Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

Telesphorus posted:

Oregon and Washington are weird states. They fascinate me. :allears:

I've heard Oregon, geographically, is one of the most backwards redneck states in America. I wonder how it feels to be right wing living in a fixed blue state. Portland, though liberal, is primarily white isn't it? Oregon sounds white as gently caress.

As someone who actually grew up in Eastern Oregon (ama) yes they are incredibly redneck to the point where some communities actually have an accent I've yet to hear anywhere else. Of course your white comment is way off in some respects, some of my classes back East in elementary/middle school I was the only white kid (and one of a handful in others). Portland has been steadily improving on ethnic diversity though our cops are still bonkers racist.

By and large the Eastern residents don't give a flying gently caress about the rest of the state (or indeed national politics in general) at all. It's more like the two halves of the state ignore each other knowing that one is unable to ever influence the other in any meaningful way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

Beowulfs_Ghost posted:

The compound they built was eventually bought by a Christian group and turned into a summer camp. My sister worked there for awhile and I got to stay the night and get a tour of the place during the off season. The reason there was on off season tour was actually to show the place off to the locals. The people out there are so paranoid that they are suspicious of even an overtly Christian summer camp.

And the place is seriously in the middle of nowhere. It has an airstrip, which isn't all that unusual for ranches out there. The cult upgraded it to handle small cargo planes, and the camp still maintains it because it is the only way to get people out for medical attention in a timely manner. It is hours of driving to get to a decent hospital.

Fun Oregon fact, only the land and the major buildings were bought for the summer camp. The rest of the buildings and facilities were bought by a variety of different entities, primarily Western Oregon University, which turned them into classrooms that permanently reek of cheap inscense.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

Kaal posted:

Having never even heard of the story before, I have to say that it's kind of noteworthy that the journalist is hooraying when state lawmakers came out in droves to oppose an Indian mystic starting up a commune in rural Oregon, but doesn't blink an eye at the Protestant youth camp that replaced it. I mean I understand the conceptual difference between someone camping versus someone living there, but that Young Life camp hosts thousands of kids year-round and has most of the same amenities (airport, fire station, public schools, etc.). Where were the land-use regulators and state attorneys concerned about church-state separation when they started operating? Of course I suppose a foreign cult is an easier target than an American Christian youth ministry.

You should probably read up on what the Rajneeshis were up to before you make equivocations like this.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

glowing-fish posted:

Does anyone have an opinion/insight into Washington-3 (Clark County and SW Washington) and Jaimie Herrera-Beutler?

She came into office on the Tea Party wave of 2010, and I am trying to figure out whether she has won reelection through A) incumbency B) being a good politician C) SW Washington being more conservative than I usually think of it as being or D) re-districting.

Right now, she is the only Republican congresswoman west of the Cascades, and I wonder how long that can last.

Just wait till you see who's running against Jaime and the Miracle Baby next cycle, it's gonna be a hell of a show

• Locked thread