Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Doc Neutral
Jan 31, 2014

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Islam is not misogynistic but, say, the current culture in Saudi Arabia is, and as a culture that oppresses people systematically it's inferior to one that provides equal rights and protection. I don't see the problem in making the statement specific. I agree 'Islam is misogynistic' is a wrong thing to say but in the other case I'm talking about a specific place that I don't think anyone can argue isn't misogynistic?

Like, if we all agree misogyny is bad, and a culture where a woman is in more danger seeking help for her rape than not is bad, why can't we say 'so it'd be better if that wasn't how things were there'?

I think the problem is that what you're going for is that part of the culture that is misogynistic or perpetrates misgyny like for the example the analogue you made with a female sexual assualt victim seeking help while I think the notion he was going for that the culture as whole(everything from history, language, cuisine etc.) can't collectively be decided as being inferior, no one here is arguing that the misogyno perpetrated in that specific culture is somehow better than a more equal culture.

Edit:

Miltank posted:

actually every culture on earth is misogynistic to a degree so whatever.

Indeed and it isn't so much who is better but who's less worse in that regard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doc Neutral
Jan 31, 2014

OwlBot 2000 posted:

Obviously we can't change history, and there's no reason I can think of to change cuisine or even language (except in some very rural areas) so it's pretty clear people are talking about backwards religious and cultural practices with respect to women's position in society when they say there's problems with Indian culture.

Of course, and almost everyone here sees cases like Steubenville and realizes that "Western" culture has a long way to go, and India's problems aren't an excuse for our own. But this thread is about the specific mix of problems that hold India back.

You seem to have misunderstood me, what I meant was that stupid backwards rear end poo poo needs to change but like computer parts said earlier that when you start saying "X culture is inferior/superior to Y culture" it may signal some alarms as it's the same type of rhethoric spewn by colonialism apologists/whiteman burden, that and lately I've had to dealt with some really annoying islamophobes(the ones who thinks guys like Roberts Spencer are telling the truth) which is why I get my eye twitching when I read something along those lines.

P.S. One interesting thing is that they'll argue for women rights when it suits them but as soon as someone mentions feminism they almost instantly put their MRA-fedoras on.

Sorry for the derail btw.

Doc Neutral
Jan 31, 2014

Boogaleeboo posted:

Wow, that was a lot of words to not answer a question.

Although I'm tired of the white man's burden apologetics, if you really cared that much about the UN being used by powerful imperialist(I don't deny that btw) purposes why don't go and make an OP discussing the UN how it's good, bad and how it gets used by powerful nations to further their own goals and what you can do to prevent it, ex. Change it, remove it or replace. There I'v already made half the work for you now why don't you go and start that OP instead of cluttering up this GBS/DnD hybrid thread.

• Locked thread