Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

BlueBlazer posted:

As progressive as it is, there is an equal amount of asinine backwardness here as well.

WA state has no income tax, but a 10% sales tax, the most regressive tax structure in the country.

This is part of why I think that Washington isn't really "progressive" it just doesn't approve of GOP racism and sexism and doesn't like DIRECTLY loving the poor TOO badly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
Well probably to a large degree its a marketing thing, her business's name goes out there in the news without any effort on her part, and any middle class liberal families that happen to be looking for nannies right now go "Oh I don't want to be using a service that isn't paying their workers enough lets go with that Annie's Nannies place they were talking about in the paper." As a nanny service its probably even LESS practical to cut hours because those hours nannying are what they're selling.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

FRINGE posted:

This is a good idea, as long as they are "always on" and include audio. (And they make it an outright crime with a mandated criminal case everytime they "malfunction" and somehow "lose all footage".)

I believe I saw an article saying washington requires permission to record audio so it'd actually be illegal for it to include audio.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Animal-Mother posted:

They do. They have concerns about the well being of their families. Cops are human beings, believe it or not.

Is Seattle that much more dangerous than Boston where this is apparently already a requirement (hence the person who used to work there wanting to import the idea here.)

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

seiferguy posted:

The Seattle Times has always attracted the conservative base (the owner of the times is more or less a tea partier). If you wanted a more moderate / left paper, there was the PI, but alas the paper is gone and their website is just reposts from other places with very little original content :smith:

I believe the News Tribune is somewhat better in that regard if you're willing to risk getting killed by your neighbors because TACOMA.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

seiferguy posted:

I lived in Tacoma for several years. The early 90s stereotype of Tacoma being a gang-haven with murders galore is highly exaggerated. In the past 10 years they've cleaned up downtown and the gang activity has dwindled. Portland Ave and South Tacoma Way are still a little sketchy, however.

Oh yeah I realize Tacoma isn't ACTUALLY very bad these days, I was just joking that people are so against saying good things about Tacoma that unless you actually live in Tacoma one's neighbors would react to getting news from the News Tribune with violence.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Mrit posted:

Honking is the rough equivalent of brandishing a gun.

Jeez don't tell him that he said he was from Texas.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Kaal posted:

Specifically 24 times more.

Well really you ought to include the senate AND house of representatives, which means an Idaho vote only counts 1.75 times as much as a California vote.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
FranceCascadia's natural border is the RhineContinental Divide.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Uranium Phoenix posted:

poo poo never getting repaired

For this at least, if a landlord takes long enough (or for particularly urgent things, literally as soon as you let the landlord know about it) you can hire someone to fix it, and then deduct the cost of fixing it from your rent.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Solkanar512 posted:

I don't understand this last part myself - why in the gently caress do the parties care about Iowa and New Hampshire? They could easily say "if you hold your primary/caucus before X then your delegates won't count".

I feel like part of it is the status quo is a lot better than a lot of other alternatives could be. The democratic primary system, IIRC, scales number of delegates to where you are in the process so there's a tradeoff being getting to vet candidates vs proportionally having more say, so there's a good chance that a fight to be an early state would result in everyone at the very start and then california on the other end having the power to singlehandedly decide the candidate.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

anthonypants posted:

Maybe I'm not as smart as the average Canby voter but I think you need to have something to tax first

Hedging their bets on if other people voted for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

oxbrain posted:

A true PNW revolutionary would have an axe.

The axe is the replacement for the sickle not the hammer, duh.

• Locked thread