Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)

anthonypants posted:

Yes.
No, because other, more reputable people have made this claim before, and someone, somewhere, is willing to substantiate the claim.

http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2016/09/15/educational-divide-in-vote-preferences-on-track-to-be-wider-than-in-recent-elections/

I am absolutely dumbfounded that you are debating this. This has kind of been one of the biggest topics of this year's election, and the fact that the college educated, once a safe Republican group, have become a Democratic leaning group, is hardly something that I invented.

That it is even more so the case in the Pacific Northwest, that college towns like Olympia, Corvallis and Eugene are famous for being liberal, is not a secret.

My only question was how strong the effect was, and where it overlapped with other factors. For some reason, me bringing up this seems to have touched a nerve with a lot of people. I have absolutely no idea why.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

glowing-fish posted:

http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2016/09/15/educational-divide-in-vote-preferences-on-track-to-be-wider-than-in-recent-elections/

I am absolutely dumbfounded that you are debating this. This has kind of been one of the biggest topics of this year's election, and the fact that the college educated, once a safe Republican group, have become a Democratic leaning group, is hardly something that I invented.

That it is even more so the case in the Pacific Northwest, that college towns like Olympia, Corvallis and Eugene are famous for being liberal, is not a secret.

My only question was how strong the effect was, and where it overlapped with other factors. For some reason, me bringing up this seems to have touched a nerve with a lot of people. I have absolutely no idea why.
If the college-educated were "once a safe Republican group" and "have become a Democratic leaning group" only recently, then why is it also the case that "college towns like Olympia, Corvallis and Eugene are famous for being liberal"?

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

glowing-fish posted:

Cherry-picking a poll where Gary Johnson has a 11% polling average seems... not wise.

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,

anthonypants posted:

If the college-educated were "once a safe Republican group" and "have become a Democratic leaning group" only recently, then why is it also the case that "college towns like Olympia, Corvallis and Eugene are famous for being liberal"?

Good question!

To be clear, that the college educated were Republican was mostly true in other parts of the country. "Rockefeller Republicans" were based in the Northeast, in the rich suburbs of New York and New England. Oregon and Washington seemed to be leaders in the trend of college educated people being liberal. But even at that, there was a big gap between certain liberal college towns, like Corvallis and Olympia, and other places where there was a lot of college educated people. In many cases, economics was more of a deciding factor, because people with college educations tended to have more money, and thus vote for Republican candidates.

One of the things that Trump seems to have done, both across the country and in the Northwest, is accelerate this change. He underperformed Romney in areas that were upper-income and well-educated, such as Polk County and Yamhill County. Of course, since some of these areas also have a lot of minority voters, there could be other reasons for the shift, but it seems to be a reasonable guess to think Trump's demeanor and policies have alienated a few people who might have been voting Republican on economic grounds.

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,

Gerund posted:

Cherry-picking a poll where Gary Johnson has a 11% polling average seems... not wise.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/john-a-tures/how-trump-is-badly-losing_b_11473134.html

http://www.npr.org/2016/08/12/489499596/the-latest-clinton-converts-white-college-educated-voters

https://morningconsult.com/2016/07/28/poll-educated-voters-favor-clinton-trump/

http://www.bloomberg.com/politics/articles/2016-08-12/education-level-sharply-divides-clinton-trump-race

I don't know how many more links you want.

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
Anyway, I've moved to Santiago, I am currently late to go hang out with a friend, and if you think its cute to be stupid, all I can say is, enjoy Donald Trump as President. You earned it.

Start a new thread in GBS so you can repeat your opinions without facts.

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007
May an IDF soldier mistakenly gun down my own parents and face no repercussions i'd totally be cool with it cuz accidents are unavoidable in a low-intensity conflict, man
Dang, you really put a period on the thread.

ANYWAY HOW BOUT DAT SNOW

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

SyHopeful posted:

Dang, you really put a period on the thread.

ANYWAY HOW BOUT DAT SNOW

"loving" snow

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
Hey, this thread got reopened.

Mrit SA
Nov 11, 2016

by Lowtax
The op is a good poster, though his meltdown was pretty sad.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
I already wasted my probation in the new thread, so I'll just reiterate in more polite terms: glowing-fish's meltdown is not befitting of this fine subforum.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

glowing-fish posted:

Anyway, I've moved to Santiago, I am currently late to go hang out with a friend, and if you think its cute to be stupid, all I can say is, enjoy Donald Trump as President. You earned it.

Start a new thread in GBS so you can repeat your opinions without facts.

American Liberalism.txt

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

anthonypants posted:

Hey, this thread got reopened.

I have mixed feelings about this, since I have often enjoyed this thread but it is located within D&D, meaning that I technically sometimes post in D&D, but do not identify as a D&D poster. It causes me some measure of angst.

BlueBlazer
Apr 1, 2010

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I have mixed feelings about this, since I have often enjoyed this thread but it is located within D&D, meaning that I technically sometimes post in D&D, but do not identify as a D&D poster. It causes me some measure of angst.

Identity politics are gross.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

CaptainSarcastic posted:

:yossame:

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

I had forgotten this was even a D&D thread and just treated it like a companion to the Seattle thread in Your City Sucks.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

dont even fink about it posted:

I had forgotten this was even a D&D thread and just treated it like a companion to the Seattle thread in Your City Sucks.
That's the way to play, imho

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Well, that's what was so weird. We don't really debate and discuss here. Don't identify yourself by your subreddit, friend. Down that way leads madness.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
if someone identifies themselves by their subreddit, then I just ignore them. A couple of my old college friends showed themselves to be lolbertarians via that, in the last year or so.

I mean it's great that you learned electronics and got a job in the silicon/emerald whatever, but when you start espousing eugenics and using coded racist language, sorry bro I really just don't give a poo poo about your LED contraption you're trying to sell via facebook.

logger
Jun 28, 2008

...and in what manner the Ancyent Marinere came back to his own Country.
Soiled Meat
There was just an amendment voted down in the US Senate today where drugs could be imported from Canada to help lower prescription drug prices and both senators from Washington decided it was better for the drug companies to continue having record profits than for sick people to be able to afford medication.

Sen. Cantwell we won't ever get well if you vote no on lower drug costs, and where were your golden tennis shoes when it came to affordable healthcare Sen. Murray?

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
This isn't facebook. Neither of those senators read this thread. You don't need to address them directly.

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.

logger posted:

There was just an amendment voted down in the US Senate today where drugs could be imported from Canada to help lower prescription drug prices and both senators from Washington decided it was better for the drug companies to continue having record profits than for sick people to be able to afford medication.

Sen. Cantwell we won't ever get well if you vote no on lower drug costs, and where were your golden tennis shoes when it came to affordable healthcare Sen. Murray?

It was not a binding amendment. This was one out of 20 amendments regarding the future ACA repeal bill that the S4P cult chose to focus on. This vote meant nothing. All the"outrage" is manufactured to get far lefties upset at the Democrats again.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
Liberals: #ResistTrump

Also liberals:

Drunk Tomato posted:

It was not a binding amendment. This was one out of 20 amendments regarding the future ACA repeal bill that the S4P cult chose to focus on. This vote meant nothing. All the"outrage" is manufactured to get far lefties upset at the Democrats again.

Mrit SA
Nov 11, 2016

by Lowtax

Drunk Tomato posted:

the far left is more interested in whining at the regular left then doing anything anyways, they'd just find something else to complain about while changing nothing.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Mrit SA posted:

the far left is more interested in whining at the regular left then doing anything anyways, they'd just find something else to complain about while changing nothing.

Don't forget refusing to vote in non-presidential elections.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
That one Anthromorphic Republican Talking Duck comic but with Millenials

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Lots of those canadian drugs we'd be importing were manufactured in the united states anyway, they just have a better system up there that lowers the price. If we're being ambitious and attaching dreamlike proposals to the ACA-repeal bill, we should fix our price negotiation poo poo down here instead of roundaboutly relying on the canadian version.

Look, not everything Bernie Sanders does is gold, not everything Patty Murray does is gold. This isn't a hill to die over. Washington having a very senior, relatively-liberal senator is something I value very much considering inertia will be the main thing keeping Trump in check over the next 2-4 years. And I wouldn't be surprised or offended if she traded a vote here for something more important, considering this is just one of many amendments to the republican thing trying to gut the ACA that holy poo poo shouldn't pass while we're still in pre-Trump America. Politics is gross. gently caress it all. Maybe I should just give up and focus on drinking and personal poo poo?

Ditocoaf fucked around with this message at 11:09 on Jan 13, 2017

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007
May an IDF soldier mistakenly gun down my own parents and face no repercussions i'd totally be cool with it cuz accidents are unavoidable in a low-intensity conflict, man
lmao at everyone clucking at the "far left"

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

SyHopeful posted:

They probably caught today's National Review article

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

This is what fascinates me most in existence: the peculiar necessity of imagining what is, in fact, real.

If the vote about importing drugs was purely symbolic as it's being argued here, doesn't that make it even less excusable? If it has no legislative impact and is about optics, a lot of people see it as Murray and Cantwell visibly siding with donors over the preferences of their constituents.

What did they say/gain by voting no aside from keeping on the good side of the industries who are among their donors?

Fakeedit: correct me if I'm wrong about this amendment being popular amongst WA Dems.

ATP_Power fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Jan 13, 2017

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007

anthonypants posted:

They probably caught today's National Review article

By that Simonson guy? hahah what a garbage article.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

SyHopeful posted:

#TheResistance

Imagine a jackboot crushing a pundit's face, forever

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I kind of figured this would happen:

http://www.thestranger.com/slog/2017/01/12/24799794/neo-nazis-postpone-threatened-rally-in-whitefish-montana

neonazis "postponed" their march, maybe after realizing what the temperature in Whitefish in the winter was like.

Whitefish isn't an easy place to get to. It is about 100 miles from a freeway. There are really only two roads to get there. The anonymity that online trolls operate under is kind of hard to get there. and its going to be very obvious to people when people are coming in to town.

So, I guess this is a victory. All it takes is for people to stand up and the racists and thugs are going to go back to the shadows.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

glowing-fish posted:

I kind of figured this would happen:

http://www.thestranger.com/slog/2017/01/12/24799794/neo-nazis-postpone-threatened-rally-in-whitefish-montana

neonazis "postponed" their march, maybe after realizing what the temperature in Whitefish in the winter was like.

Whitefish isn't an easy place to get to. It is about 100 miles from a freeway. There are really only two roads to get there. The anonymity that online trolls operate under is kind of hard to get there. and its going to be very obvious to people when people are coming in to town.

So, I guess this is a victory. All it takes is for people to stand up and the racists and thugs are going to go back to the shadows.
Hey, welcome back to the thread. I thought you'd closed it?

In response to the above link, I am also sure that this happened in a vacuum where a bunch of nazis didn't get doxxed earlier this week and where a bunch of protesters didn't shut down an event at UC Davis last night.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

anthonypants posted:

Hey, welcome back to the thread. I thought you'd closed it?

In response to the above link, I am also sure that this happened in a vacuum where a bunch of nazis didn't get doxxed earlier this week and where a bunch of protesters didn't shut down an event at UC Davis last night.

#MakeRacistsAfraidAgain

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

Error 404 posted:

#MakeRacistsAfraidAgain

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
Question for people who grew up in the Pacific Northwest, especially small towns:

For most of elementary school, I went to school in Battle Ground, Washington, which at the time was a small town (now it is a pretty ugly exurb). There were two African-American students (siblings) in my elementary school.
I remember learning about the civil rights movement, well, about Martin Luther King, over and over again, and I remember my teachers stressing that it was a good, heroic and pure thing. My memories of it seem to be that my teachers were quite genuine about it. As much as I can remember, I never remember hearing any type of racial slurs against blacks as a child, or hearing my parents or my friends parents say anything racist, no eye rolls or "those people". But there is a good chance that this was because I was like, 7 years old.

I was surprised in 2015, I was in Clark County and on three occasions I saw Confederate flags flying. Like, what happened to the area I grew up in, which seemed to be full of the most mild, polite people who generally thought being fair and respectful was important, that they changed so much? I am not saying everyone in areas like that is like that, but I have no idea where it came from.

Was this because I am just looking at my past through rose colored glasses, or did things really change?

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

glowing-fish posted:

looking at my past through rose colored glasses

Its this one, none of this poo poo is new, and the people screaming "this is not normal!!!!" Are doing nothing but declaring how sheltered their lives have been.

Its always been normal.
Death to America

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Removing the thin veneer of acceptance of all peoples is definitely not normal, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,

Error 404 posted:

Its this one, none of this poo poo is new, and the people screaming "this is not normal!!!!" Are doing nothing but declaring how sheltered their lives have been.

Its always been normal.
Death to America

Do you have examples of it being normal where you grew up? Where did you grow up?

Kind of as a further detail that might seem overly specific: after third grade, I moved to a more rural area outside Salem, Oregon, and went to a school that was a lot more mean and a lot more "redneck". I don't remember specific racist comments there, but I do remember the atmosphere being in general more intolerant (especially of me...I was bullied a lot there). So, just by moving 75 miles, I encountered a really different culture.

When you say "Its always been normal. Death to America", what are you seriously suggesting? That the United States is always, in every place, and in every situation, so racist that the only solution is to destroy it? Because that seems like an ingenuous statement. Since we can't really destroy American culture and start over, the conclusion is that we can't do anything?

And that since everything is just uniformally, terribly racist, there is no difference between, say, the political actions of Jeff Merkley and Jeff Sessions?

HEY NONG MAN posted:

Removing the thin veneer of acceptance of all peoples is definitely not normal, though.

Thank you! Like, when I am talking about racism not being a big part of what I experienced growing up, I am not claiming that I didn't have some experience with casual stereotyping, and adults whispering about "bad neighborhoods". I probably got a lot of racist messages just from watching movies where the black person was the comic relief, etc. But I at least observed politeness from my parents and adults towards minorities.

For that politeness to disappear is not normal. It isn't normal for me.

glowing-fish fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Jan 29, 2017

• Locked thread