Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

OwlBot 2000 posted:

I don't know about that -- I think the "divine right of kings" and the "great chain of being" were considered common sense or just facts of life by the vast majority of people in Medieval Europe, but nowadays such ideas are considered laughable. What changes did it take to accomplish that, or to introduce and cement the now-common idea that slavery is never acceptable?

Perhaps, but I think the morality of things like slavery, women's equality and classicism are universal and apply to every culture equally. I'm certainly not willing to treat those issues as though they're morally relative and culturally dependent.

The only way things can disappear from a culture is if the people themselves decide to abandon those things. An outsider coming in by force and trying to eliminate parts of the native culture in order to fit the invader's view of how society should be doesn't work. Even if the invader's intentions are genuinely good and pure and moral according to their own standards (remember, the colonialists often imposed cultural changes that fit medieval Europe's view of what was good and pure and moral), the people aren't going to change their ways just because some jackass outsiders with a lot of money or guns say so.

OwlBot 2000 posted:

Here's what I mean: strong separation of 'church' and state, abolition of laws that enforce religious practices, no religion taught in schools or religious schools, and.. that's about it. At least in Europe, doing that plus raising standards of living makes fundamentalism decline greatly.

Having a constitutionally-enshrined separation of church and state, a ban on laws which enforce religion on the populace, and removing religion from the public schools sure have done a lot to eliminate fundamentalism in the richest country in the world, haven't they?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread