Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Dear god, I hope they didn't land in India.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich
It was a Boeing, my bet is the wings snapped off and everyone was absolutely hosed in the minute it took to descend to their watery graves

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Telesphorus posted:

aren't you more likely to get hit by lightning or get rabies than die in a plane crash or something? Im sure this fuct that statistic up

Well yeah, unless its like, within the same news cycle of a major terrorist attack on the place you're flying to.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich
So more news on the flight: Rose to 44,000 feet, flying erratically, dove to 23,000.

XK posted:

The easy way to control the passengers on a plane you have taken over is to take the flight crew's oxygen supply for yourself, then decompress the cabin. Even if you can't keep the rest of the plane from the drop down masks, they only last for 15 minutes or so.

Looks like you may've called it.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Rakosi posted:

I predict that this plane has crashed and we will find out why/how after a couple years of investigation with most the time spent locating the black box.

I predict that Uighurs will be blamed in the meantime.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich
No loving way, is that even in the range for the aircraft?

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Wandle Cax posted:

Perhaps you could tell us all how the satellite works three olive? if you know more than this "expert"?

I'm no expert, someone on that Airliners thread posted:

airliner guy posted:

InMarSat must have used signal travel time from the aircraft to/from that satellite to estimate its distance and create the arcs (in reality a complete circle as shown on SoCalGeo's invaluable maps).

Any further west along one of the arcs and the AOR-E satellite would have detected the ping too, and we'd be able to resolve the aircraft's position into one of two possible points rather than an arc. Ditto for a position further east, where the POR bird would have picked it up.

Thus, the aircraft landing in Iran is not possible unless the SATCOM pings were either shut down while the aircraft was still flying (e.g. the infamous E/E bay breaker theory) or there is such a long interval between pings that the aircraft could travel from a location on the arcs to Iran before the next scheduled ping.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

duckmaster posted:

Current theories

• Terrorism
  • Aliens
  • Suicide
  • Shot down
  • Time portal
  • Aircraft never actually existed
  • Parallel universe
  • Lost and crashed
  • Fire
  • Hitler
  • Godzilla
  • Nuclear meltdown
  • Industrial sabotage
  • Lizard people
  • The Jews
  • Banks
  • Elvis Presley
  • Mechanical failure
  • Flew to the moon
  • Black holes
  • Aircraft became sentient
  • The call is coming from within the house
  • Equipment failure
  • Trapped in plane crash factory please send help
  • Landed at another airfield
  • Crashed into mountains
  • Bigfoot
  • Michael J Fox
  • Viral marketing
  • Flew right next to another plane so it looked like a single, twice as big plane to the radar. As long as they picked a really noisy plane the pilots would never notice at night.
  • Jizz

I don't think we can rule any of these out, except possibly "fire" and "equipment failure" because let's be honest they sound a bit far fetched.

North Korea

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Chinatown posted:

Another weekend has come and gone.

Still gone guys.

Where is it gone to?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005