Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

OwlBot 2000 posted:

That's absolutely true, but I don't know that some form of colonialism can't be part of a solution in theory -- I don't trust America or anyone else to do it in reality. But suppose some invader came into a country, banned all discrimination against LGBT people, but didn't reap any financial reward for it or do anything else really. That would be some kind of colonialism, maybe, but I'd still support it if the end result were good.

Do you currently own or have you ever owned a pith helmet?

Beyond whether or not moralizing colonialism is right, I think a more practical problem is whether it would even work. The Indians themselves have tried to put the values you're talking about into effect (take a look at their constitution some time, it's pretty great) and it hasn't worked. Why would it work better if the Indian people saw it as an outside imposition?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Just in case anyone was wondering, the BJP more than doubled their seat count with a 6.5% swing. They won a huge majority with 31% of the vote. Thanks, FPTP!

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

TheBalor posted:

I actually have a gay friend in India who's more hopeful about Modi. He knows he's not likely to be LGBT friendly, but thinks that an end to coalition governments can only be an improvement, particularly if he focuses on the economy.

Your friend is real dumb.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Kurtofan posted:

I've seen plenty of comments like his friend's on the internet, what does Modi brings to the table economically that makes him so popular?

He was premier of Gujarat and is known for his "Gujarat model" that has lead to economic growth. Spoilers: the Gujarat model is just neoliberalism, and the growth has been very unevenly distributed. Doesn't stop the western media from fawning over him, though.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

OwlBot 2000 posted:

If India could impose the Kerala model plus industrialization and increase exports relative to IT and other services then they'd be in a good place. Nehru briefly tried that somewhat, but in a stop-and-go and low-effort way.

Any model which depends on selling part of your population into slavery in the Gulf is not a good model.

• Locked thread