Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mrit
Sep 26, 2007

by exmarx
Grimey Drawer

Kjep64 posted:

Oh, drat. I thought the stores were open. It has taken the state government this long? Ah, red tape.

There is more detail in the Marijuana thread, but basically it boils down to the Colorado law was nearly a free-for-all, and the Washington law is going very slowly and very carefully.
Also, Washington sat on their hands until the Feds came out and said, "Fine, whatever." A 6-9 month delay right there.
The first growing permits just went out, that crop will be the first sold this summer(June-ish). And with a 25% tax on each stage of the process(25% for each producer, processor, seller) plus local sales taxes, it will be expensive but make Colorado's tax revenues look like chump change.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mrit
Sep 26, 2007

by exmarx
Grimey Drawer

Mojo Threepwood posted:

My question is has Boeing always been like this, or was there a shift to more jackass management a few years ago?

Boeing decided that they would rather spend their energy crushing unions and being dicks than designing planes correctly or implementing a supply chain that wasn't retarded beyond belief.

Boeing execs: You see, we can totally build plane parts for one plane in over 20 countries with the lowest bidder! Wait, why don't our parts fit?!

My brother's job for the last 5 years has been working on fixing this issue. He spends more time disassembling planes than assembling them. With the stores I hear, I'd rather fly on Airbus.

Mrit
Sep 26, 2007

by exmarx
Grimey Drawer

isildur posted:

But, like, visit first?

Wrong. Don't visit. Don't move here. Not until the infrastructure catches up with the population. So maybe like 2035 or so.

Mrit
Sep 26, 2007

by exmarx
Grimey Drawer

Hedera Helix posted:

"The Vancouver Freeze" doesn't quite have the same ring to it, you have to admit. Or "Burn". Whichever.

From what I've experienced, its more the Vancouver gently caress You Got Mine.

And I think what some people call the 'Seattle Freeze' is normal. New neighbor moves into the house next door? Inviting them over for dinner is weird. Here we say "Hello." awkwardly as we pass for the first few weeks, maybe if they aren't terrible get to know them over the next year or so.

Mrit
Sep 26, 2007

by exmarx
Grimey Drawer
Sounds like the komo helicopter crashed while taking off next to the Seattle center. It hit a few cars and 2 are dead. Anyone see anything?

Mrit
Sep 26, 2007

by exmarx
Grimey Drawer

Thanatosian posted:

I know this is old, but it's worth mentioning that in Washington, there is no "tipped wage" exemption for the minimum wage. Servers get minimum wage plus tips.

Kshama Sawant has indicated a willingness to compromise on a phase-in for small businesses, which I think is the best way to go. It's a good compromise, in that we don't really lose anything on it long-term, it gives small businesses some time to adjust while hitting the large businesses that really need to be hit hard, and gives those small businesses a regulatory advantage over the big ones, for once.

I like the $15/hour wage, with a few conditions.
1) Phase in over 3-5 years, then tie to inflation.
2) Tipping exemption. I tip 20% normally, $15/hour + tips is crazy high money. Maybe an exemption that says you can be paid $10/hour and then get tips?(tips must at least make up the difference to $15) Not sure, but its a bit extreme for restaurants.
3) I want the range where salary kicks in to be doubled. Otherwise you will see an even larger increase in bullshit managerial positions paying the same as minimum wage.
4) Probably some considerations for smaller businesses.

Mrit
Sep 26, 2007

by exmarx
Grimey Drawer

FRINGE posted:

Up to a point...

That WA one must be out of date, unless you live in Eastern Washington or the Pennisula, no way can you get a 2 bedroom for ~850-900/month. I live in the Lynnwood area and prices just keep skyrocketing.

Mrit
Sep 26, 2007

by exmarx
Grimey Drawer

gohuskies posted:

They're going to have jobs in Seattle and have to buy houses in Renton, Kent, Federal Way, and Snohomish County. If you think the traffic is bad now, just wait a bit. Oh and yeah right as if serious transit will keep up.

Seattle: Land of a Million Startups, takes 30 years to build a train.

Edit: Just checked, was approved in 1996, is currently ~20 miles long. Due to be finished in 2030ish.

Mrit fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Apr 3, 2014

Mrit
Sep 26, 2007

by exmarx
Grimey Drawer

SedanChair posted:

I've wanted to live in North Bend for years. I'd eat at Twede's and bike on the Snohomish River trail every day. But I know the commute would destroy my mind.

Yeah, I commute from Lynnwood into downtown each morning, and that is already gross. I will likely be moving to Everett soon due to the sheer cost of buying a house in Lynnwood, and that's at least another hour on the freeway each day. :( I can't imagine commuting from North Bend.

Mrit
Sep 26, 2007

by exmarx
Grimey Drawer

Gerund posted:

We're talking about a city that is building a tunnel underneath downtown at a ridiculous cost to connect Vulcan Inc's SLU developments to Vulcan Inc's SoDo developments. It perhaps isn't one company but there is far too much power given to larger developers in this city.

But enh, egg on my face, its some other company town being developed as we speak:

http://seattletimes.com/html/businesstechnology/2017058160_childrens21.html

So... UW/Children's is building housing that they are legally required to replace, where workers aren't forced to live but they have 'priority' over other tenants.

Sorry, where's the part where I'm supposed to be mad? That's potentially 186 people that aren't in traffic next to me. That's people who's lives are bettered by not having a soul crushing commute to their home in Lake Stevens or something. Not to mention how much better apartment living is for the environment.

Mrit
Sep 26, 2007

by exmarx
Grimey Drawer

Esmerelda posted:

If you're interested at all in the history of Seattle, read Sons of the Prophets, it's an entertaining read. It also makes any trip to Lake View Cemetery more than just visiting Bruce Lee's grave, the city's history is buried up there too.

In fact, read everything written by William Speidel for a glimpse into the anti-California movement in the mid-1980's, and truth about what a dick Arthur Denny was.

"Doc Maynard" is my favorite, I also loved "The Wet Side of the Mountains". But I'm a huge Seattle history nerd.

Mrit
Sep 26, 2007

by exmarx
Grimey Drawer

Gerund posted:

And they're pretty cool! I like living in Seattle, I like paying my taxes here more than I would elsewhere, and I do believe that there are people in this city that are trying to make it work for everyone. But treating real estate and living situations as if they are interchangeable widgets is something worth correcting.

And yes, I think there are troubling issues when your living situation is also limited by your lively-hood, because it takes too much leverage away from labor and into the hands of management. If you were also forced to move if you were fired from your job, your recourse to any abuses of that power is limited. It is this relationship structure that makes company-town situations inherently worth questioning. I mean even in the given example w/r/t Amazon paying in gift cards as acceptable scrip: it is that lack of leverage the worker has in response to said monopoly on goods and services that causes the deprivations associated with company-towns, not the act of getting Funbux rather than real money.

Well, since that article about UW/Children's said that "employees have *priority*", I wouldn't think that losing your job would lose the home, as non-employees will be able to live there if no employees wish to. Just new vacancies will be to employees first.
I would love it if there were more housing options in the city. I have no desire to have a 90 minute commute each way, but I'm not an Amazon employee, so what can you do?

Mrit
Sep 26, 2007

by exmarx
Grimey Drawer

oxbrain posted:

"Welcome to Washington, now go back to where you came from." -WA state tourism board.

We need to put this up at Seatac and all major freeways.

Mrit
Sep 26, 2007

by exmarx
Grimey Drawer

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

I'd honestly say rejecting vaccination is substantially worse than rejecting water fluoridation.

Both are pretty stupid. Its the left's version of denying climate change.
People just don't understand science.

Mrit
Sep 26, 2007

by exmarx
Grimey Drawer

Kaal posted:

This debate was tedious a year ago when Portland voted on it, and it has not improved with age. Portland voted fluoridation down for reasons specific to Portland, and if you don't like that then please start a tedious thread about it instead of making GBS threads up this one as if water fluoridation is the sole measure of civilization.

I wouldn't say 'sole measure of civilization' but certainty a measure of the level of anti-science stupidity there. Not that Seattle is better, we don't hate science, we just hate the poor.

Mrit
Sep 26, 2007

by exmarx
Grimey Drawer
Only reason I feel bad for Subway is their prices are locked. Maybe they could have $5.50 footlongs?

Mrit
Sep 26, 2007

by exmarx
Grimey Drawer

Accretionist posted:

If they're that bad then isn't a bad thing they won't all be fired and blacklisted?

I don't think the entire department is rotten, there is just a lovely culture and they enable the percentage of lovely cops to remain that way. Hopefully with the Feds looking over their shoulder, things will change.

Mrit
Sep 26, 2007

by exmarx
Grimey Drawer
As someone from Seattle, the best sport is *insert team that did the best last year* and the other ones suck.

Mrit
Sep 26, 2007

by exmarx
Grimey Drawer
It was hilarious! Then awesome. Then hilarious again. And about 5 minutes into the 3rd quarter, depressing. I started feeling bad for Denver.

Mrit
Sep 26, 2007

by exmarx
Grimey Drawer

Animal-Mother posted:

They do. They have concerns about the well being of their families. Cops are human beings, believe it or not.

I live in a suburb of Seattle. Not a huge town, but it has a decent population. My street has 4 police officers living on it, 1 of which is retired, all worked/working at the local station(which is only 3 blocks away).
As long as I have lived here, no one has attacked these officers. Why would Seattle be any different? What's so scary about the citizens of Seattle where officers have to fear for their families? (Maybe they fear retribution for constantly killing defenseless people, which maybe they could stop? But to each their own I suppose)

Mrit
Sep 26, 2007

by exmarx
Grimey Drawer
I have only been pulled over once(and that was a horrible speed trap on the Peninsula and my wife was sick so I wasn't paying attention), and I drive ~70 normally. However, I also know where all of the speed traps are.

Am I just lucky or are the cops only pulling people over that are going 70+?

Mrit
Sep 26, 2007

by exmarx
Grimey Drawer

mod sassinator posted:

When I moved to Seattle from the midwest I couldn't believe that people drove the speed limit on the highway. It was completely normal and expected to be going at least 5 over, and even up to 10 over wasn't a problem. I would regularly pass speed traps going about 74 in a 65 and never have a problem. In Seattle it's odd though since the 'fast' lanes are usually doing the speed limit and people in the slow lanes are going 55 if you're lucky.

Just honk your horn. It seems to be the equivalent here of pulling out a firearm elsewhere, and the rear end in a top hat going 58 in the left lane will frequently visibly jump then move over.

Mrit
Sep 26, 2007

by exmarx
Grimey Drawer

FRINGE posted:

OTOH police in the NW are very nice(if you are white/not poor) compared to the SW.
ftfy

Mrit
Sep 26, 2007

by exmarx
Grimey Drawer

size1one posted:

There are actually two stores opening in Vancouver next week:
Main Street Marijuana - July 9th
New Vampsterdam - July 11th

I'm excited but mostly for the novelty of legally purchasing pot. If i do go it will only be to purchase a token amount. I'll be more excited when hash and edibles are available.

I thought I had read that edibles weren't going to be available for ages, due to the sheer amount of regulation that the state is putting on them. Which is a shame.

Mrit
Sep 26, 2007

by exmarx
Grimey Drawer

size1one posted:

It's also in part there isn't enough raw plant material yet, but regulations are the main issue. There was an expectation that much of the initial harvests wouldn't pass inspection or wouldn't be inspected in time. If the regulations ensure edibles contain a consistent dosage then the delay is worth it.

Agreed. One of the downsides of Colorado's market is how deceptive the edibles market was, and the wild variations in product.
I'm willing to wait, it will get here eventually. It is too profitable to the state not to be, and Olympia is hungry for tax dollars.

Mrit
Sep 26, 2007

by exmarx
Grimey Drawer

Javid posted:

Down here, one of the deputies is running for sheriff. This week he got fired, and somehow people are shocked. Who'da thunk trying to oust your boss was a potential bad move?

All this proves is that his boss is probably poo poo and has likely made his own campaign more difficult which means he's an idiot so...
Guess it all works out?

Mrit
Sep 26, 2007

by exmarx
Grimey Drawer
Sadly, Washington has a bunch of the wacky anti-Science types just like (far nuttier) Portland.
I know a guy who won't stand near a microwave while it is on because of 'radiation'. I guess most people just feel compelled to be crazy.

Mrit
Sep 26, 2007

by exmarx
Grimey Drawer

effectual posted:

I was referring to all the leaks in the Hanford storage tanks.

You mean the 1 leaking tank(out of 177) that will take decades to reach underground water supplies? Yes, much worse than coal making GBS threads up the atmosphere with pollutants.

http://www.ecy.wa.gov/programs/nwp/sections/tankwaste/closure/pages/tank_leak_FAQ.html

Guess what? All methods of energy production have drawbacks. You take the least evil.

Mrit
Sep 26, 2007

by exmarx
Grimey Drawer

Space Gopher posted:

Hanford continued producing plutonium into the 1980s, including at the N reactor that was managed by DOE for nuclear fuel production and WPPSS for civilian electricity production (although, to be fair, it wasn't nearly as bad as the older reactors that let their core coolant sit for a couple of hours and then put it right back into the Columbia River). What you're probably thinking of is the dedicated power plant, the Columbia Generating Station.

The power plant has always had separate waste storage. It's the same method used at almost all other nuclear power plants in the US: let the fuel burn off all the really nasty short-half-life stuff underwater in a sealed pool, and then transfer it to longer-term but still theoretically temporary dry cask storage that will wait for Yucca Mountain or some other site to open up. It's nothing like the witches' brew of toxic and radioactive liquids from plutonium production.

Mrit was trying to paint the Hanford site as not all that bad, and as a necessary consequence of nuclear power. Neither is true. The Hanford plutonium production facility was and is a genuine disaster, and it was entirely preventable.

I was trying to(poorly) make the point that knee jerk hatred of nuclear power because of waste makes zero sense when coal/natural gas/everything else is far worse.
Could we be doing a better job at Hanford? Definitely yes. Is it really that bad compared to all the crap that goes into our water and air from other power sources? No.

I was essentially replying to this guy's post:

effectual posted:

No, it just poisons the Columbia river and the fish in it we eat.

Doubt the guy will win anyway, anyone that populist on the eastside has a snowballs chance in hell.

Mrit
Sep 26, 2007

by exmarx
Grimey Drawer

Gerund posted:

I'm sure that the voters of Portland would love to see a regressive sales tax implemented, especially as an obvious end-around of the legalization movement over a product that cannot officially be sold.

We have an effective 75% tax from just the state here in Washington on marijuana. Plus sales tax. Why can't Portland get a bit of operating revenue?
As much as I hate regressive taxes, its not like people NEED to buy marijuana. Its a luxury.

Mrit
Sep 26, 2007

by exmarx
Grimey Drawer

kensei posted:

It's been a hot button for this area since I was a kid, the Oregon taxation of Washington residents. I'm totally willing to support taxing WA license plates going South, as long as there is something in place recognizing the people that do pay OR taxes and we get a break of some sorts - since we help pay for the mythical bridge that will probably never get built!

As for why people live over here, it's far less expensive to buy a house and the schools are significantly better.

Yeah, if Oregonians don't want people living in Vancouver and working in Portland, maybe they could try something crazy like building houses in/near Portland?

Mrit
Sep 26, 2007

by exmarx
Grimey Drawer

anthonypants posted:

Same, but Dick's in Portland.

Fixed.

Mrit
Sep 26, 2007

by exmarx
Grimey Drawer

Thanatosian posted:

He's essentially a mouthpiece for the LEO unions.

I think you answered your own question.

Mrit
Sep 26, 2007

by exmarx
Grimey Drawer

Quantum Finger posted:

Just read this entire thread, escaping to Bainbridge Island next week after spending 33 years in Dallas, Texas. I need a quick crash course in the differences between Dallas and Seattle (aside from "everything"). Pretty up to date on politics now, and also scared as gently caress to fly! What else do I need to know?

People will all be friendly. They won't want to be your friend.
Traffic is generally bad, and occasionally horrible.
If you complain about the rain, people will make fun of you.
Honking is the rough equivalent of brandishing a gun.
If you like football, and bandwagon the Seahawks, everyone will be nice to you(except Sounders fans). If you are a 49ers fan, you will get lots of poo poo. Don't mention basketball.
When it comes to real estate, double the price of everything you are used to. At least.

About Bainbridge, it's only accessible to Seattle by about 50 miles driving or the ferry system. I have lived here all my life and never been there. I hear it is nice though.

Mrit
Sep 26, 2007

by exmarx
Grimey Drawer

Chantilly Say posted:

It really ruins things that it happens so infrequently--the local govt won't have very many resources to deal with the problem. Seattle is a little better at it than Portland, but Seattle has more hills to make the problem worse.

3:00 in for the good part: http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=rhZCyQ3emQg

It was insane in 2008, craziest weather we had here in a generation. Two weeks around 17 degrees with ~2-3 feet of accumulation isn't a normal thing. My entire company just stayed home, and while the main office objected at first, they relented and we basically got a free week of vacation.

Mrit fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Sep 28, 2014

Mrit
Sep 26, 2007

by exmarx
Grimey Drawer

FRINGE posted:

Increase taxes on the wealthy.

Fixed.

Mrit
Sep 26, 2007

by exmarx
Grimey Drawer

Hedera Helix posted:

What were his opinions on water fluoridation

Well, this is Portland we are talking about here. I'm guessing somewhere between "Government mind control!" and "We just need to study the issue further before we put *chemicals* in the water."

Mrit
Sep 26, 2007

by exmarx
Grimey Drawer

Ditocoaf posted:

Don't improve non-car infrastructure, just buy a car. Buy a car. Why don't you filthy poors own a car yet? It is the only way people will ever get around in God's U.S. of A.

This, but unironically.

Mrit
Sep 26, 2007

by exmarx
Grimey Drawer

anthonypants posted:

Are the people moving to Seattle coming in by bicycle? Because they sure as gently caress aren't in Portland.

Nope, they are clogging up South Lake Union and slowly spreading. Some days I just can't wait for Amazon to run out of money...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mrit
Sep 26, 2007

by exmarx
Grimey Drawer

Best Friends posted:

I laugh whenever people say this. When did you move to Seattle?

Born in North Seattle, lived here ever since. :clint:

• Locked thread