Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I do fully admit that I'm coming from one of the GBS India rape threads, but I really feel that this should be posted when discussing the current state of the country. Just in case anybody here hasn't seen it yet, it's a bunch of very :nms: pictures covering the extreme poverty that plagues the place. It shows photos of dead and decaying bodies as well as people with disfiguring diseases, so don't click if you're feeling squeamish. It may not be the most unbiased source, but it's still worth looking through just to get an idea of what parts of the place are like.

http://www.chinasmack.com/2010/pictures/filthy-india-photos-chinese-netizen-reactions.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Ardennes posted:

Granted, those GBS threads are pretty ridiculous and I think real borderline in my honest opinion.

They are, don't get me wrong. There's a reason I owned up to reading those things.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

computer parts posted:

Anti-vaccination is popular in some parts of this country, would you say American culture endorses it?

Yeah, I'd agree with that.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Well so what?

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

ronya posted:

Seriously. Try it in another federated, decentralized, populist society close to home. America, say. How do you think that advocating that the great cities of the Eastern and Western seaboards should dictate public morality and family law in conservativesville would be received? Cursorily we could say that popular election of sheriffs and prosecutors and judges was always dumb, and that all of these posts should be filled by central appointment, but do you think this would be easy to implement in America?

If not, why on earth would you think it would be easier in India?

I don't think anybody at all is saying it would be easy.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

OwlBot 2000 posted:

That does sound bad. But I think that's stuff people do when they're losing, not when they've already won.

They're not exactly paragons.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Vermain posted:

Barring some kind of weird hypothetical scenario, what is the best "obvious" way forwards for India? A stronger central government with a greater commitment to national prosperity? Increasing professionalism in the legislature? Economic reform?

I'd say a good starting point would be to get some international pressure in place to encourage them to clean up their legislature. Their politicians are, to be blunt, horrible people. There's no going forward when the government is being run by criminals.

quote:

1,448 of India's 4,835 MPs and state legislators have declared criminal cases
641 of these 1,448 are facing serious charges like murder, rape, kidnapping
44 of 206 Congress party MPs have declared criminal charges
6 legislators in state assemblies are facing rape charges
29 of 58 ministers in Uttar Pradesh state have criminal records

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-india-21469286

edit:

FizFashizzle posted:

The best way forward is for as many Indians to study abroad as possible and return to India.

How would you go about getting them to return instead of staying there? Brain drain is a serious problem with a lot of developing nations.

Wanamingo fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Mar 12, 2014

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

FizFashizzle posted:

Familial obligations.

What, by cultivating a sense of it? I'm sure you can't expect them to return because of family all on their own, otherwise brain drain wouldn't be a problem for any nation.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

down with slavery posted:

Well, if we're going to start labeling cultures as "objectively wrong" the US seems like a great place to start.

Who gives a gently caress? This is a thread about India, not the US. You're arguing what's called an appeal to hypocrisy here.

I mean, read through this poo poo and tell me it's not objectively wrong.

quote:

Mr Pathak remembers being reprimanded by his grandmother for touching a low-caste woman in his village in the state of Uttar Pradesh.

"She forced me to swallow cow dung, cow urine, sand and Ganges water to purify myself," recalls Mr Pathak.

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=f6b_1389500792

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Individual events I'll agree we can start easily making moral judgements left and right. When you start talking about entire cultures the picture is much blurrier in my eyes.

Did you read through that poo poo like I asked? It was discussing half a million untouchables that work as scavengers, that's not an individual event.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Again, things can be bad without the entire culture being "objectively wrong". Seriously, you guys have got your panties in quite a twist over defending some really lovely justifications. I'm sorry, it takes more than few LiveLeak video descriptions for me to start painting entire cultures with some hard hitting "rational" analysis.

I don't think that people are saying that the entirety of Indian culture is bad, just that large swaths of it are. Or is there a situation where the existence of untouchables isn't objectively wrong?

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Maybe you should read the post I originally quoted...

Okay, I guess I did speak too soon there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

ronya posted:

as I said, the vitriol is because it's a cheap rhetorical tactic to shift the attention to the evil rather than the problems of the proposed solution. The more outraged you are, the less you think about the fiddly details standing in the way of catharsis

Personally, I jumped on down with slavery because it seemed to me like they were defending India's shittiness with the ideas that you can't judge other people's culture, and that America is bad too so who are we to criticize.

• Locked thread