Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheBalor
Jun 18, 2001

KomradeX posted:

I live in New York City and read thinking of moving out to Seattle cause I heard cost of living isn't as high as it is here. This thread is kind of selling me on the idea of not moving out to the Pacific Northwest.

It's terrible, there are rampaging rape gangs and KKK marauders that haunt the nights. Cougars haunt the day. Stay far away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheBalor
Jun 18, 2001
I have no idea why people hate high-density living. I lived in a series of sprawly towns in Oregon all my life, and following that Korea and Taiwan were like a breath of fresh air (figuratively, not literally. Yellow dust.) Literally dozens of shops within a single block, with entire commercial districts tucked away in alleyways. I know it's supposed to be ~soulless~, but I think a densely crowded cityscape feels more alive than a sterile procession of townhouses and chain stores.

TheBalor
Jun 18, 2001

computer parts posted:

Because there's too many people. I am anticipating my trip to Beijing this summer but not because of the thousands of people I have to crowd with to use the subway (and that particular anecdote is from my girlfriend, who is Chinese and grew up with that sort of environment).

Also you should hear my dad complain about how crowded Oregon is now, although when he was born there were only ~1.5 million people there.

Different strokes, I suppose. It doesn't need to be China-dense, but a lot of the PNW could stand to be smooshed in tighter, particularly in the valley.

TheBalor
Jun 18, 2001

oxbrain posted:

How much will the city have to pay to build them a new stadium?

Pretty sure he's not moving. A good part of the Clipper's value is in being in Los Angeles. Move them somewhere else, and you're looking at a huge dropoff.

TheBalor
Jun 18, 2001

Solkanar512 posted:

You have to admit, it was pretty loving hilarious how the rest of the nation was rooting for Denver.

Best was the "how would you grade this superbowl?" poll afterwards. Oregon and Washington: A+! Rest of the nation: F-!

TheBalor
Jun 18, 2001

Republicans posted:

Yeah, he could have stopped the shooter and proven Wayne LaPierre right.

Has that ever happened? I'm not being sarcastic, I'm genuinely curious how often a mass shooting has been stopped by a vigilante with a gun.

TheBalor
Jun 18, 2001

FRINGE posted:

Ive been to Beaverton. The first word that comes to mind is banal. Like it was fine, and nothing distinct comes to mind.

Agreed. Those are some bizarrely specific choices for a bunch of places that aren't really all that distinctive or memorable, at least not in a way that would be worth defining them as the "other Oregon."

I mean, Christ, Medford?

TheBalor
Jun 18, 2001

Chantilly Say posted:

Friend of mine moved from PDX to NOLA and had people ask her "but why would you ever want to leave Portland?!" and tell her they were moving there as soon as they could.

(there are actually jobs in Louisiana)

Yeah, I've lived in Oregon all my life and always thought Portland would be a beautiful place to live when I visit. But out of well over a dozen friends and acquaintances who made the pilgrimage up there after high school/college, only one has managed to get a decent job and not leave in debt-riddled disgrace. :shepicide:

Oh, and the guy who has millionaire power couple parents in Lake Oswego, but he was gonna "succeed" no matter where he went.

TheBalor
Jun 18, 2001

CaptainSarcastic posted:

The last spate of posts has made me feel quite happy about living in Eugene. We barely even have a rush hour down here.

Eugene is nice. Being able to bike everywhere is an excellent plus.

TheBalor
Jun 18, 2001

Bob Socko posted:

The best thing about Albany is that it's the same distance from a lot of nice things. Drive for about an hour and you can get to the coast, the mountains, Portland, or Eugene.

Ping's is awesome, too.

Last time I ate at Ping's, I had demon liquid farts for the rest of the evening.

Burn Ping's to the ground, all hail Ginza.

TheBalor
Jun 18, 2001

Cicero posted:

That doesn't necessarily mean anything, Germany hasn't absorbed the Netherlands (recently) and the Netherlands has about as many people as Cascadia would have.

That's because the Low Countries were ripped at like a piece of meat between the French, Spanish, Germans, and English, and their independent existence eventually came to be a helpful counterbalance between all of the major powers. Who would challenge California for the PNW? British Columbia?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheBalor
Jun 18, 2001

Shifty Nipples posted:

There is a loving college in Corvallis.

There's a community college in Albany.

• Locked thread