Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

This is what fascinates me most in existence: the peculiar necessity of imagining what is, in fact, real.

RIP old Coulee Dam laser show, your cheesy 1950s propaganda will be missed. :911:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

This is what fascinates me most in existence: the peculiar necessity of imagining what is, in fact, real.

My position is mandatory gun ownership and mandatory conscription for all citizens into the army of the free and sovereign Republic of Cascadia.

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

I support the formation of Cascadia because the flag is so much better than the WA state flag, that poo poo is boring as all hell.

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

Two unarmed black men shot by police in Olympia over the alleged attempted theft of beer from a Safeway. http://www.theolympian.com/2015/05/21/3737619/two-suspected-shoplifters-shot.html

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

Are there any Battletech pod arcades operating anymore? Those things owned, but the last time I played them was in the WotC flagship store in the U District (rip).

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

Geologists have a different meaning of soon when they talk about those things though. Soon in this case could be tomorrow, or in a few hundred or thousand years.

I too yearn for a massive earthquake to hit and trigger Ranier to erupt so I can witness downtown Seattle sink into Elliot Bay as Tacoma is swept into Commencement Bay by a cleansing wave of pyroclastic flow.

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

BMB5150 posted:

drat missed Tacoma chat. I live in Tacoma and can say it's alright living just north of 6th ave and west of Univ. of Puget Sound. Can smell the aroma if I'm going down the 509 heading into Tacoma.

To earthquake/volcano chat it's alarmist because yes at any moment the big one can happen. I've lived north of LA during Northridge that caused chaos in which they're predicting the next Northridge or worse is coming. I just typically go eh if it happens it happens. It's like seeing a documentary about Gamma Ray bursts and we're in the firing line for one so it doesn't matter to get worked up on anything until said thing happens.

At least the Tacoma aroma doesn't include a massive dosage of heavy metals like it did in the good old days of the Ruston smelter.

quote:

The Asarco smelter pours tons of material into the atmosphere daily. Among the pollutants emitted are known to be lead, mercury, cadmium and arsenic, all of which are toxic materials. The smelter has been in operation 85 years during which time the emissions have been virtually uncontrolled. Build-up of the…metals in the soil, plants, and possibly in the bodies of people living in the area proximate to the Smelter could pose a serious health hazard to those individuals…A potential public health problem of unknown extent exists in this area

quote:

When the wind went bad and the dust blew down, if there was smelter dust on your car and it damaged it, the smelter would pay for a paint job or to get it cleaned up. And if you got damage from something else they would write a check. They were a good neighbor in the sense that they could not control what the wind was doing with the effluent, but if you had damage, they reimbursed.
http://www.theirminesourstories.org/?cat=4
The plume of heavy metal contamination from the smelter reaches up to just south of Seattle on both sides of the Sound.

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

Honestly I think the key would be effective organization person to person on a local level, but the biggest barrier to any serious separatist movement in the PacNW is the US military presence. WA if it was magically independent would be a top ten nuclear power IIRC.

I'm the guy that's savagely mocked the Cascadia now people -and I don't think I'm wrong, and for many reasons I don't want to give up on the US federal government quite yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

If the vote about importing drugs was purely symbolic as it's being argued here, doesn't that make it even less excusable? If it has no legislative impact and is about optics, a lot of people see it as Murray and Cantwell visibly siding with donors over the preferences of their constituents.

What did they say/gain by voting no aside from keeping on the good side of the industries who are among their donors?

Fakeedit: correct me if I'm wrong about this amendment being popular amongst WA Dems.

ATP_Power fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Jan 13, 2017

• Locked thread