Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Unmature
May 9, 2008
She doesn't call them back because they're working. Pulling out every one of your undercover agents at the same time could ruin your whole business. And she trusts Bond to take care of Silva before too many of them get killed.

EDIT:
NEW PAGE! Have Daniel Craig playing a PSP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kangra
May 7, 2012

You only think that's a PSP. That's Bond reviewing vital mission information. If you tried to pick it up and access the secrets it'd spew poison gas into your face.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Brosnan had a Lynx that did the same thing.

Politicalrancor
Jan 29, 2008

I went to the Cinespia screening of Goldfinger and met Matt and Matt, and they are very nice. The movie is still bonkers though

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities
It's so funny, I love Gourley (my sister also teaches at Long Beach City College, and he's apparently a super-nice guy), but I can't wrap my head around how wrong he is about Roger Moore and the tone of those Bond movies. I don't want dumb comedy and pigeon double-takes and slide whistle sounds while Bond does a Dukes of Hazzard-style car jump, in my Bond movies. More than that, it genuinely flummoxes me that anybody would want that in a Bond movie! Goofy, over-the-top villains and silly gadgets are fine, to a point, but when you look at a movie like "The Man with the Golden Gun," you see where that line gets crossed. Scaramanga? Crazy, over-the-top scenery chewing by Christopher Lee, but it's fun and it works in the context of the movie. A car chase with J.W. Pepper bellowing bad one-liners in a bad Southern accent, though? Sorry, doesn't work for me, and I question the sanity of anybody who says it works for them.:colbert:

Unmature
May 9, 2008
New episode about Man With the Golden Gun! Greg Proops and Jeff Davis!

I just happen to have relistened to like six episodes this week and watched an older doc about Bond last night from 1999 so you can thank my good vibes for this update.

Also check out that doc on YouTube. I think it's called The James Bond Story. It was to promote Tomorrow Never Dies (or World is Not Enough I always get them confused, the third one) and has EVERY Bond up to that point interviewed in it. Even Connery!

AstroWhale
Mar 28, 2009
Don't listen to the Goldfinger epsiode. :can:
Also, I still like Thunderball. I have to admit the ending is pretty bad. I had no idea what was going under water.
Next up for me: Diamonds are Forever. I forgot how bad the opening is. "Welcome to Hell, Blofeld". Connery looked like he couldn't care less.

Reformed Pissboy
Nov 6, 2003

Chris Tallman as Herve Villechaize is so loving funny.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Don't listen to the Goldfinger episode if you're a sexist piece of poo poo. Sane, decent human beings should be fine.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities

Unmature posted:

Don't listen to the Goldfinger episode if you're a sexist piece of poo poo. Sane, decent human beings should be fine.

Yeah, I know I shouldn't be amazed (because hey, it's the internet. It brings out the worst in the worst type of people), but I still am kind of amazed by how much flack Alie and Georgia took for that episode. I love "Goldfinger," and I think it will probably always be my favorite Bond film. But even when I was a kid and first watching it, I could see it was a film with some incredibly sexist themes and ridiculously misogynistic scenes. I don't think that automatically makes it "a bad movie" overall - it's just a fact that needs to be acknowledged. One can admit that Roman Polanski is a monstrous human being and still think "Chinatown" is an amazing movie.

AstroWhale posted:

Also, I still like Thunderball. I have to admit the ending is pretty bad. I had no idea what was going under water.

I mean, if somebody is disappointed with "Thunderball," they must have had the Tom Jones theme song at the beginning on mute, because that should tell you everything you need to know about the movie.

Majorian fucked around with this message at 09:15 on Jul 18, 2014

Politicalrancor
Jan 29, 2008

How does one fight like Thunderball?

Kangra
May 7, 2012

He 'strikes' like Thunderball. Totally different thing.

(Tom Jones had the same question, apparently.)

Politicalrancor
Jan 29, 2008

I've always said I was very similar to Tom Jones

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Except you think it's super weird to fall in love with anyone.

lookoutbelow
Mar 3, 2004

New episode. Best and worst of Bond, live from LA Podfest last Sunday, featuring Larry Miller and Nick Wiger.

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014
Definitely a fun episode, but I'm finding it increasingly hard to tolerate Matt Mira.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

The Living Daylights is up. Pretty good, though I expected them to make more of the Rambo/Afghanistan thing. Not as much in this one to make fun of except for Joe Don Baker. The episode also has some audio issues (mostly no movie audio, and Matt has no headphones so he can't follow).

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Kangra posted:

The Living Daylights is up. Pretty good, though I expected them to make more of the Rambo/Afghanistan thing. Not as much in this one to make fun of except for Joe Don Baker. The episode also has some audio issues (mostly no movie audio, and Matt has no headphones so he can't follow).

Don't let the audio issues scare you off. It's not perfect but it's fine. Perfectly listenable. My biggest issue with the audio with the podcast is how it gets so silent when they stop speaking. Katie must use a noise gate or expander and when they're quiet for a second or two I wonder if my phone shut off or the playback supposed. Unless they're in a really noisy environment I think they should just leave to room tone in. Nitpicky, I know.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
I had the same issue listening to this episode.

AstroWhale
Mar 28, 2009
:dance:
Great. I am going to listen to it later. I fell in love with the intro while rewatching the movie.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eo9uXd48HME

lookoutbelow
Mar 3, 2004

Downcast tells me there's a new episode this morning (allegedly The Spy Who Loved Me), but the download goes sideways and the Nerdist site shows no such thing.

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

lookoutbelow posted:

Downcast tells me there's a new episode this morning (allegedly The Spy Who Loved Me), but the download goes sideways and the Nerdist site shows no such thing.

Same thing. I wonder if they pulled it to add some of the new info that came out. The title of the new movie and what Daniel Craig said about Austin Powers.

lookoutbelow
Mar 3, 2004

The Ape of Naples posted:

Same thing. I wonder if they pulled it to add some of the new info that came out. The title of the new movie and what Daniel Craig said about Austin Powers.

I think you're right. This was the first new hard info on the new movie in awhile, so they probably want to get some comments in now given the sporadic release schedule of the podcast.

Oh, and Andrew Scott in SPECTRE! Stayin' alive :dance:

AstroWhale
Mar 28, 2009
I wish they wouldn't bring "outsiders" to the podcast. This episode was especially bad.
The mission briefing was better. And it is a nice jacket. http://www.jamesbondlifestyle.com/product/barbour-x-ki-beacon-heritage-sports-jacket

Unmature
May 9, 2008
I can't even begin to fathom what you're going for with that post.

Train Surgeon
Jan 14, 2012
So it's all but officially confirmed that the next episode is going to be a crossover with How Did this get Made. The HDTGM mini episode named View to a Kill as their next, and the Matts hinted at something special too.
Despite the movie's flaws I hope they don't go too overboard in ridiculing it, wouldn't seem the right tone (at least for James Bonding). Still, hearing June Diane Raphael's confused interpretation of the plot should be entertaining.

Politicalrancor
Jan 29, 2008

How can you not go overboard, its a loving terrible movie

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Started mainlining this yesterday and the Goldfinger episode is my favourite so far. The whole point of the episode is to bring in two guests who don't "get" Bond and who offer an outsider perspective on it. It's funny in a :stonklol: kind of way because yeah Bond movies (especially the pre-Dalton ones, give or take) are kinda hosed up. It also shows to me that the hosts aren't afraid to face up to that side of the franchise.

Politicalrancor
Jan 29, 2008

well the source material was written by an effete racist homophobe.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

Politicalrancor posted:

well the source material was written by an effete racist homophobe.

I say dear boy

poly and open-minded
Nov 22, 2006

In BOD we trust

"Did you get along with the Negros?"
"No because... why would I?"

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

my dead grandfather fights better than you

AstroWhale posted:

I wish they wouldn't bring "outsiders" to the podcast. This episode was especially bad.

Dana Gould comes off like he thinks he's really smart and witty but I can't think of a single thing he said during the entire episode that was either interesting or made me laugh. I'm not surprised he was involved with the downfall of the Simpsons.

I am glad that Matt and Matt are both so consistently great though, so a subpar guest still results in a great podcast.

Tomahawk
Aug 13, 2003

HE KNOWS
The biggest mistake with having guests is that they just don't really have the chemistry that movie podcasts thrive on. I'm still only on From Russia With Love but this guest dude has never even seen a Bond movie and it feels like the show keeps grinding to a halt because he isn't on the same wavelength as the hosts.

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

my dead grandfather fights better than you

Tomahawk posted:

The biggest mistake with having guests is that they just don't really have the chemistry that movie podcasts thrive on. I'm still only on From Russia With Love but this guest dude has never even seen a Bond movie and it feels like the show keeps grinding to a halt because he isn't on the same wavelength as the hosts.

It's hit or miss on guest quality. Paul F has excellent chemistry with the two Matts, as does Doug Benson

Unmature
May 9, 2008
I feel real sorry for the people in this thread who don't get Dana Gould or Jonah Ray.

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Unmature posted:

I feel real sorry for the people in this thread who don't get Dana Gould or Jonah Ray.

Dana Gould is ok. Sometimes great depending on the circumstances. He was kinda, meh, on the Bonding podcast. But not terrible either. There have been worse episodes. But there have been better.

Quills
Mar 24, 2007
Think we get an episode on the leak? Haven't read it but can't believe Waltz isn't actually Blofeld!?

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014
Anyone listen to the A View To A Kill episode yet? I'm not really a How Did This Get Made guy so I might skip it.

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Gargamel Gibson posted:

Anyone listen to the A View To A Kill episode yet? I'm not really a How Did This Get Made guy so I might skip it.

I did. It's very much a How Did This Get Made episode than a James Bonding episode, as in they completely ridicule it and call it crazy and terrible the whole time without much real analysis or discussion. If HDTGM isn't your thing you should skip it.

It's kind of a shame because I think a James Bonding episode for that movie would be great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Politicalrancor
Jan 29, 2008

that movie is truly bananas though. and its a very funny episode

• Locked thread