to avoid meaningful conversation with them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque puņ essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

BiG TrUcKs !!! posted:

*in a british voice* March the eighth two thousand and fourteen. A Malaysian Airlines triple seven departs from Kuala Lumpur International Airport on route to Beijing.

like, what qualifications do you need to be the guy who goes around staring at pieces of burnt plane and then says "ah, clearly a pilot training issue with the right aeleron"?

because that's literally my dream job based on television

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Fallom posted:

can you handle 12 hours a day of holding a piece of metal up in front of you with one hand, then another in the other hand, and going "hmm...hmmmmmmm...."

obsessively categorising a thing is basically all i've ever wanted to do with my time

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Scooter_McCabe posted:

Terrorism is scarier than "3rd world country with 3rd world safety standards suffers its semi-annual airplane disaster" and so why wouldn't a 24 hour news cycle run on speculation lead with the most fear inducing headline?

remember the time that a plane fell on queens, like, two weeks after september 11th, and everybody was dead sure it was a bomb

it turns out the pilot was just a retard who jammed his rudder full-left and full-right repeatedly until his tail snapped off and then everyone died

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Feranon posted:

what if terrorists were gonna hijack it but then it had a mechanical failure and crashed on its own

"NOBODY FUCKIN MOVE WE HAVE BOMB WE ARE THE CAPTAIN NOW"

*engine falls off*

"um"

well isn't this nice

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

kindermord posted:

if that wsj report is accurate i would be kind of nervous in any major western cities or tel aviv or seoul

why would they be nervous in tel aviv

do they think the plane is likely to land there and be full of non-white people

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

texasmed posted:

Also hard to believe that I missed a chance at infamy when I was working on the ramp at my local airport, and I could have brought down a plane with a piece of bubble gum in the correct pitot tube.

I'm pretty sure there was one major airliner (Birgenair 301) that was likely brought down because a wasp nested in one of the pitot tubes. Ironically, that was the opposite of the Air France crash - the pilots ignored it and flew normally, then they put on the autopilot, which immediately poo poo itself due to the faulty data and slammed the plane into the ocean.

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Road_Warrior posted:

Isnt this near that island where those wankers live who come out and throw spears and poo poo at helicopters?

it's a fair way from anglesey, all told

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

If the plane was flying around all spazzed out, that's probably a more certain indicator of mechanical failure than of anything else.

Japan Air 123 flew around in a fugoid motion and circled back on itself before crashing into a mountain much further away than a safe runway, entirely because the back end blew out and they lost all hydraulic controls. If you leave a plane to do its own thing, it quite often has a tendency to fly up and down for its own amusement.

• Locked thread