Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
illrepute
Dec 30, 2009

by XyloJW

Rhonyn Peacemaker posted:

It comes down to cultural superiority/inferiority.

India is trying to throw off cultural influences and become their own master, only to find that the influences of their past and continuing influences from the present have shifted the power away from themselves. They will never be a first rate world power and because of the deep socioeconomic issues, as well as the deep cultural issues present in the country, they have more or less lost the right to keep their seat at the dinner table.

They need a good war, civil or otherwise, to reduce the overall population, and expose people to what it means to be free. Show them what it means to truly fight for something. Meanwhile, dam the Ganges, strip-mine as much in the way of natural resources out of the area, and setup massive block-housing with indoor plumbing.

You cannot be a world power when people poo poo in the streets.

Looking at you Philippines.

If it isn't a civil war, then it needs to be an external act of aggression, maybe China determining there is mineral wealth in the northern part of India or somesuch. Something to reduce both populations by a large number. This is called a mutually beneficial situation.

You know that right now India's birth rates are slowing and are already down to about 2.6 per family sopfff what am I saying, of course you don't, you're advocating literally Malthusianism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

illrepute
Dec 30, 2009

by XyloJW

Rhonyn Peacemaker posted:

Sometimes you need to march the poor and under-educated off to a war for god and/or country to ensure that the education and cultural change takes root. It allows things to change back home so that when the fighting stops, the changes have happened.

This would only benefit India in the long run. Unfortunately no one wants to make the hard choices and recognize that humans are a renewable resource.

A little war, some contested territory, conventional warfare in a province or two, maybe with an aggressive neighbor, and a peace treaty that changes a boarder here, a little there, and the status quo remains largely the same, except the population is now 30% lighter and the average literacy in the country just increased by 20-odd percentage points.

Look at these words, arranged in this order. There are capital letters and periods, even.

illrepute
Dec 30, 2009

by XyloJW
I don't really get why people are going after a dude for putting quotation marks around "Education" when their own posts are bookended by ones suggesting that a little war to destroy some thirty percent of the Indian population might be a good solution to go for.

illrepute
Dec 30, 2009

by XyloJW

shrike82 posted:

Considering that the OP is arguing that the impetus for change will come externally, I don't see why it's weird to interpret the thread as Colonialism 2.0

The whole discussion has been framed in a really lovely way, pretty much. I feel bad for Indian posters reading this thread, because I'm willing to stake my posting honor (lol) that vast the majority of them aren't exactly in favor of gang-rape and wife-burning and probably aren't super thrilled about Serious Posting In Capital Letters arguing in favor of colonial domination, war, etc.

illrepute
Dec 30, 2009

by XyloJW

Fallom posted:

Haha yeah I guess you're right, consider myself told. Welp, can't stay long to chat I'm off to the town square to rape and burn the newest widow and fight with a 7-11 clerk over her possessions.

Go back to GBS instead.

shrike82 posted:

How about prison culture in the US?
That poo poo is enough for UN peacekeepers I'd say.

It's possible to acknowledge India has problems without equivocating America's problems to India's. As another poster said, they're not quite on the same scale.

illrepute fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Apr 15, 2014

illrepute
Dec 30, 2009

by XyloJW

EXTREME INSERTION posted:

Way to go guys you just equated westerners trying to ban sari to the holocaust

Why would anyone want to ban saris? :raise:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

illrepute
Dec 30, 2009

by XyloJW

trash squad posted:

This thread has been dormant for a bit, but thought it worth reviving

This was your first and last mistake. Someone should have made a new thread instead of resurrecting this abomination.

• Locked thread